So, student pilots.. Who are we and where do we stand?

My first introductory lesson was last October. Early November met with my AME for the first time. I have been working through the medical issues ever since. Finally got the medical last week. First solo was yesterday. 4 TO’s and landings. Landings weren’t bad but weren’t my best either. Was pretty much uneventful. My instructor was nervous and I had to help calm him down.

New student here in the Florida keys! I have been flying with friends many times in there 172's and Cub. I finally put my foot down and started with an CFI in Miami got my first class medical. I did my first 1.4 hours logged/dual today. Did 5 low speed stalls and 4 touch & goes from TMB. My CFI is really tough but is extremely safe. Really looking forward to the next steps.

Last edited:
I'm 41 and about to start flight training with the aim to fly commercial for the remainder of my physically fit years, however long that may be (65, maybe beyond)! No one has told me I'm crazy yet, including current airline pilots, so I have great motivation and a first class medical in hand. I have the unique opportunity to treat training as a job so will push for 2-3 flights per week plus 2 ground school sessions. Money is an issue but I'm determined to figure it out, will most likely take from my measly retirement account for PPL at a part 61 here in Alaska then finance the rest through part 141 somewhere down in the states. I'm excited, intimidated and fending off all sorts of crazy thoughts about my age and my ability to pull this off. Ground school starts July 19th, flight lessons the week after. Wahoo!!

@VIGOinAK, where in AK are you, what airport will you be training out of?
(I'm based at Merrill)

Hi! I live in Girdwood. I’ll be training with Arctic Flyers. I did an intro with Alyeska Heli out of your neck of the woods. That was a wild ride. : ) But decided to go fixed wing. You work at Merrill?
@VIGOinAK, where in AK are you, what airport will you be training out of?
(I'm based at Merrill)

They are at Lake Hood, right? Well, welcome to one of the country's craziest airspaces! With five busy airports within just a few miles of each other... there are a whole bunch of "special rules" that keep aircraft from getting in each others' way as they come and go.
It'll seem overwhelming at first, but your instructor will handle all of it at first, and you'll get the rhythm of it over time.
If you can learn to fly here, you'll be able to deal with any airspace, any tower, anywhere, it'll seem simple by comparison. :)
Then, you can fly to the Girdwood strip for some non-towered "quiet time".
Enjoy it! This is a great place to learn to fly. Keep us all posted...

70 years old and pursuing my lifelong desire to learn (and always be learning) to fly. Sport Pilot training in a Jabiru J230d and i am close to my check ride. unlike many things, the doin' has been so much more than the wantin' but life requires many things and sometimes a pilot license cannot even be considered till... insert your reason (children (school, events, college, grad school), heavy career time requirements (don't learn to fly till you can devote the time IMO) etc.
my instructor is so patient and such a great person. i love every lesson and every solo (also a lesson).

70 years old and pursuing my lifelong desire to learn (and always be learning) to fly. Sport Pilot training in a Jabiru J230d and i am close to my check ride. unlike many things, the doin' has been so much more than the wantin' but life requires many things and sometimes a pilot license cannot even be considered till... insert your reason (children (school, events, college, grad school), heavy career time requirements (don't learn to fly till you can devote the time IMO) etc.
my instructor is so patient and such a great person. i love every lesson and every solo (also a lesson).

Great! Get 'er done!

They are at Lake Hood, right? Well, welcome to one of the country's craziest airspaces! With five busy airports within just a few miles of each other... there are a whole bunch of "special rules" that keep aircraft from getting in each others' way as they come and go.
It'll seem overwhelming at first, but your instructor will handle all of it at first, and you'll get the rhythm of it over time.
If you can learn to fly here, you'll be able to deal with any airspace, any tower, anywhere, it'll seem simple by comparison. :)
Then, you can fly to the Girdwood strip for some non-towered "quiet time".
Enjoy it! This is a great place to learn to fly. Keep us all posted...

Yes they’re at Lake Hood. It WAS overwhelming but in spite of that he still let me take off and land during the intro. My hands were on the controls 90% of the flight. : ) I think he’ll give me a very good foundation. I took a flight with a friend in and out of Girdwood with a stop in Whittier, both runways seem challenging but I’m excited to get comfy with them. Thinking about going the plane purchase route to build hours. Thanks for your thoughts!

I'm 52 and just about 3/4 of the way thru my PPL training. All of it has been in a tail wheel so far. I'm at about 35 hours total. Hope to purchase my own plane and log some adventures!

20 something hours here, student pilot. Passed my Stage 1 check, coming up on Solo and the Stage 2 soon. Unfortunately only have about a week worth of flights left then will be out of town for 2.5 months, so whatever doesn't get finished before then will get slow played as I assume i'll need a few hops to refresh before pushing forward in the fall. Hope to wrap up my Private in the fall and start working on Instrument Rating.

20 something hours here, student pilot. Passed my Stage 1 check, coming up on Solo and the Stage 2 soon. Unfortunately only have about a week worth of flights left then will be out of town for 2.5 months.

Don't let that 2.5 months go to waste. Keep yourself immersed in your studies. There's more to becoming a pilot than just stick and rudder practice. Come back after you break with an even stronger understanding of the conceptual material and your remaining hours will be more productive.

20 hours is a solid foundation to learn from and apply it to the written if you havent taken it already. Use that 2.5 months to knock out the written test. Thats what Id do.

f.

20 something hours here, student pilot. Passed my Stage 1 check, coming up on Solo and the Stage 2 soon. Unfortunately only have about a week worth of flights left then will be out of town for 2.5 months, so whatever doesn't get finished before then will get slow played as I assume i'll need a few hops to refresh before pushing forward in the fall. Hope to wrap up my Private in the fall and start working on Instrument Rating.

I'm in a similar boat. I'm at 50 hours, passed the written, prepping for final phase check and checkride thereafter. Instructor hasn't given me the go-ahead quite yet and I have [lots and lots] of travel coming up starting in August. I try to focus on the fact that every flight is time at the controls and opportunities to get better. I'll get PPL eventually.

I do like the advice on focusing on the written (wish I had done it sooner). Good luck!

I just assumed that I shouldn't worry about the written until I had done the solo, Stage 2 and was pushing towards wrapping up the curriculum, but I guess if I can take it, couldn't hurt to start prepping questions.

Finally got in a IR lesson/see where I'm at flight Saturday morning.

I flew out of X04 (Orlando Apopka) in a new to me Piper Cherokee. Has a Garmin 430W, Aspen display and a GTX345. Pretty nice setup. We flew some air work (standard rate turns, climbing turns, descending turns, etc.) specifically using the trim to make altitude adjustments rather than the throttle. It works really well once I 1) figured out which way to turn the ##$*# window crank (aka trim handle) and 2) How much to turn it (2 full turns for ~ 300'/minute). Then we flew the ILS 7 into KORL (Orlando Exec) twice and the GPS A into X04 to finish up. Other than a small bounce and using a fair amount of runway on the last landing (speed management!) I did fine. I asked how much more work he thinks I need and he said you flew to PTS standards today. I need more radio work (and I need him to be quiet sometimes!) but maybe I can get this rating done.

John

I flew out of X04 (Orlando Apopka) in a new to me Piper Cherokee. Has a Garmin 430W, Aspen display and a GTX345. Pretty nice setup. We flew some air work (standard rate turns, climbing turns, descending turns, etc.) specifically using the trim to make altitude adjustments rather than the throttle. It works really well once I 1) figured out which way to turn the ##$*# window crank (aka trim handle) and 2) How much to turn it (2 full turns for ~ 300'/minute). Then we flew the ILS 7 into KORL (Orlando Exec) twice and the GPS A into X04 to finish up. Other than a small bounce and using a fair amount of runway on the last landing (speed management!) I did fine. I asked how much more work he thinks I need and he said you flew to PTS standards today. I need more radio work (and I need him to be quiet sometimes!) but maybe I can get this rating done.

John

Good deal! Were you flying with First Landings?

John

And scheduled for another this Saturday. Maybe I can knock this thing out after all.

I'm 37, British (but in process of becoming a US citizen too) and finally able to chase a lifelong dream of flying... well, if TSA ever fix their stupid website otherwise I'll have to wait for my citizenship next year. Sigh. Hoping that being an old starter isn't gonna be too much of a problem. I've been a career sports coach for over 10yrs so I'm still in good shape, and I got my first class medical as the first step in the process to be safe.

Planning to learn with Vista Air flying a 172S out of Whiteman Airport in SoCal, looking to get my PPL this summer / fall then make as much progress as I can towards commercial and maybe CFI next year and into 2021. Looks like I'll be doing most of the learning for the written tests first, but I'm kinda cool with that. It's fun to read and learn stuff about subjects that are interesting anyway.

I have a couple of friends who've made it all the way to regional carriers now and they've given me a lot of guidance, but any further advice greatly appreciated!

And scheduled for another this Saturday. Maybe I can knock this thing out after all.

Completely draining flight Saturday. We started late (previous user started late so it just snowballed...). Off the ground about 10. It was HOT. And bumpy. Clouds were scattered with bases about 2000 feet. We flew through a few.

We started out of Apopka (X04) and headed west. Climbed up to 2000 feet, then after some tooling around called Orlando Approach to do the hold at MAMBO (northwest of Orlando). Asked for 4000 feet were assigned 4500. I did 2 1/2 laps and had no problem with it. We used the 430 as a DME and the VOR 309 radial rather than the GPS point...

After that, we requested the RNAV 3 approach into Leesburg (KLEE) via PUNQU (full approach). We were cleared down to 2000 then told to get down there NOW! So back down below the cloud bases to bump around. Using the 430 with the early warning to turn then the turn now directions is nice. KLEE is using runway 13 and the instructor intends for us to circle to 13 for circling approach practice. KLEE is busy. Orlando Approach is busy. Everybody is busy (me too!). First approach goes fine. Since we are turning left to circle (in a low wing plane), the instructor tells me use the rudder and simply skid the turn so as to not lose visual contact. So I do. We're flying fast enough it's not really a problem-no stall danger. We make a low pass (~500 feet) then go missed. Back to Orlando Approach and around for another pass. So back to PUNQU. Radio is chattering away (and I'm trying to listen for our call sign), instructor is chattering away (and I'm trying to listen to him-he's saying stuff I should probably hear, though repetitively). I turn at PUNQU to 311. And keep turning because I'm distracted by all the chatter, traffic and bumps. At about 340 I realize I've over shot the heading, say that out loud and correct. Instructor says "I wondered how much I'd have to talk before you did that. And how long before you noticed." As we continue the approach, KLEE turns everybody around to use 31 and tells us to circle south for 31. OK. Wind hasn't changed, so we're not sure what he's up to (later he comes up on frequency and thanks us for accommodating an jet departure on 31), but here we go. Then when we're about 1.5 miles out, he turns everybody back around... And there are at least two other planes in the pattern. So we wind up circling north, and #2 behind a C-172 on a 3 mile base! We follow as directed, fly the runway at 1000 feet and head back to X04 VFR.

I join a right base for 15 in Apopka (X04) and have some trouble finding the airport visually. But once I've got it, I manage a nice crosswind squeaker in a plane I've only landed 4 times. I'll take it. But my mental state is just toast. Between the constant chatter and load of flying instrument procedures in an unfamiliar plane, I'm done. Instructor says I'm doing well. Knock out the cross country and I'm probably ready. I think I'll ask him to shut up for the cross country and see if I can handle the radio...

John

IR cross country today. X04 -> KPIE, ILS 36, missed to the west, pick up clearance from KPIE->KGNV direct OCF at 4000’. Flew through clouds and some rain. We were assigned RNAV 11. We requested LOC for 11 and were told “Expect RNAV 11.” As we approached we were assigned vectors to LOC 29. Nasty storm west of the airport. I flew a nice approach through and around building clouds. Good squeaker of a landing. We shut down and took a break. Checked weather, started up, got our clearance on the ground and headed back to KORL via LEESE 2 with the OCF transition. Cleared to 5000’ we were perhaps 1000’ below the tops of the scattered clouds. We were cleared direct LEESE. At this point we requested X04 and were cleared direct at 3000’. This was perhaps 100’ above the cloud bases-so we were continuing in and out of clouds. We requested RNAV A forX04 and were cleared direct MODIN at 2000’. Now it’s out of the clouds and in the bumps. I flew in and landed a bit sloppy but ok.

Debrief after and the instructor says “You’re ready. Fill out the 8710 and pick a DPE.”

So, a little more oral prep and take the ride. :)

3.9 hours, ~1.5 actual.

John

Debrief after and the instructor says “You’re ready. Fill out the 8710 and pick a DPE.”

Nice. This will seem obvious to you later, but those of us reading along seeing you hit that point where small stuff annoys you, meant that it was coming soon. Hahaha.

If you think back to the early hours where you’d be more concerned that you couldn’t even maintain gross aircraft control consistently, the change to being annoyed by little things shows the progression — even if it feels like it’s still insanely overwhelming now.

When you started, you didn’t know enough to be overwhelmed. Ha. :)

Get ‘Er Done! Just focus focus focus for one long flight after that oral, and keep going even if you think you screwed up. Don’t stew on anything thirty seconds into the past, just push it out and focus on where the airplane is going now, and you’ll nail It.

Good luck!

Nice. This will seem obvious to you later, but those of us reading along seeing you hit that point where small stuff annoys you, meant that it was coming soon. Hahaha.

If you think back to the early hours where you’d be more concerned that you couldn’t even maintain gross aircraft control consistently, the change to being annoyed by little things shows the progression — even if it feels like it’s still insanely overwhelming now.

When you started, you didn’t know enough to be overwhelmed. Ha. :)

Get ‘Er Done! Just focus focus focus for one long flight after that oral, and keep going even if you think you screwed up. Don’t stew on anything thirty seconds into the past, just push it out and focus on where the airplane is going now, and you’ll nail It.

Good luck!

Thanks. Some of the parting words from the instructor were to remember to be way ahead of what happens next in the plane (setting up radios, GPS etc. for the next approach or miss) and even if you go full deflection on an approach don’t quit-go missed: climb, get on course fly to the MAP and fly the missed approach. So, don’t quit.

Last edited:
Thanks. Some of the parting words from the instructor were to remember to be way ahead of what happens next in the plane (setting up radios, GPS etc. for the next approach or miss) and even if you go full deflection on an approach don’t quit-go missed: climb, get on course fly to the MAP and fly the missed approach. So, don’t quit.

Wise words. Stay Pilot In Command the whole time and announce any decisions out loud so the examiner isn’t mind reading and you’ll be good to go!

At the end of the day they want to know you’re SAFE and not just along for the ride, not perfect. :)

Meeting with CFI this weekend to go over logbooks, review aircraft logbooks (and tab out inspections, AD compliance), and fill out endorsements for private pilot ASEL. Then schedule the checkride, one more dual flight about a few days from checkride just to practice one more time then the big day.

I am nervous just thinking about it, but I know I'm ready. I have felt like PIC and at home in the aircraft over the past several flights. Still nervous for the oral and short field landings. All other maneuvers I hit spot on every time.

IACRA done. Logbook endorsements and oral prep scheduled for tomorrow night. Then schedule the DPE & plane. It looks like a mere 11 years after starting this rating I may finish it.

IACRA done. Logbook endorsements and oral prep scheduled for tomorrow night. Then schedule the DPE & plane. It looks like a mere 11 years after starting this rating I may finish it.

I know that feeling. I started and stopped for a very long time. I still appreciate that @jesse told me to get my ass to Nebraska and finish it many years ago. That led to a ratings addiction after that. Ha.

So when’s the Commercial? Hahaha.

You’ve got this. Relax and have fun. Get ‘Er Done!

I know that feeling. I started and stopped for a very long time. I still appreciate that @jesse told me to get my ass to Nebraska and finish it many years ago. That led to a ratings addiction after that. Ha.

So when’s the Commercial? Hahaha.

You’ve got this. Relax and have fun. Get ‘Er Done!

Multi is next (if I do another.) If I suddenly have lots of free time, maybe some seaplane ratings. Although I suppose if I did the commercial first, I could get commercial in all those as I went. Dang it Nate! Now you've got me thinking commercial.

Multi is next (if I do another.) If I suddenly have lots of free time, maybe some seaplane ratings. Although I suppose if I did the commercial first, I could get commercial in all those as I went. Dang it Nate! Now you've got me thinking commercial.

With the advanced systems aircraft thing it got simpler if you have access to that and not a retract.

I went Commercial in the multi first which covered the retract rule at the time then did the initial CFI first in the twin also. Then added SE Comm and CFI in my 182.

With the advanced systems aircraft thing it got simpler if you have access to that and not a retract.

I went Commercial in the multi first which covered the retract rule at the time then did the initial CFI first in the twin also. Then added SE Comm and CFI in my 182.

Yeah, I don't have ready access to either. In fact, I don't have access to a multi here. But I have ambition to buy one someday (maybe relatively soon). (How fast can I spend money? :) ) I knew I wanted to finish the IR first and make my multi ride include the IR. But I really hadn't considered the commercial, and maybe I should.

I have my endorsements, but my performance on the oral review was not up to par. (I was pretty fuzzy headed after a stressful week and long day, but still.)

The instructor said "You're free to try but I'd rather you be better prepared." I certainly agree with that one! So more oral prep.

I've been in the simulators for well over a decade now, finally able to seriously look at training and I'm frankly at a loss where to go from here. It seems like such an expensive and risky ordeal to attempt making a career out of, especially for rotorwing. What's the best way to climb the ladder towards commercial without burying yourself financially?

I've been in the simulators for well over a decade now, finally able to seriously look at training and I'm frankly at a loss where to go from here. It seems like such an expensive and risky ordeal to attempt making a career out of, especially for rotorwing. What's the best way to climb the ladder towards commercial without burying yourself financially?

Join the military.

Join the military.

That’s really about it. You can also start with a very large savings account and teach for long enough to get you to a flying job that’ll barely pay the bills, and then wait for the one that pays well enough to not have to dip into savings for things.

Many take pay cuts (!) leaving instructing for that first job.

It’s not a well paid industry until you’ve survived it at least a decade and managed to miss the furloughs. After that it gets much better rapidly.

Heyoooooo! I'm from IL, about 40 minutes north of downtown Chicago (on a good day). I began training at UGN but they don't have any LSA, so I switched up to RAC because sport is really a better option for me than private. I've got just over 20 hours, and I'd really like to get my tail wheel endorsement as well!

Back