When does my medical expire?

Fearless Tower

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Fearless Tower
No, this is not the typical medical periodicity question. I think my AME made an error on my last medical.

Got my second class renewed in May. This was my first renewal after getting an SI for OSA.

My AME originally issued my medical in the office but forgot to add the comment ‘not valid for any class after xxxx’

I noticed it when I got home and called. He had already noticed the error and reprinted it, but had it only valid for 6 months. I reminded him that it was a second class and should be a year. He said he’d correct it and mail it to me.

What I received in the mail was a pen and ink change. Lined out the original date 12/31/19 and wrote in 5/31/20 and signed it.

And then two weeks later, he passed away.

I have in my possession, a signed medical that says not valid for any class after 5/31/20. The FAA Airman database says not valid after 12/31/19.

So, when does my medical need to be renewed?

Since the FAA database is considered the reference, I'd say 12/31/19. If your medical certificate was lost or destroyed, the reprint would say what the FAA database says. If an FAA inspector looked at your medical and saw the pen and ink change, I'd bet they'd check their online database (which they probably do anyway) and that would say 12/31/19. It may be wrong, but it's official.

Go to the FAA online airmen inquiry website and see what date is showing. Since he updated after it was issued it might take time to show online. Hopefully he left some comments on your medical that OKC can see. If it’s the wrong date I would assume a simple phone call to OKC would clear this up. 405-954-4821 option 1. Call early in the morning or around lunch.
If the correct date is online (May) They can also direct you to get a replacement certificate so you’re not flying around with crossed out dates!

Since the FAA database is considered the reference, I'd say 12/31/19. If your medical certificate was lost or destroyed, the reprint would say what the FAA database says. If an FAA inspector looked at your medical and saw the pen and ink change, I'd bet they'd check their online database (which they probably do anyway) and that would say 12/31/19. It may be wrong, but it's official.
I would agree with this; you've been done over.

And let us know the results please!

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back