The Impossible Burger

My parents have been vegan for a while now, so I’ve had lots of exposure to the Impossible burger. I agree with most of the sentiments above, it’s good. Stay far, far away from vegan cheese, though. It’s an oily, gloppy mess.

Spoiler. It's made of people.

Just give me real meat.

S38IV2T.png

5 Chemicals Lurking in Plant-Based Meats
When something sounds too good to be true, it probably isn’t. In recent years, more consumers are trying meat substitutes made with plants. But they’re not made only with plants. Fake meat can have over 50 chemical ingredients—something you wouldn’t realize if you’re ordering at a restaurant...

https://www.consumerfreedom.com/2019/05/5-chemicals-lurking-in-plant-based-meats/

I was in St. Louis when Burger King debuted the Impossible burger. It was the test market for the thing. I passed on it.

Costs more and contains no meat? No.

We bought a small package of two burger patties at the local grocer, just to try them on the grill.

My wife is allergic to EVERYTHING cow (not kidding) so beef isn't a thing around here, except for me.
  • They grilled nicely. Had to remind myself that I'm not really cooking them, as much as warming them.
  • Tasted pretty darn good.
  • They didn't shrink.
  • But it's not beef.
It'll be a limited-use item around these parts.

Burger King has had decent “veggie burgers” for quite some time. Basically a Whopper with a plant-based patty.

That with some fries or onion rings makes a good vegetarian snack when traveling. Probably high in sodium and fat, but not the worst quick meal one could grab. Around the house various offering from Morningstar or Boca Burgers make a great base that Karen improves on for a delicious meal. The “Spicy Black Bean” offerings are especially tasty. We’re not trying to turn our grandkids into vegetarians, but when they visit they enjoy what we serve as meat substitutes.

Have yet to try the Impossible Burger, but hope to soon.

Stopped by BK for an Impossible Whopper. Tasted pretty good, about the same as a regular Whopper, but not identical. Compared to the Beyond Burger, the patty was on the dry side, and the sear wasn't quite right. The texture was a bit better than that of the Beyond Burger, more crumbly.

The BKs hereabouts are all filthy dirty, and a number have closed. Indeed, even if I wanted to go there for an impossible burger I'd not know where one was.
Hamilton Rd, Eastland. Only one I can think of besides in Circleville.

The BKs hereabouts are all filthy dirty, and a number have closed. Indeed, even if I wanted to go there for an impossible burger I'd not know where one was.

A few years ago I sent a letter to the owner of the BK in Cle Elem, WA complaining about a number of things, primarily cleanliness related, and never heard back. I haven't been back since, and we pass through town a number of times a year and always get fuel at the Safeway gas station right across the road from them. Their loss.

You know who has a really good vegetarian burger?
Chili's. I have been eating the Chili's black bean burger since I was a kid. Not once did I get it because I was avoiding beef or trying to be healthy.
That thing just tastes good.

We’ll definitely try the Chili’s Black Bean Burger.

Today, Karen took me to BK for my birthday, and we both had Impossible Whoppers.

48515198511_2aef906703.jpg

We agreed it was quite good, but only marginally better that the veggie burgers they’ve had all along - just a tad more of a “grilled” flavor. We’re not in any position to compare it to a real Whooper, since neither of us has had real beef in decades, but I don’t think any carnivores would find it unpalatable.

But that’s just a guess.

I think we have established that a meat allergy is a good reason.

When I first saw this thread, I was thinking, "what, a hamburger you can't eat below 500 AGL?"

Back