Electric Harley-Davidsons?

Lol. I had a Yamaha Virago for awhile. I was on road trip once with mostly Harley’s, me and one other ‘rice rocket.’ Came out to the lot after a whistle stop and some clown had put grains of rice under our engines.
Yeah... there are douchebags of every flavor riding.

Yeah... there are douchebags of every flavor riding.

I didn’t see him as a douchbag. I thought it was funny as ell. I appreciated the creativity. It probably started when I said something like “I’m going to the store, ya want me to get some Huggies for yer scooter.”

"Every third driver is actively trying to kill us, and we're not allowed to mount a cannon".
I always carried a pocket full of steelies. If a cager got uncomfortably close to me, I’d just lob a couple over my shoulder and watch them back off real quick.

I always carried a pocket full of steelies. If a cager got uncomfortably close to me, I’d just lob a couple over my shoulder and watch them back off real quick.
It’s not getting too close behind us that’s the biggest problem. Idiots swerving and drifting into our lane (usually while staring at their phone), even when we’re RIGHT NEXT TO THE DRIVER, 2-up on an 800# bike with ALL the lights on and mufflers that can be heard clearly for a mile or so. That was the #1 threat. People turning directly in front of us was a close second.

We called it DWO... Driving While Oblivious.

It’s not getting too close behind us that’s the biggest problem. Idiots swerving and drifting into our lane (usually while staring at their phone), even when we’re RIGHT NEXT TO THE DRIVER, 2-up on an 800# bike with ALL the lights on and mufflers that can be heard clearly for a mile or so. That was the #1 threat. People turning directly in front of us was a close second.

Here you can even watch cops texting with cell phone in hand or on steering wheel. Yes there is laws against texting and driving, not slowed it down any here based on what I see

Lol. I had a Yamaha Virago for awhile. I was on road trip once with mostly Harley’s, me and one other ‘rice rocket.’ Came out to the lot after a whistle stop and some clown had put grains of rice under our engines.

Certainly that is an odd thing to do, but what negative consequence does it have?

I never let myself get near cars or trucks. I always ride at least 10 over the flow of traffic and just weave my way through the pack. Once I get a nice buffer I’ll slow down a bit until the next wave of idiots come along then speed back up and weave my way through the pack ahead of me leaving behind the idiots that were gaining on me. Riding a motorcycle in heavy traffic is basically akin to being in a live video game where anything on 4 wheels is out to kill me.

Unfortunately the loud pipes direct the noise away from the car you’re approaching...Bt he time I can hear you, I can see you. They’re not he safety factor that people seem to think they are.

Unfortunately the loud pipes direct the noise away from the car you’re approaching...Bt he time I can hear you, I can see you. They’re not he safety factor that people seem to think they are.
Loud pipes are a myth. Of course they do scare the crap out of somebody who’s asleep at the wheel as you’re blowing by them at a nice clip.

Loud pipes are a myth.
Please read my comments again. The sound of a motorcycle alerted me to pay special attention to my blind spots. One time, the sound probably saved me from merging into a motorcyclist. Another time, I wasn't intending to change lanes, but the sound alerted me that, if needed, a lane change wasn't an option for me.

Please read my comments again. The sound of a motorcycle alerted me to pay special attention to my blind spots. One time, the sound probably saved me from merging into a motorcyclist. Another time, I wasn't intending to change lanes, but the sound alerted me that, if needed, a lane change wasn't an option for me.
3 people you would’ve killed without loud pipes, none that I would’ve.

A true biker doesn’t let themselves get caught in blind spots. It’s a good way to die.

After having been run over by a semi, one that made an illegal turn, I’m keeping most of my riding on the track.

Wimp.

A true biker doesn’t let themselves get caught in blind spots. It’s a good way to die.
I agree, but that doesn't keep me from looking there anyway. Maybe they are just passing at the time I wish to change lanes.

Loud pipes are a myth. Of course they do scare the crap out of somebody who’s asleep at the wheel as you’re blowing by them at a nice clip.

I had loud pipes on my Shadow, it sounded good. I rode with a friend that had a CBR something or other. He would pass me and I'd never hear him coming. It would scare the bejeesus out of me! It sounded like an Indy car, the sound was piercing and loud, but only after he was beside me.

I agree, but that doesn't keep me from looking there anyway. Maybe they are just passing at the time I wish to change lanes.
By the time you’re even contemplating changing lanes, I’ve already blown past you. If you’ve ridden for as long as I have you soon discover that cagers are very predictable. I even see it driving an 80,000 lb semi each day. I can pretty much predict who the dumbasses are going to be just by their plates and the make and model of the vehicle they’re driving.

Reactions: Ted

had some lady 20 some years ago, must have been in another world, probably running 10-15 under speed limit, & I was running about a bit over the speed limit, when I went by her she freaked out, yanked steering wheel to right & she was in the right lane, & went down an embankment, I did not have any form of a muffler, just short drag pipes. plenty of people stopped so I didn't bother turning around to check, she wasn't aware of her surroundings & my noise scared her.

How are they gonna leak oil from an electric motor ?

I have seen them with oil reservoir to keep a constant supply to bearing, as well as an attached gearbox which is lubricated. lol.

Yes. Technically both ours are Electra Glide Ultra Classics, but Laurie’s was converted to a Street Glide. They are both sad and unused.

View attachment 76759

instead of trying to find time to ride, look at them as your transportation, so do your daily riding with, like to work, store, shopping, or any other errands, you will be surprised how the miles will rack up. if you really enjoy, don't try to make a special event just to ride, just use them like your car or truck.

instead of trying to find time to ride, look at them as your transportation, so do your daily riding with, like to work, store, shopping, or any other errands, you will be surprised how the miles will rack up. if you really enjoy, don't try to make a special event just to ride, just use them like your car or truck.

That is what I used to do. However now I am often toting kids to and from work, be it to the nanny or (soon) to pre-school. Next year when I can put all 3 on the bus to school maybe I’ll start doing that again.

That is what I used to do. However now I am often toting kids to and from work, be it to the nanny or (soon) to pre-school. Next year when I can put all 3 on the bus to school maybe I’ll start doing that again.

Understood, Family FIRST!

of course a sidecar could always be considered? lol.

my friend that got me into church, that died when he hit a trailer fender, swung too wide & fast in a curve, it was a trip to watch him & wife as they made a special seat on tank with foot pegs for their child & had small helmet, & see all three on the bike riding, he rode nearly every day unless severe storms, or snow ice. sadly she passed away from cancer, then his accident a few years later.

By the time you’re even contemplating changing lanes, I’ve already blown past you. If you’ve ridden for as long as I have you soon discover that cagers are very predictable. I even see it driving an 80,000 lb semi each day. I can pretty much predict who the dumbasses are going to be just by their plates and the make and model of the vehicle they’re driving.
Ok, you've convinced me. I won't look for motorcyclists anymore.

Ok, you've convinced me. I won't look for motorcyclists anymore.
Most people don't. Don't worry though, I'm even guilty sometimes myself of not being aware of motorcyclists . That's why it's so important for bikers to always be aware of cagers. Nobody will look out for you more than yourself.

Most people don't. Don't worry though, I'm even guilty sometimes myself of not being aware of motorcyclists . That's why it's so important for bikers to always be aware of cagers. Nobody will look out for you more than yourself.
So why bother me about it? I'm not perfect about it, but I do try. I even watched a motorcyclist pass me to see if the blind spot sensors would pick up on him in a rental car (they didn't so I know I could still run into a motorcyclist with that feature.)

But you've convinced me that it's a waste of my time.

I try to stay alert when I am in 4 wheels, but I almost got a guy in last 2 weeks, apparently he saw car in front of me same color as my car & as soon as it went past, he turned between that person & me & I assumed never saw me, he did hear my tires sliding, & me stopping, he pulled over & was shaking knowing how close he came to being run over, I gave a wave & left. but if I had not been semi alert, the outcome would have been worse.

I didn’t see him as a douchbag. I thought it was funny as ell. I appreciated the creativity. It probably started when I said something like “I’m going to the store, ya want me to get some Huggies for yer scooter.”

Certainly that is an odd thing to do, but what negative consequence does it have?

None. We all had a positively rockin good time with the whole thing.

Last edited:
Several years ago there was a rider lane splitting on the interstate. As usual, his attention was focused on cars he wanted to pass and didn't realize there was a car going faster than he was and was passing him in the left lane. As he swerved to split through the cars, he pulled a little to far to the left and caught the right front fender of the faster car, which knocked him off the bike right in front of the car to his right.

The car ran over him, splitting him from head to crotch. Of course it was all over right there. But the young couple in the car were very traumatized by the accident. They had gotten married a few hours earlier and were on their way to California for their honey moon. They cancelled their trip and family members had to come pick them up and take them back home.

Around here, 99 times out of 100 a car/bike accident will be the bikes fault. Alcohol plays a very big factor, then add speed and irresponsible behavior and it doesn't take long.

The natives are the most responsible riders around here. The really love their Harleys.

I’ve heard the whole “loud pipes are a myth, only the people behind you can hear you” baloney several times. It’s nonsense. I drive a car (and a pickup), too. In every single one of them, I can very clearly hear a motorcycle with louder than stock pipes as it approaches the blind spot. By the time it’s alongside it’s quite noticeable. Of course I don’t have the thumpa-stereo shaking the trunk lid.

And yes, only an idiot rides alongside or in the blind spot... but passing a vehicle does sort of require that you pass through both of these places. Doing so at high speed is a great way to get q-balled by some nincompoop who hasn’t yet learned what mirrors, turn signals, or eyeballs are for.

Given that the primary reasons to buy a Harley are a look and a sound, this is missing one of the key ingredients. Not interested.

Its for the !@#$% Millenials. Grrrrr....... I will keep my Street Glide.

Harley-Davidson is a local company. Several of my friends, neighbors, and family members work for them, and some of the Davidsons live near my in-laws. (The Harley family is long gone from the company.) Plus, my friend and (former?) PoAer Mike Daniels has worked with them a lot as a contractor and actually went on tour promoting the LiveWire project for a while.

H-D is hurting because their customer base is rapidly aging, shrinking and dying. Millenials don't care to ride big, old, noisy, fume-belching beasts... And if prior trends are any indication, H-D's average gas bike customer these days is about 53 years old. Only 15% of Harley riders were under 35 10 years ago, and it's only getting worse, to the point that H-D doesn't release those numbers any more.

But, rest assured that if you're not into an electric Harley, you're also not who they're targeting with LiveWire.

A different name isn't a bad idea. I thought Buell was purchased by Harley-Davison? Maybe bring the Buell name back.

Yes, Buell was purchased by H-D in a few stages, and was later shut down. An entirely new name wouldn't be a bad idea either... But I'm sure that the H-D folks have done the calculus on this and decided it was best to still call it a Harley.

Come out with one that for the same price will go 180 miles+30 reserve, can be recharged to 100% in less than 10 minutes at any gas station and I’ll be interested. For around town, elections ctric would be fine, but I tend to do stuff like ride 250 miles for lunch because I read about a barbecue joint.

And again - You are not the target market. Getting Millenials to drive anything is somewhat of a challenge with all of the transportation options available today. The people who are going to buy an electric bike are not "Iron Butt" riders. For them, transportation is a means to an end, and most of them are not traveling much thanks to the explosion of social media and other online forms of communication allowing them to socialize from afar.

my friend that got me into church, that died when he hit a trailer fender, swung too wide & fast in a curve, it was a trip to watch him & wife as they made a special seat on tank with foot pegs for their child & had small helmet, & see all three on the bike riding, he rode nearly every day unless severe storms, or snow ice. sadly she passed away from cancer, then his accident a few years later.

I had a friend like that who rode about 400 days out of the year. Only drove a 4-wheeler when he had to.

I’ve been on and off with motorcycling over the past 15 years, this Christmas being 15 years since I bought my first one. My MSF instructor died in a motorcycle crash a couple years ago, sadly.

I enjoy it, but Kansas just isn’t as fulfilling of a place to ride as Pennsylvania was, and a lot of the roads are busy enough I wouldn’t want a kid in a sidecar anyway. The bikes are paid for and almost exactly how we want them, so it’s fine, we’ll just keep them until we’re ready to ride them more again.

Aren't the church-goers supposed to say it's all god's plan, he's in a better place, etc?

H-D is hurting because their customer base is rapidly aging, shrinking and dying. Millenials don't care to ride big, old, noisy, fume-belching beasts... And if prior trends are any indication, H-D's average gas bike customer these days is about 53 years old. Only 15% of Harley riders were under 35 10 years ago, and it's only getting worse, to the point that H-D doesn't release those numbers any more.

I wonder how much of that has to do with how expensive the things are. I see a lot of V-twin Japanese cruisers (which are all Harley imitations). I had a VTX1800 and part of why I bought it was that it was about half as much as a Harley. Victory offers another flavor of the same idea, although more American.

That said, Harley also offers more or less two bikes for all the different flavors of those they sell - cruiser/touring and the Sportster (which is not anything close to a sport bike). And they’re all expensive. I think if they got the price down and made some other changes (like more horsepower) those would be the biggest things.

A Harley with Horsepower?

No.

The world would end.

I said "more" horsepower.

My wife's former Sportster 1200 with drag pipe was nothing that would touch any of the sport bikes, but it at least had enough power to get out of its own way for its weight. Even my wife's Street Glide is ok, but again, still slow. My Ultra Classic, however... that is, and always has been, way too slow. Whenever we get back into riding again I will be doing something... big bore kit, turbo, both...

I wonder how much of that has to do with how expensive the things are. I see a lot of V-twin Japanese cruisers (which are all Harley imitations). I had a VTX1800 and part of why I bought it was that it was about half as much as a Harley. Victory offers another flavor of the same idea, although more American.

That said, Harley also offers more or less two bikes for all the different flavors of those they sell - cruiser/touring and the Sportster (which is not anything close to a sport bike). And they’re all expensive. I think if they got the price down and made some other changes (like more horsepower) those would be the biggest things.

Well if Harley priced fairly & correctly, & not with false HYPE!, I am someone that you almost never see, you ever hear about flipped patch riders, those that love the brand but refuse to support the factory? I am the guy that walked into a dealership & gets shunned even when walked in to buy some oil for my bike, anyway looking at models, nothing prices evenly with options across the board, & I am going to mention "road King" all the HYPE, well in old days it was called an Electraglide Stadard, a base model, but then became overpriced with Hype.

Majority of bikes I have bought, all are paid for, I found older used ones & either rebuilt, or built for owner, then bought from owner & changed to my standards. my newest bike I still cant believe I bought a twincam, but some young yuppie bought it new in 2007, & didn't put 2k miles on it 8 years, then sold it for a price that slapped me in the face, so yes I wound up with it. then I wheeled & dealed & have a slight project early 90's Electraglide with a fresh engine. I forget the year, but I have title & would have to look to see, I have a panhead project chopper to eventually build with parts from 5 different deceased biker friends, a few Shovelheads, 1 of which basically had a nasty drag engine, & I toured a lot of the USA with in my youth, 1 old 45" flathead, & a nice old Panhead, plus a couple old BSA bikes.

I paid 10,500 for this. It would cost 40-50k to make a Harley that would run with it, and it wouldn't be reliable.

Of course Harley has always been about style, and I get that too, but they're going to have to do something different to survive. Frankly the picture isn't rosy for motorcycling in general. It faces many of the same headwinds as GA.

KIMG0278.JPG

A Harley with Horsepower?

No.

The world would end.

still have my old 73, big bore, stroker with 12:1 compression & big cam, ported dual plugged heads, yep it was quite fast. but its worn out, all took apart, but I did a lot of traveling with it. lets say its fun? lol.

Reactions: Ted
Back