Inn n Out bumped from #3

Of those you mentioned, I’d recommend trying Hardee’s.

They are called Carl's here, but that is probably my second most attended fast food restaurant. They are probably also the most variable in service and freshness.

Well I bet it certainly isn’t for their buns.

Well actually they dress them in form fitting slacks (although there are a couple that probably shouldn't be wearing them.) At Inn n Out they dress them like house painters.

I don't really care whether or not the Chik-Fil-A kids are Christian. I do care that they're nice, they're cheerful, they're clean, they're helpful, and they seem to actually give a **** about preparing your food and getting the right order to you. That's rare, and it's why we very, very seldom do fast food even when we're on the road.

They are called Carl's here, but that is probably my second most attended fast food restaurant. They are probably also the most variable in service and freshness.

Well actually they dress them in form fitting slacks (although there are a couple that probably shouldn't be wearing them.) At Inn n Out they dress them like house painters.

Yep. I’ve eaten at both Hardee’s and Carl’s countless times during my times on opposite sides of this vast expanse of land we call America. Great burgers.

So you do like some buns. A new sort of protein versus carb debate. :D

Top this with their Christian-like environment and I, as well as most, feel like they set themselves apart from the rest of the competition.
You mean how people act or there are crosses and communion wine all over the place?

Never caught the Chick-fil-A bug. I eat there occasionally, good enough food, but I hit the RoFo when I want chicken. That being said, they paid my little girl a tidy sum during her high school years, and were a great organization to work for. I did tire of the 'my pleasure' thing when it started spilling over at home. And that double lane drive through must be a money maker, they shut down our local place (in the summer, no less) for six weeks to retro-fit the place with one.

I've been to Chik-Fil-A a few times, just to support the free speech. Never been impressed by their food. I'd rather have a BigMac than anything they offer.

I never understood the obsession with In-N-Out Burgers, Carl's jr. replaced Burger King as my favorite fast-food joint when I moved out here

The lines at In-N-Out always seem crazy long for a paper thin tasteless patty

(ducks and covers)

But...

I don't eat fries, or buns, and rarely eat chicken deep fried...

Are you trying to extend your life expectancy?? Because if you are you might try visiting your local nursing home and see what might be in store for you...;)

Chick-fil-a is at best average fast food. I do not understand their vast popularity.

Easy:

Chick-fil-a= Good

Starbucks= Evil.

I never understood the obsession with In-N-Out Burgers, Carl's jr. replaced Burger King as my favorite fast-food joint when I moved out here

I liked them when they were hamburger sized in the '70s. Now that they are about the same size as a Moon Pie, nope...

And whatever they call the shake thing with lime in it, seasonal, is delicious.

That might be the best shake I've ever had. Frosted Key Lime. It's like a lime version of a creamsicle. That one blew me away. They have a lemon one all the time I think, but I've never had it.

I don't really care whether or not the Chik-Fil-A kids are Christian. I do care that they're nice, they're cheerful, they're clean, they're helpful, and they seem to actually give a **** about preparing your food and getting the right order to you. That's rare, and it's why we very, very seldom do fast food even when we're on the road.

Well you should care. Because all the things you said you like about them could be attributed to the fact that they are Christians. ;)

Well you should care. Because all the things you said you like about them could be attributed to the fact that they are Christians. ;)
Could be, not must be. I know plenty of non-Christians that are every bit as nice, caring, pleasant. Believe it or not, we don’t have a corner on the market.

I really don’t care if the kid who makes and/or delivers my salad is Christian, Buddhist, Jewish or whatever. Really.

That might be the best shake I've ever had. Frosted Key Lime. It's like a lime version of a creamsicle. That one blew me away. They have a lemon one all the time I think, but I've never had it.

That’s the one. Super delicious.

Apparently you haven't met some of the same Christians I've met.

Apparently you haven't met some of the same Christians I've met.

I agree. But we’re talking about Chick-fil-A. They built a culture from the top down that is the way it is because of their Christianity.

I agree. But we’re talking about Chick-fil-A. They built a culture from the top down that is the way it is because of their Christianity.
Or maybe they're good people who just happen to be christian.

Okay, time for a pirep!

pic.jpg

There are several fast food restaurants within a mile radius of a typical bike ride destination, which, in fact is itself a fast food restaurant. There is Habit Burger. Home of the Burger Girls. There is Inn n Out. And all the rest. Chic Fil A to me pretty much falls in to this category, at least always had. I was now finally motivated to try it.

As I rode up to the place, there was something that struck me as odd. Literally. It was odd to have a random tree branch exactly where it was. No big deal maybe it was an omen. Oh, right, and the other thing... there is something that isn't kosher about this place...

Duh. Right. The restaurant has roots in Christianity. Well, but so does Santeria, so that isn't saying a lot necessarily. I saw a college age male with a tablet device taking orders from a line of cars. He suspiciously resembled @Ryanb. So I walked in to the establishment. I was expecting to see rows of pews. I did not see rows of pews but I saw tables with bench seating that resembled rows of pews.

The register clerk ushered me over to his register. He suspiciously looked like Ryanb as well. They all looked like Ryanb. Except the girls. They did not look like Ryanb. "What can I get started for you?"

I've never understood that question. I hear it. I know that they mean "What would you like today?" Oh, that's why. If you ask "What would you like today?" That leaves it open for me to point to one of the alluring table runner girls and say "that." No, "What can I get started for you" doesn't leave that opportunity open for you without being super awkward. I ordered the Cobb salad. I wasn't sure what else to expect. Perhaps he would suggest to add on an order of communion. I did not see people randomly being administered communion, but then again it is a Saturday.

It was pretty much as I expected. I expected a pre-made salad in the cooler on which one places warmed sliced chicken breast, served with tear packets of dressing. Which, is what it was. I didn't notice it until I was halfway in to the thing, but there was a dry packet of roasted bell peppers in the dressing-fork kit. How quaint.

How was it? Comparison:

________________Chic Fil A________________Habit Burger

Salad___________Premade chilled___________Made when ordered
Dressing_________Commercial packets_______House made tossed in or side in tubs
Boiled egg_______Yes______________________Yes
Bacon___________No (dried bell pepper)_____Yes
Amount__________Reasonable______________Reasonable plus
Price____________$8.99___________________$7.49
Drink____________One refill_______________Unlimited refills
Yumminess_______Not bad_________________Pretty F good
Service__________Good___________________Good
Burger Girls_______N/A___________________Awesome

I really had no beef with Chic Fil A. Literally. There was no beef. I mean, if you wanted a burger, not that I necessarily did (okay that was a lie) that would not have been an option. I would classify this salad as better than your BK or McD's equivalents, but not very much better. I would say there was a little more substance than either of those two.

Oh here is the other thing I found enlightening (get it, enlightening? See the common theme? Oh boy tough crowd here. Nevermind.) The clientele. They all caused one realization to come to mind.

I had no idea there was a trailer park so close.

Edit: For some reason my columns did not work out. This is a problem. (Now fixed)

Last edited:
Is that Chic Fil A's fault or Habit Burger's? I'm confused!

Neither, the forum post editor's fault. I tried to align the Chic Fil A vs. Habit Burger properties in to two columns, but the spaces were stripped out.

We have a McDonalds in a nearby small town where the owner actively works at the restaurant and cares about things being clean and of good quality. That particular McDonalds is pretty much a community hub, the food actually is better there. Sadly, this is not typical. I don't know how it is that Chik-Fil-A can consistently have employees who actually make a good effort when so many other chains don't but whatever they're doing the other chains would do well to copy the model.

Please tell me what fast food is better. I will go try it right away.

Hardee’s, Wendy’s, Taco Bell, Chipotle, Firehouse, McAlisters, Five Guys, Panera Bread, Mod Pizza, Blaze Pizza, Popeyes, Zaxby’s, and more.

Some of the others are arguable and I've never heard of McAlisters, the Pizza Places, or Zaxby's but no way any of those are better than Chick-Fil-A.
You’re not missing much.

Also, it’s hard to say that some fast food chains are better than Chick-fil-a when they don’t even serve food in the same category.

“Mod Pizza, Taco Bell, Chipotle” - Yeah that’s a total apples to oranges comparison.

You’re not missing much.

Also, it’s hard to say that some fast food chains are better than Chick-fil-a when they don’t even serve food in the same category.

“Mod Pizza, Taco Bell, Chipotle” - Yeah that’s a total apples to oranges comparison.

What is your favorite fruit? Oh wait. We can’t compare apples and oranges.

But the OP was about fast food places. Not just chicken places.

(ducks and covers)

OMG - Cirrus fan boy says Carl's Jr is better than Burger King. Hmmm.. does the owner of the plane you fly own some of them thar Carl's Jr's too?

What correlation do you infer from long lines? Maybe the lines are long at In-N-Out because they make good burgers? Nah, that can't be it, must be the other places are more efficient. Or cost less. or....

Last edited:
Personally I think discussions on what fast food place/wing location is best is pointless. We all know what we like and not everyone likes the same thing. Some people really like Five Guys. To me it is a never again place. Some people love Chic Fil A. Some hate it, I accept it. We each have our own reasons for liking a place, or not.

Personally I think discussions on what fast food place/wing location is best is pointless. We all know what we like and not everyone likes the same thing. Some people really like Five Guys. To me it is a never again place. Some people love Chic Fil A. Some hate it, I accept it. We each have our own reasons for liking a place, or not.
If I like something it must be good and so you have to like it too!

I just find it funny that the Franchise Times President is named John Hamburger.

Oh, and if I want chicken, I'm driving right past Chick-fil-A to Raising Cane's.

I just finished off a Carl's (Hardees) 1/2 lb guacamole bacon burger. They used to call it the six dollar burger because you could get a $6 restaurant sized burger for $3.99. Now they don't call it a $6 burger anymore because it costs more than $6. But, then again, double that for your average restaurant burger here.

I just find it funny that the Franchise Times President is named John Hamburger.

Oh, and if I want chicken, I'm driving right past Chick-fil-A to Raising Cane's.

Caine’s is fairly new here and we went a number of times and liked it, but once I found out their secret recipe is MSG, I’ll pass most of the time.

I just finished off a Carl's (Hardees) 1/2 lb guacamole bacon burger. They used to call it the six dollar burger because you could get a $6 restaurant sized burger for $3.99. Now they don't call it a $6 burger anymore because it costs more than $6. But, then again, double that for your average restaurant burger here.

Avocados got spendy but still quite delicious. :) Always such a pain to find one at the store that is the ripeness you want though.

Back