Question about GNS-530A Non WAAS and Garmin GTX 335 ADS-B

mrcshbs

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Marcos STL
I have a quick question about ADS-B and some of the Garmin Products. Currently I have a Garmin 530A non WAAS and recently I bought and a Garmin GTX 335 Transponder on eBay (Bad idea and lesson learned, so let’s move on).

The 335 has a built in WAAS GPS and has ADS-B out so I am good for 2020. Since I am a foreflight pilot, here are the questions:

1: Since I have ADS-B OUT with the GTX 335, I use Sentry portable ADS-B IN, but I would like to get a remote solution, so I don’t have stick it to the window and deal with tangled wires. I was looking at Garmin GDL 50R. From what I read, I will be able to receive ADS-B in (Weather and Traffic) with Foreflight, but can I connect this device to the Garmin 530 and get Subscription free weather and traffic on the Garmin 530?

2: Can I connect Foreflight to the Garmin 335 via Bluetooth and get GPS position information on the iPad?

3: I think the Garmin 530 non WAAS has built-in Bluetooth (not sure), what do I need to transfer flight plans from the iPad Foreflight to the 530? Do I need some special device like the flight stream, or can we just pair the iPad with Foreflight and transfer the flight plan?

Any insight would be a appreciated.

Thanks

I have a GTX 335.
It does not have Bluetooth. I don’t think there is any way to interface it with an iPad. It does have RS232 in and out, and, from what I understand, it will share WAAS GPS with anything that can interface with RS232 (GPS Navigator, G5).

I have a GDL 50 on my dash that is hardwired to ships power and Bluetooth connected to my iPad (running Garmin Pilot). I can also connect (via Bluetooth) to my Aera 660 and share flight plans that way.

I don’t have a 530, so can’t help there. :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Non of the 4xx/5xx series navigators have Bluetooth, they designed long before panel mounted avionics started getting that. Only way to qdd Bluetooth with flightplan transfer is Fkight Stream 210.

IDK for sure but the FS210 may require the 530 to be upgraded to WAAS.

Last edited:
Only the WAAS version of the 530 can display ADSB WX and TX. (My G530W gets them from a GDL-88). Also only the G530W can receive flightplans from Foreflight, which requires a FlightStream 210 device for the transfer.

bout the only thing you can do with that config...is display traffic on the 530 from the 335 (mode-S). Everything else is a no go.

Thank you all for the insight. I have the 510 non WAAS I couldn't find for sure if the Flight Stream would work or not. Does anyone know for sure that I will need an upgrade to the WAAS unit?

At this point, I will be compliant for 2020 with the 335 and I will get ADS-B in on the Ipad via Garmin GDL 50R. I just would like the ability to transfer flight plans from Ipad foreflight to GNS 530 non waas.

Garmin Flight Stream does that....and that is connected via a serial port to the 530.

Even the non WAAS unit? would I be able to transfer flight plans from Fore flight to non WAAS 530 via flight stream 210?

The 335 and 345 share the same tray and connectors. It's pretty easy to upgrade to the 345. The 335 has excellent resale.

Back