GA parking at KTYS?

BigBadLou

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Lou
Greetings,
I will be traveling through KTYS and was wondering whether there is any other option besides getting raped $35 for overnight parking at the monopolistic FBO on field.
Is there any free parking (tie-downs) like at some other airports I have been to?
Or does anybody here have any friends at TacAir who would be willing to offer a friendly deal?
Thank you in advance for any useful advice.
Lou

Skip ktys and go to downtown Knoxville. Much cheaper fuel, and parking.
If you have no need of being in the city there are plenty of airports in the area.

Tim

Sent from my SM-J737T using Tapatalk

Wow it was only five or ten bucks a night the last time I was there.

No tie downs that are available without going through Tac Air. I messaged a friend that recently overnighted there and he said he was charged $22 and did not take on any fuel in a 172.

I believe the fee is lower if you do take fuel. KDKX is a good option if the runway is long enough but the hotels are a bit further away. I believe some of the downtown hotels will shuttle you and the FBO may let you borrow the crew car if you get in late and are leaving early the next day.

I live in Knoxville and typically fly out of DKX and 2 other grass runways here. Unfortunately I don’t have any friends at Tac Air though.

Hmm it’s been about 2 years but idt tac air charged anything then maybe cause they knew the club planes. DKX is a good lil airport closer to downtown as well.

Third for KDKX; great airport that will appreciate your business. TYS doesn't care about GA.

Greetings,
I will be traveling through KTYS and was wondering whether there is any other option besides getting raped $35 for overnight parking at the monopolistic FBO on field.
Is there any free parking (tie-downs) like at some other airports I have been to?
Or does anybody here have any friends at TacAir who would be willing to offer a friendly deal?
Thank you in advance for any useful advice.
Lou

You pick a Class C airport with 24/7/365 ATC, a police and fire dept., and a 4 star FBO open 24/7/365 and complain about $35 a day as a monopoly? Get real. The users fund the airports.

Last edited:
You pick a Class C airport with 24/7/365 ATC, a police and fire dept., and a 4 star FBO open open 24/7/365 and complain about $35 a day as a monopoly? Get real. The users fund the airports.

I do not agree with this at all. Most GA pilots do not need all of the services that TacAir offer, like most of us do not need the level of service that Ritz_Carlton. Being forced into a single FBO if they are the only game on the field in a large airport (with 24/7/365 ATC, a police and fire dept., and a 4 star FBO open open 24/7/365) is crap. $35 is not crazy, $6.29 for 100LL is a premium. That does not include the possible security fee, handling fee, ramp fee, or you are breathing our air fee that may be charged.

Consider KDKX. Uber is your friend.

+1 for DKX. It's my home base, a great little airport and super friendly staff

Was just at KDKX last week for a night...$5 to tie down for the night, which was waved when I bought some fuel. Great folks at the FBO and great airport that is super convenient to Knoxville ($8 uber to downtown).

Back