Sports Rivalries

I stopped paying attention to college rivalries the day after I graduated college. Except for Texas/Texas A&M on Turkey Day. Then Southwest Conf was destroyed for money, and that was the end of that. Even many of the sportscasters were unhappy about losing that game.

It’s sort of how OU-TX has become, but not quite that one-sides. TX racked up a lot of wins early on in the series, but has been fairly flat for a bit lately.

As a Texas Tech Red Raider, I'm not too keen on OU or UT, but I always root for OU vs. UT because anything burnt orange is toxic. Heck, if UT was playing Hitler, I'd probably root for Hitler. Another reason to root for OU vs. UT is that Lincoln Riley is a Tech alum, and I'm glad he's having success (albeit at OU).

I think the Astros/Rangers has developed into a nice AL West rivalry. I wasn't too sure about moving Houston to the AL (they'd been in the NL all my life, and I was reluctant to see that change). However, it's worked out pretty well. BTW, I'm a Rangers fan, but if they aren't winning, then I pull for the 'Stros.

I stopped paying attention to college rivalries the day after I graduated college. Except for Texas/Texas A&M on Turkey Day. Then Southwest Conf was destroyed for money, and that was the end of that. Even many of the sportscasters were unhappy about losing that game.

I paid attention to Purdue for a few years after I graduated from there but it didn’t take long for my interest to diminish. And I never had interest in Army’s teams even while I was in the Army. After all, I didn’t go to West Point. I’m always a bit bemused by people who are fanatics for schools they never attended.

I paid attention to Purdue for a few years after I graduated from there but it didn’t take long for my interest to diminish. And I never had interest in Army’s teams even while I was in the Army. After all, I didn’t go to West Point. I’m always a bit bemused by people who are fanatics for schools they never attended.
I have flown to West Lafayette for a game a couple years ago. What a GREAT reason to fly.

I didn't attend Ohio State but coming from western Mass to central Ohio for college, I had no idea about Michigan/Ohio state so I got interested and Buckeyes are 24/7 around here at (all?) times. Now I live 3 NMs from the 'Shoe - fighter jets fly over and the Goodyear Blimp is a frequent sight too - so I just naturally became a fan.

Packers/Bears. Go Pack Go!

I am lifelong Texan boy, and UT grad, just grew up watching Jerry Jones screw the cowboys up and became a Packer fan.

It’s sort of how OU-TX has become, but not quite that one-sides. TX racked up a lot of wins early on in the series, but has been fairly flat for a bit lately.

2018: utou.JPG

Seattle Supersonics / Vancouver Gri -

oh wait...

Packers/Bears. Go Pack Go!

I am lifelong Texan boy, and UT grad, just grew up watching Jerry Jones screw the cowboys up and became a Packer fan.

2018: View attachment 76665
Lol. OU is up 13-7 since the turn of the century (arbitrary, I know). This trend keeps up, that 62-47-5 overall series record is going to let OU offset all of those Pre-WWII wins Texas racked up!

upload_2019-8-7_14-10-36.png

Seattle Supersonics / Vancouver Gri -

oh wait...

Oke City and Memphis ain't that far apart, it could be resurrected. I don't think that was ever much of a rivalry anyway. Trailblazers and Sonics was the Rivalry

Oke City and Memphis ain't that far apart, it could be resurrected. I don't think that was ever much of a rivalry anyway. Trailblazers and Sonics was the Rivalry

Yeah, I was just going for the two very close in proximity but relocated or defunct franchises without going too far back to, say, the Providence Grays and the Worcester Ruby Legs. :D

Gotta love a good college rivalry! As a Longhorn I’m partial to Texas/ou, but every rivalry brings something unique to the table.

Regardless, a day watching college football is definitely my happy place. Pro ball just doesn’t compare.

As a Texas Tech Red Raider, I'm not too keen on OU or UT, but I always root for OU vs. UT because anything burnt orange is toxic. Heck, if UT was playing Hitler, I'd probably root for Hitler. Another reason to root for OU vs. UT is that Lincoln Riley is a Tech alum, and I'm glad he's having success (albeit at OU).

Go Cougs!!! That's the Washington State University Cougars. BTW, we love Mike Leach!

Go Cougs!!! That's the Washington State University Cougars. BTW, we love Mike Leach!

Don't forget the original 'Civil War' Oregon v Oregon State. First played 1894. Some highlights:

1937: After defeating Oregon 14-0 in Corvallis, Oregon State fans had a large rally the next evening that lasted for six hours. Approximately 2,000 Oregon State students decided to caravan the following day to Eugene and have another celebration. State police initially halted the group, then agreed to lead them through the town if they agreed to behave. However, once Oregon students got out of class, the situation escalated with Ducks pelting Beavers with tomatoes and water balloons, some Oregon State students were thrown into the millrace, and other OSU students taken to Skinner Butte, stripped and forced to repaint the "O" hillside letter yellow and slide down the painted surface.[10]

1954: 50-60 UO students infiltrated Corvallis and lit the traditional OSU homecoming bonfire early. While it had been done before, this time OSU students were able to capture 25 UO students and hold them "prisoner".[11] The captured students had their heads shaved, were painted orange and black and some were forced to do menial labor for OSU fraternities. One captured Duck was marched through the OSU campus with a sign that said "I'm a dumb Duck."[10] Meanwhile, the UO raiding party kidnapped a single OSU student and paraded him around the UO campus.[11]

1960: A UO student abducted the OSU homecoming queen from the front of her home in Corvallis. She was returned unharmed thirty minutes later, but before that the OSU student body president received a ransom note demanding he ride a child's scooter to the center of Eugene and make a public appeal for her return.

Wabash vs DePauw. You can lock the thread now. Any further post is spin zone material.

Good Prank.

On the night before the Yellow Jackets were set to arrive in Auburn for an 1896 game (yes, 1896), Auburn students greased the train tracks leading in and out of the local station. When Georgia Tech's train came into town, it skidded through town and didn't stop for five more miles. The GT football team had to make the trek back to town, then went on to lose, 45-0.

OU-Nebraska used to be a good one. Of course when the Huskers started sucking, they went crying to the Big Ten to continue their mediocrity elsewhere.
TW-AA088_dodgeball_R_20160229140000.png

I think you meant to say NU-OU used to be a good one. Until the formation of the Big 12 (when OU was sucking), OU stopped playing NU every year. Rivalry is hard to keep up when you only play every few years.

Wazzu is probably the second-favorite college football program for lots of Tech fans. Leach still has a strong following after all these years. Put 100 Tech fans in a room, bring up the Mike Leach firing, and prepare to watch all hell break loose!

Wazzu is probably the second-favorite college football program for lots of Tech fans. Leach still has a strong following after all these years. Put 100 Tech fans in a room, bring up the Mike Leach firing, and prepare to watch all hell break loose!

Lol, as a Sooner, I'm also in the "love Mike Leach" camp. If nothing else, the guys' commentary during press conferences is brilliant.

I grew up in NC with ACC basketball. Never cared much about college football.

Then I moved to Alabama. When Bama and Auburn play, the entire state shuts down. The roads are almost empty. Even the WalMarts are almost deserted.

It's spooky.

Lol, as a Sooner, I'm also in the "love Mike Leach" camp. If nothing else, the guys' commentary during press conferences is brilliant.

Isn't that the truth? Get him in a room with a bunch of people and he'll talk about anything, except football. And he'll speak from a well informed position. You never know what he'll say. We love him. He is so much fun, both on and off the field.

Back