ADS-B ATC Test

VWGhiaBob

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
VWGhiaBob
Headed to airport to pick up my plane which has new ADS-B.

Do I have to test it with ATC on the first flight? I found this tool: https://adsbperformance.faa.gov/PAPRRequest.aspx

But I'm also wondering if I just get flight following on the way home and they will tell me if all's OK.

Any info appreciated...will ask shop also, of course.

I think the best a controller can do (assuming their console is set up for it) would be to tell you if they are receiving your ADS-B data and possibly if there is a flight ID mismatch. The PAPR report is really the best way to see if everything is working up to snuff (kinematics, SIL, etc).

Three times lately I've heard people get on with approach control and ask for help with an ADS-B registration or verification flight and the controller has literally no idea what they're talking about. This usually turns into a 60 second conversation on freq with the pilot trying to explain what all they need and the controller either asking somebody else in the room they work with for help or just telling the pilot they can give them a code and a place to do maneuvers if they want.

What I would do is just plan part of your flight into an area where Mode C is currently required, while obviously on FF or in contact with ATC, then go to the site you linked to and see if it worked. I flew an out and back cross country last weekend to take my niece and nephew home and only about 15 mins of each leg was in a current Mode C area and the report worked like a charm. Was on FF the whole time.

That's because controllers didn't get the memo on what pilots need to do to certify/verify an ADS-B transponder. No scope that I know of is set up to actually use the ADS-B information yet. In other words, nothing changed as far as the data tag we see is concerned. We can however, after a few key strokes, determine if the aircraft is equipped with ADS-B but the only change is a little circle in the data tag.

The PAPR report comes way quicker than you think it will after you make the request. Having nothing highlighted in red was a great feeling!

I asked for flight following on my ADSB verification flight. Not sure it’s needed, but I requested anyway since I was flying back and forth through busy air space.

For added measure to ensure you’re being “painted”, I’d talk to ATC, get a squawk code, and do your maneuvers. (At least 30 minutes in Rule airspace, a few turns left and right... I flew for an hour to be safe.)

Is this for a rebate flight? If so you have to do what you linked to. If not, just fly around and then lookup you tail number on flightaware. Every flight I have made now shows up thete, no VFR or IFR flight plan needed and no flight following required either. I think I always get picked up at 700agl and it seems to drop off agsin when decent ing bsck down below that for a certain amount of time. My wife did some touch and go's and it kept looking it all as one flight.

What ADSB out equipment are you using. Maybe a 1090ES (or whatever it us) might be different than the 978 or 987 or whatever that is.

I am guessing distance from your airport to a ATC radar and/or the ADSB Ground towers might also determine what altitude you are first picked up.

Another test we did was startup a copy of Garmin Pilot and our GDL39 down on the ground. I could see my wife taxi, takeoff and out several miles always getting tail number, altitude, aircraft type (I think) and ground speed.

I also did flight following twice to make different squawks were working. I never ask ATC to verify as its been said here previously that that isn't there responsibility.

If yours is a in/out box you will also want to verify that you are getting the wx, etc.

I assume you already have a ‘rebate reservation code’? I did my flight in and above ‘Class C’ airspace with flight following.

If I was to fly it again I think I’d just go above 10k and fly around with a few turns & such.

If you’re flying home, just incorporate a handful of the flight requirements to get-R-Done.

I have found nothing in the regulations requiring that ADS-B out be tested. Ever. Perhaps I have not looked hard enough.

For the "Public ADS-B Performance Report", just fly around for a while. I just made a big arc-ish around the south end of DTW class B for purd near an hour not talking to nobody and requested the report - short time later, results.
Getting the rebate might require something else.

edit: You have to select "not installed" for the second GPS - you can't just ignore that field.

Last edited:
91.227 specifies the performance requirements that an ADS-B install must meet. Not all avionics shops have the equipment to verify the ADS-B data on the ground, so they can sign off the install for performance of an Operational Flight Evaluation and then use the PAPR to show that the requirements of 91.227 are being met. If they have the means to verify it on the ground, then an OFE isn't required. But the 337 for the install must document that it was evaluated and complies with 91.227. See https://www.faa.gov/nextgen/equipad...B_Out-In_Installation_Tech_Paper(9-25-17).pdf

It's also recommended (though not regulatory) that operators check their PAPR report periodically to ensure that it is still operating within spec. I would expect at some point the transponder test requirements of 91.413 might incorporate checking it as well.

I would expect that after the flight, just put your tail number into flightaware and see if it shows in the track log.

I would expect that after the flight, just put your tail number into flightaware and see if it shows in the track log.
Which it won't. (At least it doesn't for me). Why not just request the report from the FAA - they do a number of checks on the data - comparing changes in position / altitude with expected rates of change, etc. Plus, you can (apparently) show up on flight aware with no ADS-B at all. So, what would it tell you if you did or didn't show up?

I look at Flightaware flights for both of my planes often. They both are ADS-B equipped. Both of them show up on flightaware after any flight over 1500 feet or so. The track log shows the ADS-B tower for each entry. Before ADS-B the flights only showed up when I filed.

Last edited:
99E38738-1508-4ABD-B673-481C55FD1B98.jpeg

Partial flight data including ADS-B postings in the right column. I know you don’t think I’m very smart, but I made this work.

Once the flightpath is shown click on “View Tracklog.” If your transponder is working, that data will show up.

Which ADS-B transponder do you have? Maybe a Skybeacon doesn’t show up like a transponder.

Last edited:
Which it won't. (At least it doesn't for me).
On Flightaware, do you have an account set-up or just looking without one? If you have an account, go into your profile and check the setting to show position flights only. All flights will show up now unless you or someone else has their tail number blocked.

Screen Shot 2019-08-01 at 7.59.46 PM.png

Cheers,
Brian

Yes, now with my new ADS-B transponder, all my flights show up on flight-aware.

Flight-aware will not tell you whether the equipment is working properly. You really need to check a PAPR. Also, ATC does use the ADS-B output everywhere in the U.S. - it's just not obvious to the controller. That's by design. Controllers control - not engineer or troubleshoot.

But it tells you the transponder is working. Doing the GAIRS or whatever, tells you that everything is within spec.

That said, my installer did testing.

Great! Knowing each other’s whereabouts at all times makes for a good relationship.

Back