Flight school in college or after?

Jubjub86

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Jubjub86
Hi I am going to start going to college soon and I was wondering if it’s better to go to an expensive flying college and have all my ratings when I get out or go to a cheap college then do flight training after at atp or something

I'd do PPL and Instrument rating while in college

I don’t think I can afford it but I would love to save all that time

The answer probably depends on a multitude of factors. For example, are you trying to become an airline pilot? How are you planning to finance your way to ATP?

I’m getting a non-aviation related degree and doing my ratings on the side.

You can do your ratings concurrently while getting your degree in something else besides aviation. I got a BA in economics at an inexpensive state school and flew on the side while going to school.

I’m getting a non-aviation related degree and doing my ratings on the side.
:yeahthat:

By all means learn to fly while you're in college, if you can afford it, but don't waste your money doing it at an expensive aviation college.

Personally never been a huge fan of schools like ERAU, especially if you don’t even have your PPL yet. I have seen way too many people starting their PPL journey ready to go all the way through to the airlines and not make it. Please don’t commit that hard.

Also, you can go to a much cheaper school and easily have the same money to get ratings as if you went to ERAU. Best of luck!

Get a degree in something else you can fall back on.

Get a degree in something else you can fall back on.
However multiple degrees make decisions harder. When you enjoy multiple fields, and jump around your whole life. I may be building car engine 1 week, doing body work doing panel replacement the next, welding projects, maybe doing Floral arrangements on the side, repair or modifying someone Harley, and just was asked to help open a shop and be chief mechanic fixing Harleys, I declined, plus I am a butcher, and merchandiser. Whatever it takes. Lol

However multiple degrees make decisions harder. When you enjoy multiple fields, and jump around your whole life. I may be building car engine 1 week, doing body work doing panel replacement the next, welding projects, maybe doing Floral arrangements on the side, repair or modifying someone Harley, and just was asked to help open a shop and be chief mechanic fixing Harleys, I declined, plus I am a butcher, and merchandiser. Whatever it takes. Lol

Please list the degrees needed for each of those lines of work, if any.

Please list the degrees needed for each of those lines of work, if any.

yes I do have degrees, 19 in total, how about you? I worked hard in my youth, & only stopped going to college when guns were no longer allowed in class, due to govt blackmailing colleges to withhold funding if didn't ban guns, & yes I am 100% serious.

I have auto-mechanics, auto-body, welding, I even have one in antique Harley restoration, plus worked in a "club" shop for over a decade of my youth, floral design, as for being a butcher & merchandiser, on job training. so yes I can back it up, not a flunky.

yes I do have degrees, 19 in total, how about you? I worked hard in my youth, & only stopped going to college when guns were no longer allowed in class, due to govt blackmailing colleges to withhold funding if didn't ban guns, & yes I am 100% serious.

I have auto-mechanics, auto-body, welding, I even have one in antique Harley restoration, plus worked in a "club" shop for over a decade of my youth, floral design, as for being a butcher & merchandiser, on job training. so yes I can back it up, not a flunky.
19 degrees? You mean certificates? (Half serious)

But really though, are they actually degrees or certifications? I’m pretty sure you can’t get a college degree in floral design, being a butcher and antique Harley restoration. Not to mention that a degree isn’t even required to work as an auto mechanic even though various trade schools offer it. An ASE certificate is really all you need.

Nonetheless, kudos to you for all of your hard work.

Last edited:
yes I do have degrees, 19 in total, how about you?

I have one degree. Maybe I'm a flunky.

Well, I also have a Private Pilot Certificate. Is that a degree in your view?

I'm not diminishing the skill, knowledge, or commitment that go into working trades. I'm just plain saying it isn't what the Major Airlines are looking for.

And I won't bother with math problem on 19.

19 degrees? You mean certificates? (Half serious)

But really though, are they actually degrees or certifications? I’m pretty sure you can’t get a college degree in floral design, being a butcher and antique Harley restoration. Not to mention that a degree isn’t even required to work as an auto mechanic even though various trade schools offer it. An ASE certificate is really all you need.

Nonetheless, kudos to you for all of your hard work.

Thanks, & yes was crazy hard work.

yes many of my 19 are certificates, some were only 6-9 months, but my 2 year business management, 2 Year auto-mechanic, Welding & Auto-body were diplomas, I took programs in metal work, machining, some were night classes, as well as was full time student for many years. I even took 2 night classes at College while I was still in High School, I am not a pilot, when I do become one I wont consider it a certificate, I look at it more like a License & a privilege

$$$ is usually an issue. Do what you can afford, try not to borrow to much. Maybe be extra nice to Mom & Dad, they don’t need no fancy vehicles.

The faster track is to do it all at once.

If I had it to do all over again, I would skip all the screwing around and substance use during my college years in favor of spending that time flight training.
I think. o_O

If I had it to do all over again, I would skip all the screwing around and substance use during my college years in favor of spending that time flight training.

My philosophy on raising kids: Get them hooked on aviation, they'll never have money for drugs.

I think. o_O

I just drank, but teachers fussed at me saying i could do so much better, but I stayed on Deans list almost whole time, but I do regret being drunk nearly everyday in class. Unsure if I would have pursued flying at that age, all I wanted to do was street race. I paid for majority of my college street racing, I quit it over 20 years ago. But in my youth I would cancel a date just to work on car to make sure I was in top shape for the race.

Back