How do you thank a controller

455 Bravo Uniform

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
455 Bravo Uniform
On my way KLAF to KBKL with VFR flight following early afternoon today. Started the flight at 7500 through a scattered 6000 layer. About halfway, started closing in (broken) so dropped to 5500, then 3500 as it kept dropping. At around 2500 and almost there, decided to pull the plug. Diverted to Norwalk 5A1. Mansfield approach was helpful with heading, frequency, rwy particulars, wind, etc, and I’d like to thank the controller with a note or email. Any way you guys know to do this?

Call the facility and ask for their mailing address. (The facility's, not the individual controller’s.)

On my way KLAF to KBKL with VFR flight following early afternoon today. Started the flight at 7500 through a scattered 6000 layer. About halfway, started closing in (broken) so dropped to 5500, then 3500 as it kept dropping. At around 2500 and almost there, decided to pull the plug. Diverted to Norwalk 5A1. Mansfield approach was helpful with heading, frequency, rwy particulars, wind, etc, and I’d like to thank the controller with a note or email. Any way you guys know to do this?
Does she sound hot and you're just trying to creep out on her :)

Kidding aside, I am sure they would like to hear it! Did you have to divert to find an opening to get below the clouds or did you have to keep changing altitude?

How absolutely kind of you to want to express your appreciation for the professional teamwork from ATC; they've pulled my butt out of the fire before. Call the facility, ask for a supervisor, give him your compliment, and ask that he/she pass it on to the controllers working your flight. Radar love.

Aw shucks...you're welcome. ;)

Seriously, do what Bobanna suggested above and be sure to include the date and the time so they can look it up on the position logs to see exactly who it was that helped you.

If thanking a man, Whiskey or tobacco. But calling supervisor is a good move too.

This weekend is our monthly Young Eagles rallye. The controllers and FBO staff not on duty have been invited to come flying with us after we finish with the kids. We try to make sure all the controllers get at least one flight a year with us. We also bring pizza and some sort of pie to the tower for lunch every month after the rallye. We like our controllers. We want them to like us. We're not above stooping to bribery.

Letter to the head of the facility. They can track back who talked to you.
The boss hears if one of his people screws up. They don't mind hearing if one goes beyond the minimum.

Last edited:
Thanks guys. I’ll call the facility in the morning...dumb question, how/where do I find the phone number? Mansfield Appch.

Did you have to divert to find an opening to get below the clouds or did you have to keep changing altitude?

I had dropped below the clouds earlier when I saw scattered was turning to broken. Then the broken ceiling just started dropping more the closer I got to my destination. It was kinda scary actually how quickly it was happening.

Need to practice using the dang NRST button on my new to me GPS in case I need it again sometime. And the chart function. And the freq. And other details.

Still used to messing with Foreflight/iPad and the bumps were not helping. Glad the controller volunteered all that info for me.

Beyond the great idea of the personal note of thanks to the controller (who doesn’t like a personally written note?), you could setup a visit to the facility and see what goes on behind the scenes and pass in a thanks again that way too.

A couple of times I thanked a tower crew or ATC for their support. Said something like "let the supervisor know how much I appreciate the capability/courtesy/support/help; and a supervisor voiced over "we appreciate it or thanks and glad to help".

"Thank you" in response to their actions goes a long way. It's also my standard response when they give me a precipitation advisory when I don't need to change course as a result.

My neighbor is a center controller. Unfortunately he works a sector and shift I never fly. But if I have to thank him some day it will be with beer.

If you want something physical, send them a gift card for someplace like Panera or Einstein Bros and ask the supervisor to get something for the crew when the controller is working. Don't take them things directly, they'll feel better if they order it themselves. Nobody ever got upset by bagels and coffee as a thank you.

It's hard to thank our partners on the ground enough. Maybe it's an often thankless job, but when you're talking with a final controller on your cellphone with no alternator or gyros in 100 and a 1/4 for a PAR, you really appreciate their calm cadence and professionalism (I've never been there, btw, just under the hood). With their help it's gonna work out,,'cause it has to. Radar love.

Controllers are generally very helpful and concerned for your safety, especially when IFR. They probably don't hear often enough that they do their job well.

Sounds like they did what they are paid to do. Their paycheck paid with your tax dollars should be thanks enough.

They're well-compensated, no doubt. But who else do you want on the other end of the line when you're stuck in the goo looking for a safe way down? They get personally involved (and with the help of dedicated supervisors) and they go almost one-on one to resolve your emergency. You can't buy this level of dedication. Radar love.

It's hard to thank our partners on the ground enough. Maybe it's an often thankless job, but when you're talking with a final controller on your cellphone with no alternator or gyros in 100 and a 1/4 for a PAR, you really appreciate their calm cadence and professionalism (I've never been there, btw, just under the hood). With their help it's gonna work out,,'cause it has to. Radar love.

Did this happen to you?

Did this happen to you?

Hood conditions only; yellow post-its all over my panel, one engine caged, and a Lt Cl in the right seat (IP); but, believe me, it was a blast! " 50feet above glide slope, right of glide path, correcting; If you do not hear me transmit within five seconds, initiate missed approach..." (I call that the riot-act). Wish I could do it again, you can't buy this kind of disciplined teamwork Anywhere. Radar love.

Last edited:
Hood conditions only; yellow post-its all over my panel, one engine caged, and a Lt Cl in the right seat (IP); but, believe me, it was a blast! " If you do not hear me transmit within five seconds, initiate missed approach..." (I call that the riot-act). Wish I could do it again.

Did you simulate actually using a cellphone?

"Thank you" in response to their actions goes a long way. It's also my standard response when they give me a precipitation advisory when I don't need to change course as a result.

I agree that pleasantries go a long way. Its interesting to me how many will knock another pilot for their radio etiquette for saying things not in the official phraseology. I start my contacts with ATC with a "good morning/afternoon/evening," I almost never call up and just lay it all out on the line, I always call up "with request" and wait until they get back to me before stating my request and I regularly say "please" or "if able" when making my requests whether VFR or IFR and I almost always sign off saying some variation of "thanks for the help. Have a good one." I dont know that it does anything but I have to say I feel like I've gotten away with some mistakes that otherwise might not have been permitted and I've often gotten approval for things that other pilots have told me its not even worth asking/trying to do and that they've never gotten approval before.

So yeah, knock me all you want for being more friendly and conversational than the official phraseology says I should be but I'm still going to do it when radio traffic permits. IMO its possible to be friendly and conversational in tone without tying up the channel. Pretty much everything I would say adds less than 5 seconds in total to my entire conversation with ATC.

I agree that pleasantries go a long way. Its interesting to me how many will knock another pilot for their radio etiquette for saying things not in the official phraseology. I start my contacts with ATC with a "good morning/afternoon/evening," I almost never call up and just lay it all out on the line, I always call up "with request" and wait until they get back to me before stating my request and I regularly say "please" or "if able" when making my requests whether VFR or IFR and I almost always sign off saying some variation of "thanks for the help. Have a good one." I dont know that it does anything but I have to say I feel like I've gotten away with some mistakes that otherwise might not have been permitted and I've often gotten approval for things that other pilots have told me its not even worth asking/trying to do and that they've never gotten approval before.

So yeah, knock me all you want for being more friendly and conversational than the official phraseology says I should be but I'm still going to do it when radio traffic permits. IMO its possible to be friendly and conversational in tone without tying up the channel. Pretty much everything I would say adds less than 5 seconds in total to my entire conversation with ATC.

I was raised in the South. If I don't say "please" and "thank you" my mama will slap me.

I had dropped below the clouds earlier when I saw scattered was turning to broken. Then the broken ceiling just started dropping more the closer I got to my destination. It was kinda scary actually how quickly it was happening.

Need to practice using the dang NRST button on my new to me GPS in case I need it again sometime. And the chart function. And the freq. And other details.

Still used to messing with Foreflight/iPad and the bumps were not helping. Glad the controller volunteered all that info for me.

Last summer i got into some wicked turbulence (for me). It was so bad there was no way I could use my touch screen gps while controlling the aircraft. I wanted to get out of this at the closest airport but no way could i get the freq's up on the gps. I ended up flying another 20 miles to an airport that i knew the freqs.

Lesson learned - I now print out kneeboard data for all airports along my route of flight.

Touchscreens are great - except in significant turbulence in light aircraft.

Back