Instrument Checkride Tomorrow

steviedeviant

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
StevieD
Well POA, every since getting my PPL in 2015, this forum has allowed me to read and learn from others. Now it is time for the instrument rating. I am not doing this as a career, but to be a better pilot and allow for some flexibility in flying. Either way, not bad for a guy who use to not even get on airplanes. But, tomorrow is the instrument check ride. I am confident, but still worried about what the examiner can throw at me - another words, I don't know what I don't know type concerns. Pass or not, I look forward to posting my experience to hopefully be a help to others.

I have tabbed all my logs, engine logs, plane logs, to make it easier. I have backup Ipad, updated avionics, updated all charts. Medical, PPL License, ID, etc. etc. Updated FAR/AIM marked for those items I know are very important (least it will make it look like I read the entire book :-0) Of course, I have a real job, but after that today, I just plan on reviewing a few items and relaxing and thinking it through.

Any last minute tips?

I'm looking forward to hearing about it. Mine is coming as soon as I can finish IACRA and schedule with a DPE.

Well POA, every since getting my PPL in 2015, this forum has allowed me to read and learn from others. Now it is time for the instrument rating. I am not doing this as a career, but to be a better pilot and allow for some flexibility in flying. Either way, not bad for a guy who use to not even get on airplanes. But, tomorrow is the instrument check ride. I am confident, but still worried about what the examiner can throw at me - another words, I don't know what I don't know type concerns. Pass or not, I look forward to posting my experience to hopefully be a help to others.

I have tabbed all my logs, engine logs, plane logs, to make it easier. I have backup Ipad, updated avionics, updated all charts. Medical, PPL License, ID, etc. etc. Updated FAR/AIM marked for those items I know are very important (least it will make it look like I read the entire book :-0) Of course, I have a real job, but after that today, I just plan on reviewing a few items and relaxing and thinking it through.

Any last minute tips?

Follow your own advice, “Of course, I have a real job, but after that today, I just plan on reviewing a few items and relaxing and thinking it through.” Don’t overthink though, review a few items and relax. Eat good, sleep good.

Good luck. Relax. You wouldn’t have been recommended if you your CFI didn’t think you were ready.
Don’t forget to vocalize. If you are deviating from a heading or altitude. Just simply announce you are a little high or off and are correcting. Just don’t sit there in silence and try to correct without dpe noticing.

Good Luck. You sound prepared so go out and show em what you know!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Take this advice with a grain of salt, because it may be very specific to the DPE ive had both both checkrides, but I would always say its better to admit when you dont know something and go through where to find it rather than trying to BS your way through it. For instance, I simply never saw it as worth my time to memorize equipment requirements for VFR and IFR flights and I always explained it as “if anything on the plane is inop, first I would determine if i would feel comfortable taking the flight without it then i would confirm i legally dont need it”. I just think in general ive seen too many people cramming information along those lines into their head when its really not needed. Just speak conservatively and discuss risk management on the oral and you’ll be fine.
For the practical, take your time. If you are ever feeling behind the airplane, this is one of the very few times training aircraft work in your favor. Fly at 90 knots in cruise if you need more time to brief and approach who cares (I would verbalize why you are doing it still). No need to try to rush through the test when that will likely just cause more problems. Also dont be afraid to tell the DPE to standby if he asks you anything when you cant spend the time to answer his question. Lots of examiners do that very intentionally to see if you can be distracted.
Most of all, you've had your license for years now, and you know how to fly a plane. If anything starts happening, ask for delay vectors and fly the plane.
Aviate. Navigate. Communicate.

Good luck!!!

Any last minute tips?
Don’t get creative. Fly it exactly like you’ve been trained. Now isn’t the time for experimenting. You’re going to do great! And I’m right behind you - next couple weeks.

Best of luck!

Oral, just answer what you know and know where to look up other stuff.

Practical : Your airplane. Never stop being PIC. If something is going to crap, say it, fix it.

And forget about any mistakes made more than 30 seconds ago. Focus ahead not behind. If the DPE didn’t say the ride is over, the ride isn’t over. Keep flying. Don’t get in a brain loop about what you did or didn’t do five minutes ago.

And ... from personal experience. Remember to pull the chocks. It saves having to shut down, get out, remove them, and then start over ... hahahahaha. :) (Damn that was embarrassing.)

Now go laugh at my dumb ass and get some rest the night before. Don’t cram.

Remember. The penalty for screwing it up, is that you have to fly more. Terrible isn’t it? :)

But just relax, do your thing, be PIC, and you’ll be walking out a member of the League of Temporary Airmen again for the first time in a while. :)

[snip]

And ... from personal experience. Remember to pull the chocks. It saves having to shut down, get out, remove them, and then start over ... hahahahaha. :) (Damn that was embarrassing.)

[snip]
On my PP checkride (first iteration) I checked the oil and pulled the gascolator drain on the C-172 (popped the little door on top of the cowling). Finished the preflight, we both got in, got strapped, I started up. I looked out and the #)*$ door was still open. I told the examiner, (He laughed pretty hard.) shut down, got out and closed it. Got back in, restarted and proceeded with the ride.

I flunked but that had nothing to do with it.

John

Did you get the oral and paperwork done or just elect to reschedule it all?
My dpe was pretty adamant about not starting a checkride that we had a good chance of not finishing because of weather.

My dpe was pretty adamant about not starting a checkride that we had a good chance of not finishing because of weather.

Their current FAA guidance says not to.

The old stories of “let’s knock out the oral and come back for the flight after a discontinuance” are in the process of becoming a thing of the past.

The old stories of “let’s knock out the oral and come back for the flight after a discontinuance” are in the process of becoming a thing of the past.

This is exactly what happened. They didn't want to start the check ride at all, including the oral, unless we knew for sure we could get it done. So I still have to do the entire thing. Just gave me time for more practice.

Anybody know the reasoning behind that?

Anybody know the reasoning behind that?

I was wondering the same thing. I would think the DPE would want to do the oral just because the weather is too bad to do anything else anyway. (Unless he's a CFII with students wanting actual.)

*EDIT* I forgot to wish good luck to the OP!!! I had mine scheduled and found out the plane was out of annual. Still trying to get it in the shop.

The number one piece of advice I give to all applicants regardless of the certificate or rating is to know the ACS.

By that, I mean: don't just read through it a couple of times. Know it. Know the objectives, plus skills, knowledge and risk management elements for each task. Read the Appendices. It's the evaluator's blueprint for the checkride. There are truly no surprises if you simply prepare for your checkride utilizing the ACS.

It's true that each pilot examiner has his or her own hot buttons, but those are like flavors of ice cream. You still get the full two scoop serving regardless of who you go to for the practical test. And the standards remain the same. Just because my scenarios might delve into climb gradients and aircraft performance, for example, doesn't materially change the substance of the test. And I don't ask the same questions every time, so there's variety built into the system. You just need to go by the ACS and be prepared to think on your feet and correlate your knowledge. If you can do that, and be safe, you'll be fine!

Have a good time! Enjoy it... it's your moment.

They wanna see how well you can fly after getting grilled for two hours???:D
Wow...... you nailed it!

I went through a 2 3/4 hour bombardment during my oral (IR) and was so worn out I immediately screwed up my first approach. I called it a day after that!

I'm just about ready for my IR check ride. The instructor has been working with me for oral prep. He claims that they have to fill 2 hours. He's been coaching me on the concise answer to each scenario based question. He says they have a plan of action based on my test results in the computer and their approach to the test. He says if they start asking me VFR stuff or basic PP stuff, I've passed and they're filling time. We will see...

I'm just about ready for my IR check ride. The instructor has been working with me for oral prep. He claims that they have to fill 2 hours. He's been coaching me on the concise answer to each scenario based question. He says they have a plan of action based on my test results in the computer and their approach to the test. He says if they start asking me VFR stuff or basic PP stuff, I've passed and they're filling time. We will see...

I don’t think any of that is true and he’d have a hard time backing it with documentation unless it’s in the DPE guidelines...

But a couple of hours of discussion of stuff that can kill you, shouldn’t be that hard if you’ve studied with the aforementioned in mind. :)

I don’t think any of that is true and he’d have a hard time backing it with documentation unless it’s in the DPE guidelines...

But a couple of hours of discussion of stuff that can kill you, shouldn’t be that hard if you’ve studied with the aforementioned in mind. :)

If it's anything like the PP oral, it'll be good. I know my stuff (I'm pretty sure anyway) and the DPE added some wisdom that was useful as well.

If it's anything like the PP oral, it'll be good. I know my stuff (I'm pretty sure anyway) and the DPE added some wisdom that was useful as well.

Yeah you’ll be good. I just have a pet peeve about instructors making crap up that they can’t back with a document.

Doesn’t mean they’re a bad instructor, but there’s enough strangeness in reality to not need to add to it. Ha.

There's no time requirement per se, but even a completely prepared, "high level" applicant who can rapid-fire all the information required will take about 1.5 hours to get through all of my questions and scenarios. Longer orals usually reflect more time needed for discussion, review, and lookup (if allowed.) The instrument rating is "somewhat" of an open book test, as I like to say -- you can look things up, to an extent. If it's something which I feel the applicant ought to be able to retrieve from memory, I don't allow it.

There's no logical reason, nor is there any authorization for the examiner to "pad" the oral with questions relevant to other certificates or ratings. Given the sheer volume of information out there, an instrument oral could take all day if desired... trust me, if I want to fill two hours, I can fill two hours without breaking a sweat. I don't care how well prepared you are. :)

There's no time requirement per se, but even a completely prepared, "high level" applicant who can rapid-fire all the information required will take about 1.5 hours to get through all of my questions and scenarios. Longer orals usually reflect more time needed for discussion, review, and lookup (if allowed.) The instrument rating is "somewhat" of an open book test, as I like to say -- you can look things up, to an extent. If it's something which I feel the applicant ought to be able to retrieve from memory, I don't allow it.

There's no logical reason, nor is there any authorization for the examiner to "pad" the oral with questions relevant to other certificates or ratings. Given the sheer volume of information out there, an instrument oral could take all day if desired... trust me, if I want to fill two hours, I can fill two hours without breaking a sweat. I don't care how well prepared you are. :)

I'd certainly take your word over his. He seems to be grooming me for a particular examiner. He's said other things I don't buy as well, but all I needed was a finish up and endorsement and he's available. He's also been full of tips on actually using the system after the check ride which seem reasonable.

And I have no doubt that there's plenty of material to discuss. :)

John

I'd certainly take your word over his. He seems to be grooming me for a particular examiner. He's said other things I don't buy as well, but all I needed was a finish up and endorsement and he's available. He's also been full of tips on actually using the system after the check ride which seem reasonable.

And I have no doubt that there's plenty of material to discuss. :)

John

It’s common. I think it’s easier to say “prep for two and a half hours” to motivate someone rather than say “prep so well it’s about an hour and a half and an interesting discussion about flying in the system” for some instructors.

Can’t really pin down why that is, though.

If you have knowledge gaps, an examiner WILL find them, and that part will become time consuming at best. A fail at worst. The best way to avoid that is knowing you’ve truly read and paid attention to the Instrument Flying Handbook and the Instrument regs.

An old CFI friend calls this behavior “teaching to the examiner” and hates it. If he sends a candidate who truly studied well and understands why the regs are there and how they line up with real world flying in the system, the orals go great.

It’s supposed to be about integration of new knowledge and understanding.

I really liked the instrument oral. I had been starting and stoping for years and it just felt like a long discussion about flying in the system, weather, how instruments work and how they fail, and how to deal with them... and the occasional rule that had to me memorized.

But I had that advantage of studying, stopping, reading people’s stories, starting again... so I had spent literally a decade on and off absorbing the info and integrating it into my flying, especially the weather stuff since I went long distances, VFR.

Someone cramming or doing a super accelerated course REALLY has to be good at read and retain. Not just read and know it’s there. My opinion, anyway. Some do fine at it.

Back