Checkrides cost how much? Really?

How much did your last flight test cost?

• Total voters

IK04

En-Route
PoA Supporter
Display Name

Display name:
LNXGUY
After chatting with a few local professional pilot types recently, I learned how much DPEs are charging for flight tests.

I also learned that if a person can give Airplane and Helicopter evals, they will go right to the top of the waiting list for DPE applicants...

I am now seriously considering applying for a DPE position in my area. I don't fly for a living any more and I'm too old to restart my career. This could be a fun way to stay in the flying scene without paying for it...

I would do it purely for the enjoyment of helping pilots get their ratings and providing a needed service.

I remember it costing me ~100 bucks back in 2012. Are some guys really charging 1000+?

It’s all about supply and demand. There are more people wanting checkrides than there are DPEs with time right now. Especially in the larger metro areas. Even out here in the sticks in the Midwest examiners are now charging $500 for any half day checkride and $1000 for a full day one, and the wait times are getting longer.

I think the most I paid for a checkride was $500, which was for my initial flight instructor certificate. That was on the high side at the time but there weren’t any other choices.

Mine was $700. Had to discontinue due to wx and then round 2 tacked on another $50, so $750 total.

Not counting the celebratory steaks and alcohol, of course. Throttle before 8 bottles, I think that’s the rule...

Mine was $300, if I recall back in 2013, DPE was easy to schedule and I do not recall having any challenges with a long wait time however I did plan ahead and got him lined up early.

After chatting with a few local professional pilot types recently, I learned how much DPEs are charging for flight tests.

I also learned that if a person can give Airplane and Helicopter evals, they will go right to the top of the waiting list for DPE applicants...

I am now seriously considering applying for a DPE position in my area. I don't fly for a living any more and I'm too old to restart my career. This could be a fun way to stay in the flying scene without paying for it...

I would do it purely for the enjoyment of helping pilots get their ratings and providing a needed service.

Maybe in Texas. Not much demand for helicopter DPEs in my parts.

I did my PPL ride in an LSA. The need to find a DPE who had enough hours in a light sport limited my options and made scheduling a challenge.

The highest I've heard so far is $1600 for an Airplane ATP. It was probably in a jet and included the type rating...

What a bargain! (not.)

Paid $375 for my SES ride last year.

I paid $400 this year for PP checkride in Oklahoma.

I thought everyone wanted DPE's to give the checks instead of those evil FAA Inspectors? The FAA Inspector check was free.

Here at my flying club in Livermore, CA, I was just told that the DPE charges $700. Then you’ve got the cost of renting the plane on top of that, which is around $130/hour.

Good for you. I’m all for free enterprise, supply and demand, buy low, sell high and all that stuff. But I’m not for price gouging. Doubling, tripling the cost of goods during disasters. Now this ain’t no disaster but the analogy seems to be there. I had no idea checkrides were costing that much. Question, how much does it cost to become a DPE?

$750 cash only for my ATP in 2016. You gotta be asleep at the wheel not to see the scheme.

Ok. About how many days does it take? Or maybe you read the question wrong. I was wondering what costs to BECOME a DPE
If I can bill out $1000 a day, but choose to BECOME an examiner instead, it costs me $1000 a day to BECOME an examiner.

As far as how long it takes, I’d say 3-5 years minimum.

If I can bill out $1000 a day, but choose to BECOME an examiner instead, it costs me $1000 a day to BECOME an examiner.

Ok. Are you saying that a DPE cannot also be an active CFI? Of course he would not be examining his own students if he could.

Ok. Are you saying that a DPE cannot also be an active CFI? Of course he would not be examining his own students if he could.
They can.

Our chief pilot at the FBO is a DPE and also does flight instruction. He just can’t give dual to a student and then sign them off for a check ride and then perform that ride.

No, but the FAA also likes to see some real world experience, and in today’s market that’s not $20 an hour.

Here’s the application for anybody who wants to make easy money or give back to the community. ;)

I'm gonna try again. How much is someone likely to spend to become a DPE. Not everything you've spent since you first started flying. Not what your losing if you quit a higher paying job to do it. Just on obtaining the DPE designation, or license, or certificate or wtf it's called. Is there an application fee? Is there a check ride? Do you have to attend classes/seminars or what ever? What's the fee, tuition of those. Does it require flight hours. Not any minimum hours required to apply. Just any flight hours that are specifically for DPE training? And not the cost of a baseball bat I'm gonna whack @MauleSkinner upside the head with if he don't get serious about this:p

I'm gonna try again. How much is someone likely to spend to become a DPE. Not everything you've spent since you first started flying. Not what your losing if you quit a higher paying job to do it. Just on obtaining the DPE designation, or license, or certificate or wtf it's called. Is there an application fee? Is there a check ride? Do you have to attend classes/seminars or what ever? What's the fee, tuition of those. Does it require flight hours. Not any minimum hours required to apply. Just any flight hours that are specifically for DPE training? And not the cost of a baseball bat I'm gonna whack @MauleSkinner upside the head with if he don't get serious about this:p

Application is made through a FSDO. The FSDO determines if there is a need.

Applicant must meet minimum standards. Also the applicant must take a course at the FAA Academy in OKC. And also a written exam.

If selected, the DPE must be observed by an Inspector giving a check ride. Once that’s done, he’s designated as an DPE. After that, he must be observed by the FAA on a recurring basis.

See FAA Order 8900.2 for information.

Its something like 2000hrs tt , 500 dual given and appropriate ratings. Im applying in another 100 hours but i dont count on getting a DPE spot for at least 10 years.

Im tired of non standard DPEs i figure i can at least be that.

Back