Adult ADD/ADHD?

psween

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
psween
I have been struggling with time and task management and follow-through and it's having a pretty bad effect on my marriage. I have had people I trust speculate about whether I may have adult ADD/ADHD. I admit, when reading about it, I do seem to match a number of the symptoms. I have always been a procrastinator, but I've been able to function normally as a professional and a pilot for many years but something needs to change and I think it's me. I am very nervous about seeking a professional diagnoses, even if it would help me, because of the FAA's stance on ADHD and medication with regards to pilots. Does anyone have any suggestions for resources or ideas that might help. I am at a point where I would seriously consider quitting flying if it would mean I can get through a week without failing at some obligation. I obviously hope it wouldn't go that far, but that's how serious it has gotten. Thanks for any advice.

I wonder if you should ask more anonymously?

I think so many things these days gets lumped in to some ‘condition’. If we forget something or make a mistake we must have something only prescribed medication can handle. I know some people who live ‘normal life’ in mild chaos, much of their own doing. Clear the table some, do better with what’s left.

The Docs should be along shortly with meaningful advice.

A diagnosis is the end of your medical- medication or not. And, while the FAA may consider denial the appropriate course of action, it is not likely to be the safest option when it comes to operating an aircraft and/or staying married and/or conducting your life without constantly having to dig yourself out of a pile of doo-doo.

Personally, I would consider getting your life sorted out and, if things are working well, consider the sport pilot rules.

A diagnosis is the end of your medical- medication or not. And, while the FAA may consider denial the appropriate course of action, it is not likely to be the safest option when it comes to operating an aircraft and/or staying married and/or conducting your life without constantly having to dig yourself out of a pile of doo-doo.

Personally, I would consider getting your life sorted out and, if things are working well, consider the sport pilot rules.

Why sport pilot and not Basic Med? The meds would be disqualifying, but the diagnosis, not necessarily - though I would want Bruce's input on that.

Note that the Patey brothers both have this, and both have type ratings and fly regularly.

I have been struggling with time and task management and follow-through and it's having a pretty bad effect on my marriage...I have always been a procrastinator, but I've been able to function normally as a professional and a pilot for many years but something needs to change and I think it's me.

I’m curious if this is a communication and expectations problem.

While I’m all for being healthy first, when someone who’s suggesting I might have a condition that’s usually treated with a psychoactive drug of the same class as of drugs as meth, I’m not sure that’s a person I would trust.

I’m curious if this is a communication and expectations problem.

While I’m all for being healthy first, when someone who’s suggesting I might have a condition that’s usually treated with a psychoactive drug of the same class as of drugs as meth, I’m not sure that’s a person I would trust.
Hey, it's sometimes (at least in the past) treated with SSRIs.

I have been struggling with time and task management and follow-through and it's having a pretty bad effect on my marriage. I have had people I trust speculate about whether I may have adult ADD/ADHD. I admit, when reading about it, I do seem to match a number of the symptoms. I have always been a procrastinator, but I've been able to function normally as a professional and a pilot for many years but something needs to change and I think it's me. I am very nervous about seeking a professional diagnoses, even if it would help me, because of the FAA's stance on ADHD and medication with regards to pilots. Does anyone have any suggestions for resources or ideas that might help. I am at a point where I would seriously consider quitting flying if it would mean I can get through a week without failing at some obligation. I obviously hope it wouldn't go that far, but that's how serious it has gotten. Thanks for any advice.
There are a number of medical issues that can present with similar symptoms- sleep apnea for one. Significant b12 deficiencies as well. Don’t be afraid to look for other medical causes before you give up on a psych dx.

Note that the Patey brothers both have this, and both have type ratings and fly regularly.

They seem way to focused, driven and complete tasks to have classical ADD for most people. I do know some very successful people with a little extra hyperactive.. Wish I had that type of energy...

Last edited:
True, but I believe that’s an off-label use.

the Dx has not even been made. It is a good consideration, especially if your disorder can be ascribed to a non-ADHD cause,

Last edited:
Yes, but if you get the script, since the only two diagnoses in American medicine for which the insurer can issue payment for the medication, are terminal cancer care and for ADHD (it IS a schedule substance), "you'll have some 'splaining to do".

One's cognition (attention) also changes with depression and anxiety states ("secondary attention deficit").

They seem way to focused, driven and complete tasks to have classical ADD for most people. I do know some very successful people with a little extra hyperactive.. Wish I had that type of energy...
Having ADD doesn't mean that one cannot have obsessive focus on something that actually interests them.

They will never let you fly on amphetamines. (Although they give them to Air Force pilots on ridiculously long missions...)

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

As the docs said, expect a diagnosis to be the end of your medical. So I think the question is, what would a diagnosis (and medication) hope to gain you? Is there perhaps another mechanism you could use to help you out with those? How is your energy being directed in the wrong direction, and perhaps is there an indication that you could find something better? As Bruce said, attention span changes with other issues. Something else going on?

They will never give you an FAA medical.

There are a number of options that do not require an FAA medical.

Hey, I realize it has been a few years since this was posted. If anyone is still around though, what do you mean there are a number of options that do not require an FAA medical?

Hey, I realize it has been a few years since this was posted. If anyone is still around though, what do you mean there are a number of options that do not require an FAA medical?
Sport Pilot, gliders, balloons, and ultralights.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back