Important! Urgent!

Morgan3820

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
El Conquistador
So I I am repainting my garage floor. It functions as my workshop too. So the big question is do I put the little colored flakes in the paint or leave it plain? It was painted gray but I wanna repaint it into a beige to brighten things up a little bit. But the real question is do I want to be flaky or not flaky? My daughter thinks flaky is a little flaky and that I should leave it plain. The Daughter is usually correct but this is a man cave so I felt a need to get a manly opinion and Ron Swanson won’t answer his phone. The Wife is indifferent.

So I I am repainting my garage floor. It functions as my workshop too. So the big question is do I put the little colored flakes in the paint or leave it plain? It was painted gray but I wanna repaint it into a beige to brighten things up a little bit. But the real question is do I want to be flaky or not flaky? My daughter thinks flaky is a little flaky and that I should leave it plain. The Daughter is usually correct but this is a man cave so I felt a need to get a manly opinion and Ron Swanson won’t answer his phone. The Wife is indifferent.

Tell she can have it her way. Then hand her a brush and a can of paint.

Paint or Expoxy?

The little flakes are rubberized? If so, they act to give you traction on a wet floor, otherwise it’s as slick as ice. I know as I chose NOT to put those things down and epoxied the garage floor in my former home. I so... go “flaky.”

30 years ago (oh, it hurts to think of it being that long ago) we had a 10 meter RF semi-anechoic chamber installed at my employer (Tandem Computers, Cupertino, CA). The welded steel floor was painted with a two part epoxy that we never had to maintain after that. Grey in color. IIRC we had some sand mixed in with the paint to improve traction. You really want to do something along that line as it will be too slick otherwise.

Our neighbor re-did their garage floor a few years ago and did the flaky look. I liked it.

Flakes and clear coat with some mixed in grit.

Two tone flakes and have your daughter come up with a design. Whatever you do you truly need some grit

No flake. Looks cleaner..though if you have a leaky vehicle the flake will mask the fluid better. But make parts harder to find. No flake final answer

I did the flakes in my garage. If I were doing it over again I'd skip them. I'd dust it with a little fine (sandblast) sand, then clear coat.

I always loved 70's painting, never got good at "ribbon" painting, where you paint 3" wide ribbon and bows. Lol. Do lo be my flake, had agitator cup, started painting in mid 1980's

Go with the flakes. It’s hard to find a small dropped anything, but the extra texture and thickness looks great.

I’d suggest full coverage on the flakes, not just a few here and there.

Here’s how my garage looks with the flakes.

36d088626ed4f4b1e625a3a8f2b7ba92.jpg

Now for a hangar floor, go with no flakes.

1afc7a6914ebd7347a71d0ada9cfd648.jpg

I went with flakes in the epoxy but lighter colored than Jim's (which also looks super nice!)

C233272A-4FB7-4186-9570-8434CA0A62B9.jpeg

Definitely the sand/grit for traction. Flakes look great because they hide the dirt/spots. But they also hide the screws/washers/rivets. I did flakes in the man cave (boy barn for the kids-20X20 shed with pool table and gaming tv etc.). Looks great.

We did heavy (1/4”) flakes and silica/sand/grit in our CO home and loved it.

Our TX home is flakes, 1/4” for most, bordered with 1/8”.

a17226c83f038c1def63b5cc18f30b37.jpg

Both were commercial jobs.

Go with the flakes. It’s hard to find a small dropped anything, but the extra texture and thickness looks great.

I’d suggest full coverage on the flakes, not just a few here and there.

Here’s how my garage looks with the flakes.

36d088626ed4f4b1e625a3a8f2b7ba92.jpg

Now for a hangar floor, go with no flakes.

1afc7a6914ebd7347a71d0ada9cfd648.jpg
I need you to come help organize my garage.;)

Back