Future of PoA

Well said. And I'll add it removed much of the desire for actual in person personal interaction to share information between each other.
That's not a bad thing. Admittedly it's not social media, but I quite like not having to show up in an office most of the time.

I appreciate politics being banned here. At times it’s frustrating as I want to say something but that’s okay. As political as I am I find it refreshing I can escape from it here. Reguardless of your slant I think we can all agree politics have seeped into too many areas of our lives... stats are showing we all on all sides are choosing friends based on that more so than ever- that’s sad. My grandpa and one of his best buddies were political opposites they loved giving each other crap but friendship was first. We need that again but the anonymity of being online makes us all more brazen and offensive than when engaged with a person friend so I enjoy escaping it here.

I am active on the FB page for my type but I see the weakness as it’s not cataloged for future reference...

For any business or organization to be successful, the management has to truly believe that they exist to serve the customer...not the other way around.
As I've said numerous times before though, "their site, their rules."

Could it be that PoA is actually pretty cool, even if the MC doesn't do things the way each of us wants? You can't possibly please everyone, but they're doing a pretty good job with this particular horde of crazy pilots.

As long as I've been on PoA, many members (including me) have been critical of a lot of things the MC did. You can't come anywhere close to pleasing all the people all the time, especially with how diverse of a group we have on PoA in terms of viewpoints (social and political), backgrounds, locations, and our ties to aviation whether they be as a professional pilot, professional within the industry, down to the individuals flying personal turboprops for business and pleasure all the way to the 172 and ultralight pilots, and people who never flew professionally and haven't flown for years. Pleasing all the people just ain't gonna happen, no point in trying.

I don't think any MC member would say that we do things perfectly, 100% consistently, or in manners without room for criticism. But I do believe that 100% of us are in it to try to make the best community for our members. That doesn't mean that we want all people to be members, as there are some people who detract from the community. You have customers that you don't like or don't do bits for, right?

But yes, Tim, the MC makes the rules, and we're not in a competition to try to be the biggest or "best" website to discuss aviation. We work to provide the flavor we provide, and don't claim anything more or less. I don't think any MC member feels there's any competition with any other forum, Facebook group, or the like.

Are fly-ins not allowed to be discussed over there?
Ummm...I'm talking the PoA fly-ins. 6y9, Gaston's, Rough River, etc. and, no, they're not discussed "over there" wherever "over there" is.

And, of course, that brings us full circle to the suggestion that people be limited to x number of posts until they attend a fly-in and truly become a member of the community. But that dead horse was pulp long ago. Quantity of members seems to be far more important than quality of members.

Ummm...I'm talking the PoA fly-ins. 6y9, Gaston's, Rough River, etc. and, no, they're not discussed "over there" wherever "over there" is.

And, of course, that brings us full circle to the suggestion that people be limited to x number of posts until they attend a fly-in and truly become a member of the community. But that dead horse was pulp long ago. Quantity of members seems to be far more important than quality of members.
The only problem with that, for me, is that fly-ins aren't close enough to attend. The place I rent makes it difficult to have a plane more than a few hours at a time. The place closer to me prices me out of aviation as a renter. I appreciate what you wish to do.

That's a pretty elitist attitude. "You can't be one of us until you attend an initiation ceremony."

That said, I do agree that members of PoA should make an attempt to attend fly-ins, as we all know that we tend to like eachother in person even if we don't like eachother online.

Members of the MC claiming that the post counts are better than ever are simply delusional. A full third of the posts used to come from the Spin Zone (the forum’s political section), and the site was a shadow of itself afterward its closure and likely still is. You are entitled to your own opinions, but not your own facts.

The community of pilots is vanishingly small. Everyone booted off the farm makes it that much smaller. If the site dies of anything it will be over moderation.

Dang, I’ve never been curious before, but now I’m kinda curious what the number of active members has been each year. By active, someone whose posted x number of times in a given year. Still, there are few sites I visit every day and this is one of them.

Members of the MC claiming that the post counts are better than ever are simply delusional. A full third of the posts used to come from the Spin Zone (the forum’s political section), and the site was a shadow of itself afterward its closure and likely still is. You are entitled to your own opinions, but not your own facts.

The community of pilots is vanishingly small. Everyone booted off the farm makes it that much smaller. If the site dies of anything it will be over moderation.

Not sure why I'd be interested in the 1/3 of posters that were pushing their politics on an aviation message board. Good riddance as far as I'm concerned.

Not sure why I'd be interested in the 1/3 of posters that were pushing their politics on an aviation message board. Good riddance as far as I'm concerned.

Well, pilots talk politics...... and we happen to be right about everything. What else are we supposed to do sitting next to each other for hours on end?

But when the politics disagree? That can make for an uncomfortable flight.

Well, pilots talk politics...... and we happen to be right about everything. What else are we supposed to do sitting next to each other for hours on end?

But when the politics disagree? That can make for an uncomfortable flight.
Reminds me of a taxi ride I had in Port Angeles, WA. After the driver found out that I live in California, he asked me if I was a "Muslim lover." Ugh! Not something I wanted to get into when I was trying to get from point A to point B, with few if any alternatives!

Reminds me of a taxi ride I had in Port Angeles, WA. After the driver found out that I live in California, he asked me if I was a "Muslim lover." Ugh! Not something I wanted to get into when I was trying to get from point A to point B, with few if any alternatives!
Did he have a knife in his hand? :eek:

Did he have a knife in his hand? :eek:

I was having visions of being dumped by the side of the road, and if I was lucky, all my stuff being dumped with me. I don't know whether that was a realistic possibility if I told him what I thought, or if it just would have been an uncomfortable conversation, but I really didn't want to find out.

I told him that I didn't really have strong feelings one way or the other, and thankfully, that put an end to that conversation.

I was having visions of being dumped by the side of the road, and if I was lucky, all my stuff being dumped with me. I don't know whether that was a realistic possibility if I told him what I thought, or if it just would have been an uncomfortable conversation, but I really didn't want to find out.

I told him that I didn't really have strong feelings one way or the other, and thankfully, that put an end to that conversation.
I had a similar experience in Bahrain, and decided to politely nod and smile. It was one of the few times when I felt distinctly out of my element.

And that reminds me of my taxicab experience, with a political connection, not too far from there.

About 20 years ago I had flown to Oak Harbor WA for business in nearby Coupeville, the county seat, population 1,800. When my meeting was over, I phoned for a cab to take me back to the airport. By the pay phone (remember those?) was a business card for "Fred's Taxi". So I called the number and Fred himself answered.

Fred showed up in a clapped-out, late-'70s Caprice. At least it was newer and shinier than my airplane. I got in and Fred threw my briefcase in the trunk. The trunk latch didn't work well, and it took several loud slams to get it closed. Then Fred got in and turned the key. It wouldn't turn over. Fred went back to the trunk to dig out his spare battery and jumper cables.

Fred soon had the car running and the trunk closed, and we were on our way to the airport. We had a pleasant conversation, during which I learned that Fred's last name was Thurmond ... and his daddy's brother was the senior Senator from South Carolina.

Last edited:
One irony about my driver's question was that in the days or weeks following the 9/11 attacks, I saw a Middle-Eastern looking woman in a heath food store I sometimes go to in Palo Alto. I noticed that she was looking at me with fear in her eyes, and I suppose this may have had something to do with the fact that I'm about as white as they come. It made me sad, because at the same time that I saw her apparent reaction to me, I was struck by how beautiful she was.

Last edited:
Back