Wilderness flying

AKBill

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
AKBill
Wilderness flying,
1a(1) : a tract or region uncultivated and uninhabited by human beings
(2) : an area essentially undisturbed by human activity together with its naturally developed life community
b : an empty or pathless area or region
Do you expect to survive an off airport landing in a heavily wooded mountain area? What technique would you use to put an aircraft down with no engine power?

Questions that go through my head on almost every flight flying in SE AK
edit: Gone fishing, hope to catch a few King Salmon today. Talk to you all later..:)

Do you expect to survive an off airport landing in a heavily wooded mountain area?

yes.

What technique would you use to put an aircraft down with no engine power?

Same as any. Best glide, head towards landing area. Land using the aircraft in any means to protect the passengers and myself.

Yeah, flying the route between Haines and Skagway in a sled always made me nervous.

Gone fishing, hope to catch a few King Salmon today.

If the Halibut are biting, send a few my way..!!

I got 2 little buts on the same line a couple weeks ago outside Seward.
b4c6234cb7d927797f7d28b039f8a783.jpg

6 pole boat catch of the day
4e9c38483997d931edbf44cd9f58f558.jpg

I got 2 little buts on the same line a couple weeks ago outside Seward
Nice, I fished out of Sewart a few years ago. Love the small "chicken halibut". We jigged for the ones we caught. Also caught Ling Cod..:)

The whole country has places like that - both coasts, fly-over, etc.

We think about Alaska or the Rockies, but take a look at Maine, Georgia, Tennesee, PA, etc. . .shoot, GA planes have gone into forests in site of major population centers and disappeared.

Just because you can see civilization doesn't mean civilization can see you.

The whole country has places like that - both coasts, fly-over, etc.

We think about Alaska or the Rockies, but take a look at Maine, Georgia, Tennesee, PA, etc. . .shoot, GA planes have gone into forests in site of major population centers and disappeared.

Just because you can see civilization doesn't mean civilization can see you.
If you landed in standing corn, you wouldn’t be seen until harvest. Thanks for the reminder.

my primary home joins 4,000 acres of govt land, all wooded. from my place to god knows where, even when you see homes, land is mountainous and treacherous, while my other place is also remote, I see pastures for miles but no homes. a lot safer there, than here if an emergency happened

IMG_1935.jpg 7:00 am this morning...:) Not the best picture, left camera at home..:(

View attachment 76774 7:00 am this morning...:) Not the best picture, left camera at home..:(
Looks purdy!

I have had Ling Cod. Tastes good and it was always fun to watch them underwater when scuba diving in WA. So, does 2-dimenional fish (Halibut) taste any different than 3-dimensional fish? :D

Looks purdy!

I have had Ling Cod. Tastes good and it was always fun to watch them underwater when scuba diving in WA. So, does 2-dimenional fish (Halibut) taste any different than 3-dimensional fish? :D
No but the smaller ones 50 pounds or less is what I like. Easy to clean, and not to much to put in my small freezer.

No but the smaller ones 50 pounds or less is what I like. Easy to clean, and not to much to put in my small freezer.
Do you shoot them as I have seen on a certain reality show? I realize they get pretty huge.

Do you shoot them as I have seen on a certain reality show? I realize they get pretty huge.
They do shoot the larger ones. I just cut the line and let them go. Who wants a 200 pound fish? Better to let the big ones go and spawn IMHO.

Back