#OSH19 Jambalaya and Chili Party - Tuesday

Is this going to be kid friendly? Normally we won’t go to evening events but we are from Louisiana so Jambalaya sounds great!
No events geared specifically for kids, but we certainly have a few teenagers around here. Plenty of non-alcoholic libations. No one gets crazy.

Well, I was gonna stop by but one of the gate people said the trams pretty much stopped at 8. Don’t think I could handle a hike from Camp Bacon back to the N40.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well, I was gonna stop by but one of the gate people said the trams pretty much stopped at 8. Don’t think I could handle a hike from Camp Bacon back to the N40.

With enough alcohol anything is possible. Ask Jay. LOL.

I was under the impression that they trade the trams for the school buses at 8pm? At least some still run until 11pm.

We’re not going to make it either. My son has a food allergy and one of the few places he can eat (tent by the museum) was supposed to be open until 9pm (per the EAA app), but closed at 6pm. So by the time we got there at 8pm and found it closed, we then had to hitch a ride back and work an alternate dinner at the camp.

It was a very successful event! We had 70-80 people come through. We actually had enough for everyone to have at least one and for some three servings. It was great to see so many friends there; both those we’ve known for years and those we didn’t know we had. It’s the people who make it special, both the attendees and those who help make pull it all together. Special shout-out to Leslie for the tremendous job she does in making it happen and making it SO DELICIOUS!

It was only a half hour walk on an unlit road.

We tried to find it, but never having been to Oshkosh before and not knowing where Camp Bacon was (and neither did anyone we asked), the directions provided at the beginning of this thread did not allow us to locate it. We found the intersection of Forest Home and Lindbergh, but 48th street was about seven blocks west of that intersection. The only event we saw anywhere near that appeared to be an Airline Pilots association function (maybe that was it and we just didn’t know). Anyway, after much searching, we headed on back to Homebuilt Camping and had dinner at A&W on the way. Would have much preferred jambalaya and chili. Maybe catch it next year.

We tried to find it, but never having been to Oshkosh before and not knowing where Camp Bacon was (and neither did anyone we asked), the directions provided at the beginning of this thread did not allow us to locate it. We found the intersection of Forest Home and Lindbergh, but 48th street was about seven blocks west of that intersection.

Bummer! They did, for reasons unknown, re-number the streets this year. The site we camp at a few blocks west of Camp Bacon used to be on 42nd St but this year it was on 34th (same spot).

But, to assist you next time - Camp Bacon is in Google Maps. :) But you can be forgiven for not expecting that. :yes:

I enjoyed the great conversations and awesome food!

Also, Erin Miller, author of of "Final Flight, Final Fight", was at the party and handing out bookmarks about her book. Last night I got it from Amazon and it's a great book. I had to force myself to stop and get to bed. Fascinating story about the WASP ladies, Erin's family's struggle to get her grandmother buried at Arlington, and getting a bill through Congress. Of course, being a manly man, the pages didn't get all blurry as I read the first chapter about her Grandmother's final struggle with cancer. Wish I had read it before AirVenture and when Erin came through, talked to her about it and thanked her for sharing the story of the WASP.

Bummer! They did, for reasons unknown, re-number the streets this year. The site we camp at a few blocks west of Camp Bacon used to be on 42nd St but this year it was on 34th (same spot).

But, to assist you next time - Camp Bacon is in Google Maps. :) But you can be forgiven for not expecting that. :yes:
So was it the site that was flying the ALPA flags out front? That was what we saw at that location and thought it was an airline pilots function. Should have probably asked.

So was it the site that was flying the ALPA flags out front? That was what we saw at that location and thought it was an airline pilots function. Should have probably asked.

Ummmm... Probably not? I don't remember any flags at all. However, I was thrown for a loop myself this year because Camp Bacon didn't seem to start right on the corner this year - There were a couple of campers right on Lindbergh that were not a part of it, so it wasn't as easy to see. I just looked for the big white tent.

We'll have to do better with the vectors to final next year...

Nope the ALPA tent was further down toward the show. It was a separate group. I walked past Camp Bacon twice. I guess I need an iPad with a purple line to navigate anywhere. ;)

Sorry for any confusion about finding it this year! My message was posted before I was even on site. At Kent said, we were in the same spot as last year, but they renumbered the streets, and we were back one spot from Lindbergh this year. As Kent also pointed out, we are on Google Maps, which means you can actually search for us using the official EAA App, as well as being in Apple Maps.

I’ll try to procure signage to put out next year, and hope to see you!

Back