Watch Out For High Blood Pressure

PilotChase

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
OkiePilot
Had a big wake up call today at AME's office while renewing 2nd class medical. Never been diagnosed or thought I had issues with my blood pressure. First reading was outside of the limits. We waited a few minutes and second reading was borderline. It is no joke. Make sure to take care of yourselves!

Huge agreement!

Mine has been elevated in the past year. Improvements in food choices and increasing exercise frequency/duration have helped a lot.

I live in the metro also. Who do you go to? just curious
Dr Shane Stone of Calypso Concierge Medical is my primary doc and he is awesome. This is his solely owned practice and not governed or hampered by any of the corporate medical groups.

He is very one on one, takes all the time needed during the office visit, and highly accessible when you need to see him more frequently than usual. He is also very quick to respond to email messages through his patient portal.

Over the past months, he has been very encouraging of a reduced caloric and carbohydrate diet to help shred needed pounds (I’m 221 and desire to bet to 180-ish) and slowly turning up the frequency and intensity of exercise.

Dr Stone also recommended using a food diary app to help with nutrition accountability. I am using MyFitnessPal for this and tweaked the daily macro nutrients to lower carbs and increase fats and proteins. MFP also diaries exercise.

Today I had a routine visit with him and we discussed that slow and steady improvement to exercise not only benefits calorie burn, but also strengthens heart muscle. And the more fit your heart, the less effort it needs to push the blood around, thus reducing blood pressure.

So for you today, if your doc prescribes meds, follow the directions and take them. The FAA permits several and wants you taking them if you need them.

And then with the guidance of your primary doctor, you can start with improving things with diet and regular exercise.

Last edited:
Had a big wake up call today at AME's office while renewing 2nd class medical. Never been diagnosed or thought I had issues with my blood pressure. First reading was outside of the limits. We waited a few minutes and second reading was borderline. It is no joke. Make sure to take care of yourselves!

The best thing I ever did for my health is the low carb diet. Lost 30 pounds. Blood pressure and cholestrol plummeted.

Eat beets and stay away from sugar. I had consistent readings in the 130's..I eat beets just about every other day and now my readings are around 110/70. No lie and no pills. Oh and I exercise daily.

I'm on high blood pressure meds, Monday when I checked my pressure it 115/61, I quit the meds.

and check daily. today, 128/68

I'm on high blood pressure meds, Monday when I checked my pressure it 115/61, I quit the meds.

I thought you aren't supposed to just stop taking a medication like that, is your doctor okay with it?

I’d tell you thats a bad idea and why, but coming from me, I’m certain you’d ignore it anyway. You should at least let your wife help with these decisions.

Exercise is important but intake is the key and what u put inside your belly.

Fast pace walk burns about 300 calories an hour.

U can eat that amount in less than 5 minutes.

Lower your calories with eating healthy foods. Drink plenty of water for your plumping.

Last edited:
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back