Airline cadet programs

Dani ragazza

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Ragazza95
hi. Can you guys give me your thoughts on major airline cadet programs.
I understand they’re costly but does it give you such an inside track to a good job that it’s worth considering?
Also what do these programs look for in their selection process? I’m just a college grad working on my PPL in a small flight school. Not sure how impressive my credentials are lol!
Also of all the cadet programs which ones do you think are most enticing?

For the US unless you know for sure you want a particular regional they are a waste. If your talking European stuff i have no idea.

Thanks for your input. I certainly don’t want to waste time and money. Can you explain why though?

There are no “cadet programs” for airlines in the US. This is primarily an Asia or Europe type program.

If you want to remain in the US, you are going to need a Commercial Multi Engine Land and an Instrument Rating, along with 1500 hours in your logbook.

As far as Asia goes, you are signing up for indentured servitude. That and many hoops to jump through trying to get a work permit. I would think Europe would even be harder.

American has one. You pay for the training via financing that they arrange. Then you instruct at one of the established schools in their program, move on to Envoy, Piedmont or PSA and then flow through to AA.

http://www.aacadetacademy.com/CadetAcademy/Index

Dani, I sent you a message if you’d like to chat.

There are no “cadet programs” for airlines in the US. This is primarily an Asia or Europe type program.

If you want to remain in the US, you are going to need a Commercial Multi Engine Land and an Instrument Rating, along with 1500 hours in your logbook.

As far as Asia goes, you are signing up for indentured servitude. That and many hoops to jump through trying to get a work permit. I would think Europe would even be harder.
Maybe I’m not using the correct terminology?? I’m referring to these programs I see offered. American, Lufthansa in phoenix, Southwest I believes offers something through a couple of specific flight schools. Seems to be sorta zero to hero type programs. You apply, if you get selected you train, get your ratings, instruct and then work for them.
Who do they select and why?
And what are the pros and cons of this path?

Incorrect...
In our program, the cadets are “hired” through an interview program, and are paid a small stipend to represent The Company at campus events. It is an early intro to the company, they get invited to company events and facilities, the company will even help to pay for multi-time and the ATP when the time minimums are reached, with an assured slot in the first FO course after reaching the minimum requirements.

There was nothing like this when we were young...

Maybe I’m not using the correct terminology?? I’m referring to these programs I see offered. American, Lufthansa in phoenix, Southwest I believes offers something through a couple of specific flight schools. Seems to be sorta zero to hero type programs. You apply, if you get selected you train, get your ratings, instruct and then work for them.
Who do they select and why?
And what are the pros and cons of this path?
We have both a cadet program at the Universities, and a zero-to-hero program, in house.

We have both a cadet program at the Universities, and a zero-to-hero program, in house.

Care to specify which company? I’ve seen SWAs recently announced Destination 225, which seems like a good deal for those interested.

Incorrect...
In our program, the cadets are “hired” through an interview program, and are paid a small stipend to represent The Company at campus events. It is an early intro to the company, they get invited to company events and facilities, the company will even help to pay for multi-time and the ATP when the time minimums are reached, with an assured slot in the first FO course after reaching the minimum requirements.

There was nothing like this when we were young...

Who is “our program”?

So from the description you gave, the “cadet” still must fund a portion of their own training?

As long as the regionals are hiring at 1500 hours, I don't see why you'd want to lock yourself down to a specific company. Especially when you're young, priorities are likely to change. Certainly airline contracts, culture, and bases do. Why give up the flexibility unless there was a compelling reason to do so? These programs don't seem to be shaving off time to a major - you're still taking the regional step - so where exactly is the benefit?

As long as the regionals are hiring at 1500 hours, I don't see why you'd want to lock yourself down to a specific company. Especially when you're young, priorities are likely to change. Certainly airline contracts, culture, and bases do. Why give up the flexibility unless there was a compelling reason to do so? These programs don't seem to be shaving off time to a major - you're still taking the regional step - so where exactly is the benefit?

If I was desiring to fly for the airlines, SWAs Destination 225 looks like a real good program, but it’s self-funded and no guarantee of an interview, much less a job.

Their path does offer a bypass to regionals with either a CFI or Corp/fractional gig for time building.

I wouldn’t lump it into a classic cadet or ab initio program though; instead, it seems to be more of an awareness program with some mentoring along the way.

The cadet programs in Asia and Europe entail the applicant to undergo testing, and if accepted, they are trained. In exchange for the training they sign a multi year contract to work for that company. If they decide to leave before the contract ends, then they are expected to pay back the prorated amount. Some of these contracts are 10 years in length and the money amount is eye watering to say the least.

As long as the regionals are hiring at 1500 hours, I don't see why you'd want to lock yourself down to a specific company.

This. Everyone I've known that has applied to a regional has been accepted to a class. Many have been accepted by multiple airlines and just take the nearest class date. I've heard of washouts, but all I've known have made it through to IOE. Though some have found that regional life wasn't what they had thought it would be. As for the most cost effective way to the 121 world, I think CFIing or a part 135 job is probably the way to go. Get that 1500 and 25 hrs multi, have a pulse and you're in.

You’re not ‘locked in’ if you go through the AA cadet program. You can apply anywhere you want while flying at Envoy, PSA or Piedmont while having a flow agreement to AA. The retirements coming at AA are absolutely staggering at 900 pilots a year. So there is some benefit to getting on with any of those three.

By the way, you can also apply to these AA owned regionals without going through the cadet program once you have 1500 hours. That may be a good option for many.

‘College grad, working on pvt at local FBO’? No need for all or nothing Academy’s, there are options.

You could get on a faster track to finish & speed up the Private, then Commercial, Instrument & CFI. At that point go instruct at a pilot mill in FL or AZ. With that you can start controlling your future better, while racking up quality flight hours and real experience.

Yes it cost $$$, as any flight training. With a CFI & the willingness to move where the job is, you’ll be on your way.

Again, who is “we”?
Rather not say...
We had a new crop of cadets come through the operations center on a tour tonight.
And we are not the only company with a cadet program, almost every major regional is doing it.

Rather not say...

LOL! o_O

(sorry I have to laugh. The OP is inquiring about "cadet programs" and you tell what a great one your company has, but you can't say the name of the company)

We had a new crop of cadets come through the operations center on a tour tonight.
And we are not the only company with a cadet program, almost every major regional is doing it.

Now that's a new one! "Major Regional".............:rolleyes:

LOL! o_O

(sorry I have to laugh. The OP is inquiring about "cadet programs" and you tell what a great one your company has, but you can't say the name of the company)

Now that's a new one! "Major Regional".............:rolleyes:

So everyone else is supposed to expose who they are while you intend to remain anonymous.

I guess your hypocrisy has no bounds.

So everyone else is supposed to expose who they are while you intend to remain anonymous.

OK, read slowly. I asked the name of his airline, the one he was telling us that had a great cadet program. Go back and reread, NEVER did I ask him his name as it's irrelevant. After all, I believe this thread deals with identifying which companies have these programs, correct?

That was my thought, as well. There aren't that many regionals, especially big ones. PICK ONE, and you have a one-in-5 chance of being correct.

That was my thought, as well. There aren't that many regionals, especially big ones. PICK ONE, and you have a one-in-5 chance of being correct.

Well, if it’s such a great program I fail to see the secrecy of naming which airline it is.

I guess the OP will have to just go check each airline on his own. :rolleyes:

Back