What is the opposite of a snow-bird, and where do they go?

JOhnH

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Right Seater
The heat in Florida is bothering me more than ever. Either that, or as I get older I just don't care to tolerate it as much as I used to. Snow-birds come down to Florida for the warm weather in the winter. But where should a Floridian go for cool weather in the summer (mainly July and August).

Today was the first time we took the Bo up in about a month. It is just too damn hot. But I've been to places like Milwaukee in the summer and it was a 100degrees there.

I could stand it if it only got really hot mid-day for a short time, but it was 82degrees and 95% humidity at 8am today. 90 by 9am. I love being outside but in weather like this, I feel like am trapped in my air conditioned house for the summer. I only get out to get in my air conditioned truck to go to an air conditioned store or restaurants, or anywhere with air conditioning. I hate that.

Last edited:
I don’t think it’s you. My wife and I are in our 30’s, and we feel that the sun is biting more than ever. Throw in the humidity on top of that, and it is so bad that we find ourselves showering a two or three times a day because it causes us to sweat so much just doing something simple like taking the dogs out in the afternoon. This is the first year we’ve been like this.

Several of our friends have house boats in Southeast that they winterize in late Sept. and summarize late April, and spend the summer fishing, then go to Tx in the winter.

I was just in Upper Michigan and I was thinking it would be a nice place to spend the hot months of summer.

Here in Arizona, we call 'em "Sunbirds".

That's one word for 'em. ;)

I usually call them something else as in...get off the freakin' road if you're not sure where to go or at the very least, do the speed limit.

Where are you in AZ?

Last edited:
Vail, CO for one. Altitude will cool you down, and low humidity to boot!
And the price will really astonish you. Consider Wyoming, Idaho, Montana for cooler and less expensive. There are cheaper and more “agreeable” places in Colordo....Granby area, for one. Nice little airport with a cute museum. Or head over to the Steamboat area. Or go south Colorado/north New Mexico for cooler and not as expensive as the Vail area.

Not quite what you are asking but here in Carolina they have a term called halfback. It means northerners who moved to Florida and didn't like the heat so they moved half way back and settled here.

Aunt and uncle have a place in Marquette Michigan and their primary residence is in the Fort Myers area of Florida. They come up here in late April or May and then head back in October.

And the price will really astonish you. Consider Wyoming, Idaho, Montana for cooler and less expensive. There are cheaper and more “agreeable” places in Colordo....Granby area, for one. Nice little airport with a cute museum. Or head over to the Steamboat area. Or go south Colorado/north New Mexico for cooler and not as expensive as the Vail area.

Not surprised at that at all! I only mentioned it because I have direct experience with summer in Vail... three weeks in August, all expenses paid while taking a course sponsored by the University of Chicago.

-Skip

Last edited:
But where should a Floridian go for cool weather in the summer (mainly July and August).
Most of my old customers around the Gulf coast would head to Montana, Idaho, or Alaska. I go to Alaska. However, this year it was 20 degrees above normal and even hit 90.

Mountains of SW Virginia/NE Tennessee- you shouldn’t be surprised what a change in elevation will do..

I was in San Francisco for 10 days in July. I wore a hooded sweatshirt most of the time. I froze crossing the Golden Gate Bridge in an open air bus. I thought if I would be a great place to escape th summer heat if your main home was in Florida.

Not Whidbey. It rains all the time.

Washington State around Puget Sound, especially the Whidbey Island area, is the best place to go.

Along with that temperature you should also post the average price of housing there's a reason people don't go to California to retire. #49 out of 50.

Along with that temperature you should also post the average price of housing there's a reason people don't go to California to retire. #49 out of 50.
Yes, everyone stay away. It's too crowded here already, hence the high price of housing.

Yes, everyone stay away. It's too crowded here already, hence the high price of housing.
Reminds me of a quote purportedly attributed to Yogi Berra;
Nobody goes there any more; its way too crowded.

But the Upper Peninsula of Michigan sounds pretty damn good. Except that I might run into @EdFred ;)

Is that the reason there isn't a name for people escaping from Florida to California?

As someone who splits his time between FL (KCDK) and the VA mountains (KVJI), I would recommend keeping the distance between homes reasonable - circumstances will arise making going to FL in the summertime advantageous and vice versa.

Well yeah, there’s that... cost of living and taxes really suck here. But it’s just so pleasant all the time though.

Coeur d’ Alene, Idaho. Warm days, beautiful lake and lots of surrounding lakes, usually pretty good flying weather. No bugs like Florida. Lots to do in the summer and if you feel crazy, fairly short drive to Seattle or Portland.

Back