DC One-X vs A20

flak

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
flak
I'm not sure if this is the right forum but please forgive me if it isn't. I've been debating between these two headsets so I can preserve my hearing in the 172 during training. Has anybody tried on both and preferred one over the other?

What I've been able to find so far on the web (and I don't know the complete truth to these statements) is the A20 might pinch where the hinge is. The one-x is cheaper and DC's customer service is superb. The one-x can change the mic side in a simple manner unlike the a20. The a20 has better ANR.

You can read some comments about headsets on this thread. My comparison of the DC vs A20 is post #7. If you use the search feature (the little magnifying glass icon, upper right) you'll find a lot of info and opinions about headsets on multiple threads on this forum.

https://www.pilotsofamerica.com/com...t-lightspeed-or-bose-a20.115194/#post-2636087

And by the way, once you make a decision you might find our member @pigpenracing (who owns and flies more airplanes than I can count :D) may have good deals on the specific headset you are looking for. Worth a PM to him to check.

You can read some comments about headsets on this thread. My comparison of the DC vs A20 is post #7. If you use the search feature (the little magnifying glass icon, upper right) you'll find a lot of info and opinions about headsets on multiple threads on this forum.

https://www.pilotsofamerica.com/com...t-lightspeed-or-bose-a20.115194/#post-2636087

And by the way, once you make a decision you might find our member @pigpenracing (who owns and flies more airplanes than I can count :D) may have good deals on the specific headset you are looking for. Worth a PM to him to check.

I saw your post before. What specifically was uncomfortable for you about it?

I saw your post before. What specifically was uncomfortable for you about it?

• My ears were sore after about 90 minutes wearing the Bose headset, I couldn't wait to get them off, and really regretted not having my DCs with me;
  • They actually seem to be clamping/pinching my ears compared to the DCs - which is the opposite of what most people report.
  • The Bose seems particularly sensitive to the seal around my ear; turning my head to the side would break the seal slightly and that seemed to destroy the noise cancelling. I don't have that problem with the DCs (I wear non-prescription sunglasses with thin wireframe temples);
  • The Bose just don't seem to be a robust as a DC - a bit too "plastic" imo.

Most of the retailers have generous return policies. Buy one and see if you like it. If you don’t, return it and try another. Every head and cockpit is different, so you have to try them out on your head in your cockpit.

FWIW, I like Lightspeed better than One-X or Bose, and Clarity Aloft better than any of them. But that’s my head in my airplane, which might be completely irrelevant to yours in yours.

One-X is the best headset on the market. My CFI tried mine and sold her Zulu 3s to buy a One-X. She even bought a pro-x for when she flies a jet for work. I've found the DC way more comfy and quieter than anything else.

I tired all these things on at the show. It was actually a tough decision, my old Dave Clarks are still working just fine after 20 years of service. But just because the old ones have been durable doesn't mean the new ones will be. In the end I chose the Lightspeeds. I've flown with them for hours in the past and they were utterly comfortable. The Bose never made it into the final running.

• My ears were sore after about 90 minutes wearing the Bose headset, I couldn't wait to get them off, and really regretted not having my DCs with me;
  • They actually seem to be clamping/pinching my ears compared to the DCs - which is the opposite of what most people report.
  • The Bose seems particularly sensitive to the seal around my ear; turning my head to the side would break the seal slightly and that seemed to destroy the noise cancelling. I don't have that problem with the DCs (I wear non-prescription sunglasses with thin wireframe temples);
  • The Bose just don't seem to be a robust as a DC - a bit too "plastic" imo.

Is it because of the dept of the seal, ie your ears were being pressed against?

One-X is the best headset on the market. My CFI tried mine and sold her Zulu 3s to buy a One-X. She even bought a pro-x for when she flies a jet for work. I've found the DC way more comfy and quieter than anything else.

Have you had a chance to try the A-20? I'm trying to get something TSO'ed so zulus wouldn't be in the equation.

I tired all these things on at the show. It was actually a tough decision, my old Dave Clarks are still working just fine after 20 years of service. But just because the old ones have been durable doesn't mean the new ones will be. In the end I chose the Lightspeeds. I've flown with them for hours in the past and they were utterly comfortable. The Bose never made it into the final running.

Was there anything specifically that made bose worse than your final picks?

Have you had a chance to try the A-20? I'm trying to get something TSO'ed so zulus wouldn't be in the equation.
Yeah I've tried it. It's a great headset, but IMO not nearly worth it for the money. I'd say the noise cancelling is better on the Bose, but comfort suffers somewhat significantly compared to the ONE-X.

Yeah I've tried it. It's a great headset, but IMO not nearly worth it for the money. I'd say the noise cancelling is better on the Bose, but comfort suffers somewhat significantly compared to the ONE-X.

Can I ask where specifically did you feel comfort lacked? Was it the ears, the clamping, etc?

Can I ask where specifically did you feel comfort lacked? Was it the ears, the clamping, etc?
The headpad didn't seem to fit my head well. While not distinctly uncomfortable, it didn't feel "right". Additionally I thought the ear pads felt cheap and still caused hotspots. Like @GRG55 mentioned it's not tolerant of movement beyond having your head fixed straight ahead. JMHO

I've had similar experience with friends that have tried my One-X. Most of them can't believe its a David Clark. A few of them have relegated their Bose headsets to passengers and bought a DC One-X for themselves.

I think David Clark is fighting an uphill battle because of the "David Clamps" reputation, and a lot of people won't even try the One-X because they are convinced a Bose or Lightspeed is the only choice.

I have the A20, been using it for 4 years now. Never tried the One-X but then again I don't fly as much as I used to. After about a couple months flying with the A20 my ear pads wore out. Had to get replacements. The BOSE rep I talked to sent the replacements free of charge, but was amazed at how quickly I went through them. The second pair has lasted for a while now, so maybe just a bad first pair? The noise cancelling on the A20 is..meh. Comfort-wise they are nice. I replace the batteries on it quick frequently though it seems. Had to use the headset once or twice as a phone paired with my cell and call quality was decent. Once was in flight and the other time was on the ramp for a release on my instrument flight plan.

Never liked the look of the David Clark headsets..they just seem old and dated. Not a fan of that puke green. The A20 looks a lot nicer.

Was there anything specifically that made bose worse than your final picks?
A price point $200 more, fewer features than the Lightspeeds (no Kevlar cables) and they weren't as comfortable on my head as the Lightspeeds. To top it all off, Lightspeed does nothing but make aviation headsets, while Bose is, well, Bose. I've had horrible interactions with their customer service in the past, while those I had with Lightspeed were excellent. To be honest, it was a no-brainer to blow off the Bose.

The DC's were really nice, I've had excellent customer service interactions with DC in the past, and my old DCs are still working fine after 20 years. I gave them some serious thought, but Mrs. Steingar said it best. Just because my old headsets are working 20 years later doesn't mean the new ones will have that level of quality. That, and I'd flown with Lightspeeds for hours on end in the past, and really liked them. I never "liked" my DCs, I tolerated them. I had no other experience to judge the new DC offering.

One thing for certain. Ask 3 different pilots which headset you should buy and you'll get 3 different answers, each given with tremendous passion. I think pilots are more particular about headsets than airframes.

[snip]

One thing for certain. Ask 3 different pilots which headset you should buy and you'll get 3 different answers, each given with tremendous passion. I think pilots are more particular about headsets than airframes.

True enough. And at least some of it may be because people have different size & shaped heads and fit really matters on headsets both for comfort but also for noise reduction.

Of course, some of it is just because the one I bought is the best. My current headset? A Telex (I have 2) I bought off eBay. I believe they are first generation ANR.

Just like this one:

Telex.jpg

The headpad didn't seem to fit my head well. While not distinctly uncomfortable, it didn't feel "right". Additionally I thought the ear pads felt cheap and still caused hotspots. Like @GRG55 mentioned it's not tolerant of movement beyond having your head fixed straight ahead. JMHO

Do DC's have better padding or thicker padding to allow for more movement? Do they also do better with glasses?

Go to good pilot shop and try them all on for fit. As for ANR people say most are pretty equivalent. If you have big ears like a friend of mine he liked the Zulu, I ended up with the Bose and haven’t regretted it yet in 4 years.

I understand everyone's concern over preserving their hearing but spending over a grand for headsets you'll use maybe 200 hrs a year, I don't get that. We fly in aircraft producing 130db for 600-700 hrs a year(minimum) for 30 yrs, hearing tests are still fine and no ANR...it's called the US Military. Our helmets block out about as much noise as my PNR DC's do.

I think the silent flight is nice and very cool to experience but not essential for health or safety and def not worth that kind of money.

I understand everyone's concern over preserving their hearing but spending over a grand for headsets you'll use maybe 200 hrs a year, I don't get that. We fly in aircraft producing 130db for 600-700 hrs a year(minimum) for 30 yrs, hearing tests are still fine and no ANR...it's called the US Military. Our helmets block out about as much noise as my PNR DC's do.

I think the silent flight is nice and very cool to experience but not essential for health or safety and def not worth that kind of money.

That’s why I’m hearing lawyers paying for radio ads asking for ex-military who used sub-standard earplugs for over a decade to call and join the class action suit, I suppose.

The main thing ANR brought to aviation headsets was comfort. I flew with DC headclamps for years and years and wasn’t worried about my hearing. You’re correct about that. What sucked was the headache after four hours.

$800-$1000 is piddling money in aviation. Two fill-ups of my airplane with fuel.

I’m curious in which US military platform you are flying 600-700 hours annually while wearing a helmet? And which helmet?

Last edited:

To each his own. I pay a lot to be able to fly myself on trips. What I spent for headsets was trivial in comparison to many of my other aviation expenses, and makes a huge difference in my ability to communicate and flight comfort. If all you do is fly around the patch in your puddle jumper, then perhaps you don’t need so much.

What advantage to having a TSO'd headset bring?

It's more a function of the fatigue induced by noise and a badly fitting headset on cross country flights. My tolerance level for that declines with age.

I’m curious in which US military platform you are flying 600-700 hours annually while wearing a helmet? And which helmet?

This was flying UH-1N's, 60's and MD 500 with an SPH4B. These days I am leading a more normal life, at home for dinner and only flying around 500 a yr

To each his own. I pay a lot to be able to fly myself on trips. What I spent for headsets was trivial in comparison to many of my other aviation expenses, and makes a huge difference in my ability to communicate and flight comfort. If all you do is fly around the patch in your puddle jumper, then perhaps you don’t need so much.

I can definitely see your point, I guess I am assuming most folks just putt around their own "patch" like you say...I know that's all I plan on doing except for a few 2.5 hr trips every month or so

It's more a function of the fatigue induced by noise and a badly fitting headset on cross country flights. My tolerance level for that declines with age.
I understand that on long trips, makes complete sense. And the age thing is creeping up on me also :)

$1,000 headset vs. $2,500-$4,500 hearing aids? A bargain by any measure. One of the missed benefits of ANR is how much lower you can have the radio volume, another source of long-term assault on our hearing. I've flown with ANRs for over 20 years now and wouldn't consider flying with out them.

I think David Clark is fighting an uphill battle because of the "David Clamps" reputation, and a lot of people won't even try the One-X because they are convinced a Bose or Lightspeed is the only choice.
I suspect that a part of the problem for DC is a combination of two factors. First, DC PRO arrived on the market first, and thus got people to think that DC ditched the around the ear design in favour of pressing the ear design in their ANR headsets. And second, when ONE arrived years later, it was kind of not obvious that they are traditional headsets. In retrospect, one can see that their cups surround ears of magazine reviewers.... if one is ready to see it, and haven't given up on DC by that time entirely.

Bumping this but does the A20 fit bigger heads? I got the one x and at the max extension when I slide it on my head the ear seals still rub against my head. I fear that stress over time might break the headband.

Bumping this but does the A20 fit bigger heads? I got the one x and at the max extension when I slide it on my head the ear seals still rub against my head. I fear that stress over time might break the headband.
I actually had this happen when I first received the One-X - the headset band broke when I was first adjusting it! DC was really great about this, and I realized that it simply fit differently from my older DC H10-40s. With full extension of the headband, and the compliant earphone seals, it's actually really comfortable.

Back