INVENTOR FLIES JET-POWERED HOVERBOARD ACROSS ENGLISH CHANNEL IN JUST 22 MINUTES

BrianNC

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
BrianATL
This happened a few days ago but couldn't find a previous post. Ignore if posted already. :)

Franky Zapata already has a world record to his name, for longest hoverboard flight. But the inventor and daredevil just wasn't satisfied. So he decided to fly his hoverboard—actually, we'll use the preferred term, Flyboard—across the English Channel.

His first try on July 25 didn't go well. His second try on August 4? He made it in 22 minutes. On a tiny flying platform, from the coast of France to England...

https://www.maxim.com/news/inventor-flies-hoverboard-english-channel-2019-8

I believe it uses 5 or 6 mini turban powered thrusters. He says it takes about 100 hours to learn to fly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Seems like it would be very hard to deep your balance. I noticed he was wearing a parachute.

I read that there was a mid-channel refueling but they didn't say if it was while aloft or was there some boat or barge to conduct this.

I read that there was a mid-channel refueling but they didn't say if it was while aloft or was there some boat or barge to conduct this.

A landing, but I don’t know on what. The article I read about the first attempt was that he missed landing on the refueling point the first time, and dunked himself.

He needs to make a seated version for us lazy Mericans. I can’t stand on top of 6 turbans for that long.

Isn't the place he crossed only about 20 miles wide.?? And didn't someone do the crossing using pedal power to propel the aircraft.??

Navigation was easy....

It’s kind of nutty. I had read that he has enough fuel for ten minutes of flying.
He flew to demonstrate his invention. He did this a few weeks ago in France, to demo for the French politicians, carrying a rifle (or a mock up of one) as his idea is army troops using these which makes no sense to me. Ten minutes of flying time, having to balance while in combat, aim and shoot? While monitoring how much fuel left?

Just seems bizarre to me.

Yes. In fact, the first fail was during a refueling attempt. Kerplunk.

THANKS FOR THE ALL-CAPS THREAD TITLE I WOULD HAVE MISSED IT OTHERWISE

THANKS FOR THE ALL-CAPS THREAD TITLE I WOULD HAVE MISSED IT OTHERWISE

All I did was copy and paste. I take no credit. Thank Maxim for that.
TDAtVPI.gif

You should also read this thread. ;)

https://www.pilotsofamerica.com/community/threads/why-post-useless-comments.120565/

Yes, the channel was crossed with a human powered aircraft in 1979, the Gossamer Albatross. The one that crossed is at Udvar-Hazy in DC and the backup is in the Museum of Flight in Seattle.

For military use something like this would be awesome. If it can go 5-10-15 miles, or more. Imagine a battalion of guys all geared up and dispersed around able to quickly fly to an objective and assault. With no airborne op, dont need 50 black hawks or Osprey's.

For military use something like this would be awesome. If it can go 5-10-15 miles, or more. Imagine a battalion of guys all geared up and dispersed around able to quickly fly to an objective and assault. With no airborne op, dont need 50 black hawks or Osprey's.

Kind of what I was thinking. How would I feel if I thought I was in a secure area when suddenly a platoon size unit flies over the hill on these things shooting the whole time.

Isn't the place he crossed only about 20 miles wide.?? And didn't someone do the crossing using pedal power to propel the aircraft.??

Navigation was easy....

Yes, the channel was crossed with a human powered aircraft in 1979, the Gossamer Albatross. The one that crossed is at Udvar-Hazy in DC and the backup is in the Museum of Flight in Seattle.

I remember reading the story of that and the interview with the cyclist. He was wiped at the end. Gave me a distinct understanding of “excess horsepower” being the ability to climb. He couldn’t. Ground effect the whole way as I recall.

I remember reading the story of that and the interview with the cyclist. He was wiped at the end. Gave me a distinct understanding of “excess horsepower” being the ability to climb. He couldn’t. Ground effect the whole way as I recall.

Maybe the wrong gear ratio, or should have shifted gears...:rolleyes:

gossamer_albatross_01.jpg

But still a pretty cool accomplishment.

Back