I’m an admitted heat “heat wimp” how do you guys handle it?

Move North.

Working the problem boss. :D 3 1/2 years to go before we head back up.

In the meantime, I'm the guy at the hangar @ 0630 preflighting to get airborne and get high. :cool: The other times I'm the guy with an extra shirt in the car. You would think after serving a sentence since 95 in MD I would be used to summer here but I'm not.

I don't handle it ... I just trudge through life soaking wet ...

I escape the Tucson heat by going to Montana.....where I am right now.....where it is 52 degrees as I drink my morning coffee, dreading going back to AZ.

A pal of mine told me that he never climbed to a specific altitude. He climbed to 16 degrees C. (Hang the head winds)

I tired that once coming out of Phoenix. Center asked me what altitude I would like, and I replied 15 degrees C, please.

He was not amused.... :lol::lol:

I tired that once coming out of Phoenix. Center asked me what altitude I would like, and I replied 15 degrees C, please.

He was not amused.... :lol::lol:
Just ask for VFR on top of the blasted heat.

Move North.
Go far North! Greetings from 48 degrees North latitude and 93 degrees Fahrenheit. Record high in my vicinity is 121F, but the record low of -60F (set the same year as the high and only 170 feet higher elevation) makes up for it. I can't wait for the first frost, the happiest day of the year for me and my furry dog alike.

Also, what kind of water bottle is useful in flying? The pressure difference has confused me, is it just to make sure to take the cap off on descent? Also now and then in climb?
I use a Camelbak Eddy bottle with a bite valve straw. It is critical to take a sip every 1,000 feet or so during the climb. See other threads on that subject. I find that the bite valve bottles make it easier to drink without needing a second hand to open the lid, tilting my head at all, or having to crane my neck to gain clearance to tilt the bottle upward against the headliner. This aids driving and flying alike.

Hydration as a state and not an event will help prevent that from occurring again.
Well-stated. This is my new mantra.

I used to roadrace motorcycles in 110°F heat and am usually easily able to tolerate it. Being thin and from CA, I wear a jacket when it's in the mid sixties. My wife, on the other hand, feels that heat is the worst thing she can ever experience, plus, she pre-menopausal so it really isn't helping. Some of the newer planes with the pleather seats don't breathe like the older fabric ones. I get out of the plane with a swampy buttcrack that isn't pleasant.

I grew up in Florida. Warmth is good. However, after trudging around in Oshkosh for over a week, I refused to go outside for a day after flying back home to Maryland. My sweat glands were exhausted.

Otherwise, for practical advice, I drink plenty of water and wear light (color and fabric density) clothing. A big floppy hat with venting when not flying.

Hate the heat and I live in Florida as well. I try to fly in the early morning or evening and avoid midday flying if at all possible. Not just for the heat, but to avoid thunderstorms too of course.

Getting the air fan..erm..prop going is a priority in the heat. That, combined with open doors or a Kool Scoop in a Piper will get the air moving enough where it's OK.

I fly Young Eagles occasionally and I always tell the passengers to KEEP THE DOOR open as long as possible. They get nervous when the prop is going and inevitably they close and lock it up once the engine fires up and of course we sweat all the way to the runway...<sigh>.

Google “ice vest” on Amazon.

Son had one of these when he used to cross-country run in the heat. Would wear it for 20 min to lower his core temp before a race and prolong the time before his crappy internal heat management hit him.

Try pedialyte if you get dehydrated, tastes better than Gatorade. No joke, it works.

Back