PIREP: GA into Dulles (A C172 adventure)

TRocket

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Uncle Jesse
Decided to visit my brother in DC a couple weeks ago for lunch (thought about flying into Potomac but realized the whole DC 3 thing might be more effort than I was interested in putting in at the time).

There are 2 FBO's at IAD, looked into it ahead of time, costs are NOT the same.

Anyway, was a very nice VFR day but figured going IFR might make the process a little easier. Stopped to get fuel at a field a little south of IAD (Avgas is VERY expensive at Dulles)

After my fuel stop (very friendly little GA airport), I my clearance and off I go, a good ways out Potomac approach asks me what FBO I am going to and tells me to expect runway 1C (most convenient to where I am going, score!). Probably 20 miles or so out, get a vector to intercept 1C localizer and eventually get handed off to tower, clear land and all that jazz.

So here I come all by my lonesome in a little 172, staring down an 11,500 foot runway (never asked to keep my speed up), slow it down and land...just about on the numbers...on an 11,500 foot runway, with my destination all the way down at the far end of the runway. So I open the window and enjoy my nearly 2 mile taxi to the FBO.

The FBO is filled with nice jets, the line guys are very friendly and don't treat the guy in the 50 year cessna any different than fancy jet guys, "how are you, how was the flight, what can we do for you?".

When it's time to leave, get a clearance right away and taxi another 2 miles to rwy 30. Things are A LOT busier at this point in the day, big iron everywhere. Despite this, no delays, cleared for take off right behind a Lufthansa Heavy (caution wake turbulence but get your ass rolling because I got traffic on a 3 mile final for 1C) and I am headed home.

Really good experience. Controllers were great to work with, every one of them, treated me just like anyone else. The FBO was really great too. This was my first class bravo, seemed pretty painless.

We take for granted what we can or can't do with our little planes sometimes. Great to hear a story like this!

Decided to visit my brother in DC a couple weeks ago for lunch (thought about flying into Potomac but realized the whole DC 3 thing might be more effort than I was interested in putting in at the time).

Anyway, was a very nice VFR day but figured going IFR might make the process a little easier. Stopped to get fuel at a field a little south of IAD (Avgas is VERY expensive at Dulles)

After my fuel stop (very friendly little GA airport), I my clearance and off I go, a good ways out Potomac approach asks me what FBO I am going to and tells me to expect runway 1C (most convenient to where I am going, score!). Probably 20 miles or so out, get a vector to intercept 1C localizer and eventually get handed off to tower, clear land and all that jazz.

So here I come all by my lonesome in a little 172, staring down an 11,500 foot runway (never asked to keep my speed up), slow it down and land...just about on the numbers...on an 11,500 foot runway, with my destination all the way down at the far end of the runway. So I open the window and enjoy my nearly 2 mile taxi to the FBO.

The FBO is filled with nice jets, the line guys are very friendly and don't treat the guy in the 50 year cessna any different than fancy jet guys, "how are you, how was the flight, what can we do for you?".

When it's time to leave, get a clearance right away and taxi another 2 miles to rwy 30. Things are A LOT busier at this point in the day, big iron everywhere. Despite this, no delays, cleared for take off right behind a Lufthansa Heavy (caution wake turbulence but get your ass rolling because I got traffic on a 3 mile final for 1C) and I am headed home.

Really good experience. Controllers were great to work with, every one of them, treated me just like anyone else. The FBO was really great too. This was my first class bravo, seemed pretty painless.
Let them know you intend to "land long", if you care to - they've been good about that in the past.

Glad to hear this!

I’m doing Burbank (Bob Hope) on Monday. Hope for a similar experience

I've been to Burbank a couple of times - it was pretty easy all in all. I've never been to Dulles, but I don't really think BUR is anywhere close to a similar experience. It should be no problem.

Of all the times I've been into Dulles, it's been pretty easy and straight forward in and out.
Going into Burbank is a little different, the whole LA area airspace congestion because of a number of airports close by and there's always helicopters here and there too.

Caution wake turbulence!!

I took a 152 into Dulles years ago, when I had about 180 hours and just really really wanted to exercise my privileges and see what a class B was like. I did *not* get a runway convenient to the FBO... I taxied for about 20 minutes after landing. Came close to one of those big people-mover vehicle things, that didn't see me (cuz I'm so small). But yeah, I was impressed at how "not any different" I was treated. Still ranks as one of my favorite experiences.

Why IAD instead of JYO, just for grins?

I’ve lucked out every time I’ve been to IAD in a single engine piston. No traffic, number 1 to the field, and speed my discretion.

Great writeup. Thanks for sharing the report.

Back