Fatal crash near Philly

I heard reports it was an 800’ ceiling or so, off for a college visit, early morning. Would daytime, VFR of made a difference? Maybe, maybe not. Tragic no doubt.

Wow, that kind of hits home for me. I flew up to Syracuse last month for a college visit with one of my daughters and wife. Unexpectedly, over half the flight was in actual including doing the lowest ceiling ILS of my career. Thankfully I was just coming off getting my ME and did an instrument proficiency as well but it was still a bit nerve racking, especially with them on board. Feel terrible about this. Just can't imagine what the rest of their family is going through.

I heard reports it was an 800’ ceiling or so, off for a college visit, early morning.

I live nearby and was driving to work within about 1 1/2 miles at the time of the crash. Weather was poor... very low ceilings and mist. I’m an instrument student and the wx caught my attention, even before I heard the news.

I’m making a conscious effort to refrain from speculation, but will be watching this one closely hoping to learn from it. The debris field looks long and almost directly straight out from runway 33 at PNE. Witnesses report hearing a loud engine just prior to the crash. Radio comms seemed routine, except that he called tower on the handoff to departure. They gave him the correct frequency but that was the last transmission. Flight aware shows an abrupt and rapid descent from ~1300’. Nearby OVC was reported to be around 900’ and the elevation there is about 325’ so he may not have been in the soup for long when whatever happened. He was over densely populated suburbia at the time, but had an abandoned but well known 8000’ runway 3 miles to the NW.

Very very sad, particularly when it’s close to home.

I live nearby and was driving to work within about 1 1/2 miles at the time of the crash. Weather was poor... very low ceilings and mist. I’m an instrument student and the wx caught my attention, even before I heard the news.

I’m making a conscious effort to refrain from speculation, but will be watching this one closely hoping to learn from it. The debris field looks long and almost directly straight out from runway 33 at PNE. Witnesses report hearing a loud engine just prior to the crash. Radio comms seemed routine, except that he called tower on the handoff to departure. They gave him the correct frequency but that was the last transmission. Flight aware shows an abrupt and rapid descent from ~1300’. Nearby OVC was reported to be around 900’ and the elevation there is about 325’ so he may not have been in the soup for long when whatever happened. He was over densely populated suburbia at the time, but had an abandoned but well known 8000’ runway 3 miles to the NW.

It was more than just overcast. No real mist but horrible haze. Headed to court in Norristown I could see from Plymouth down the slight valley toward King of Prussia where this occurred and the viz was just miserable. Won't know what happened for a while could have been anyone or more of a number of things. PIC was IR and looks like he did a lot of what looks on FA to be Instrument practice in the past month. I'd think given the local conditions he was in it shortly after takeoff.

...He was over densely populated suburbia at the time, but had an abandoned but well known 8000’ runway 3 miles to the NW.

Warminster (assuming you mean that) is half that length, and has been closed for more than 20 years, but I'd imagine that the pilot wasn't in control to even make a choice of going elsewhere.

Warminster (assuming you mean that) is half that length, and has been closed for more than 20 years, but I'd imagine that the pilot wasn't in control to even make a choice of going elsewhere.
I think he means Willow Grove

I think he means Willow Grove

Yeah, I was referring to Willow Grove. Pilot was local and I’m sure was familiar. That would have been the most obvious emergency landing spot if he had engine issues and the time and wherewithal.

Part of the runway at Johnsville (Warminster) remains, but they put a tall retirement community at the end.

Circumstances suggest a medical event of some kind, but nobody knows quite yet.

Being recently IFR certified, the low vis and IMC to me seems more scary in take off and climb out phase of flight. A lot going on- I find more disequilibrium during that phase of flight climbing-turning-head moving to adjust power settings.
The approach phase I find a lot less harrowing in the muck.

Being recently IFR certified, the low vis and IMC to me seems more scary in take off and climb out phase of flight. A lot going on- I find more disequilibrium during that phase of flight climbing-turning-head moving to adjust power settings.
The approach phase I find a lot less harrowing in the muck.

I would agree. Climbing into the clag soon after takeoff can be disconcerting, and requires careful attention after the transition to IMC. Letting attitude or altitude wander in this phase of flight can be quite hazardous given the close proximity of terrain.

I would agree. Climbing into the clag soon after takeoff can be disconcerting, and requires careful attention after the transition to IMC. Letting attitude or altitude wander in this phase of flight can be quite hazardous given the close proximity of terrain.

My CFI always drilled into me that you have to be on the instruments BEFORE transitioning to the muck. So if it’s a low ceiling you’ve got to get focused on your scan quickly. Otherwise it’s easy to get behind.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back