Death of the Corvette

Every person I have ever known who’s been killed on motorcycles had manual transmissions.
It’s that sequential shifter. It will get you every time. :p

Hey don’t forget that the mustang GT only comes in stick:):)
Except for the ones that come with the 10-speed automatic, of course. A $1,595 option. Now, the Shelby GT350 is manual only, but the GT500 is auto only [at least for now.]

Fortunately I’m mistaken on that one. A few years ago I thought I remembered looking at the BMW website and was unable to find a manual anywhere.
I'm sure it's coming to that, BMW has phased out manuals from the mainstream line-up. Just not yet. But pretty soon the only manual cars will be MX-5, GT86 (if it lives long enough), Civic Type R, and Wrangler. Speaking of which, one annoying part of the manual transmission that we don't hear mentioned often is that it's weaker than an automatic of comparable size and weight. Or, conversely, you need a bigger and heavier manual if you want to pass the same torque. That alone precludes manuals in performance cars, and it was a massive (get it? haha!) problem the JL Wrangler. FCA just didn't have a car manual in the inventory that could take the torque of the 3.0L diesel. Technically, one can use a planetary gear set in a manual. Ford Model T had one. Russian T-64 tank had it too. But neither of them had an H-pattern shifter.

Counterpoint. Most of my extended family have probably never driven a stick. My kids all drive automatics. All still alive and none have ever killed anyone.

Every person I have ever known who’s been killed on motorcycles had manual transmissions.

Anecdotes are not statistics, you know.

'Tis a sad, sad day when drunken Friday night postings on POA cannot be appreciated for what they are. By a fellow RV brother, no less.

But I suppose anecdotes lie and liars anecdote. Or something like that.

Bartender! Another cocktail, dangnabbit! Oh wait, I'm drinking alone, at home. Well, then: Bartender, Smooth Ambler for all my friends!

Edit: I stand by my view that a stick for teens is a risk mitigator. Surely it reduces texting while driving, or having friends being able to drive their vehicle. Andecdotal, but I stand by it. I will say giving a young male who may have seen one to many "Fast and Furious" movies a Fine German Automobile with performance enhancements does nothing for reducing late night trips to the local constabulary. I can cite a statistic or two on that. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
'Tis a sad, sad day when drunken Friday night postings on POA cannot be appreciated for what they are. By a fellow RV brother, no less.

But I suppose anecdotes lie and liars anecdote. Or something like that.

Bartender! Another cocktail, dangnabbit! Oh wait, I'm drinking alone, at home. Well, then: Bartender, Smooth Ambler for all my friends!
I apologize deeply for my apparent failure to detect your state of inebriation. :) There’s just been so many utterly ignorant, nonsensical and downright dumb posts of late (other threads, mostly) that I may have overlooked the clues.

It’s been a long week. I’m off to mix myself a Manhattan with an extra borough or two. Cheers!!

I'm sure it's coming to that, BMW has phased out manuals from the mainstream line-up. Just not yet. But pretty soon the only manual cars will be MX-5, GT86 (if it lives long enough), Civic Type R, and Wrangler.

The Koreans are smart enough to keep them in their econo-box lineups also. Even if they don’t sell lots of them, the few they sell, helps fleet fuel econ number averages a little.

Nice little new Hyundai in the parking lot at work Friday with a stick. Someone knew how to buy something that’ll probably run perfectly through the enormous Hyundai warranty period.

Speaking of said warranty... they should be commended on doing that in the era of tiny warranties on things with some people putting EIGHT year loans on them.

Not sure which is worse, prices so bad because eight year loans are now a thing, or companies doing tiny little 3 year warranties on stuff intended to last, on average, easily ten plus years. Even at the insurance company standard average miles per year (12,000), a 100,000 mile warranty should be 8.33 years.

Modern auto makers suck in many ways. They’ll happily make that loan (or worse, a lease with awful terms designed to sucker in poor people) but not back the product.

Modern auto makers suck in many ways. They’ll happily make that loan (or worse, a lease with awful terms designed to sucker in poor people) but not back the product.

Well the next few years will be interesting. You have many tech companies getting into the auto industry. Everything from Alphabet(Google) to Lenovo to HCL (Indian firm) plus a few others.
Since we know how well IT companies treat customers; will you look to buy your car from Apple, IBM or Microsoft?

Tim

will you look to buy your car from Apple,

Tim
Well of course, most apple customers are wedged into the brand and don't even think twice about what to buy. If there is an apple logo on a product that's their only option as they see it.

The Koreans are smart enough to keep them in their econo-box lineups also. Even if they don’t sell lots of them, the few they sell, helps fleet fuel econ number averages a little.

Nice little new Hyundai in the parking lot at work Friday with a stick. Someone knew how to buy something that’ll probably run perfectly through the enormous Hyundai warranty period.

Speaking of said warranty... they should be commended on doing that in the era of tiny warranties on things with some people putting EIGHT year loans on them.

Not sure which is worse, prices so bad because eight year loans are now a thing, or companies doing tiny little 3 year warranties on stuff intended to last, on average, easily ten plus years. Even at the insurance company standard average miles per year (12,000), a 100,000 mile warranty should be 8.33 years.

I’d be interested to see how numbers work for the auto manufacturers. Regulations are way, way stricter than they were 40 years ago and with cars lasting longer I believe the sales volumes are notably lower. Then add in the fact that we’ve moved towards lots more luxury features (granted that’s consumer driven not government) and it explains the increase.

My Ram was about $10-15k more than an equivalent Ram was when I bought my last one in 2004. About half of that was easily emissions equipment.

Well the next few years will be interesting. You have many tech companies getting into the auto industry. Everything from Alphabet(Google) to Lenovo to HCL (Indian firm) plus a few others.
Since we know how well IT companies treat customers; will you look to buy your car from Apple, IBM or Microsoft?

Tim

IT companies don’t sell anymore, they rent software to you. They’ll bring the same dumb mentality to large capital purchases, I’m sure. Along with “it doesn’t need to be done right, we’ll just release daily patches to our shoddy work”.

I’d be interested to see how numbers work for the auto manufacturers. Regulations are way, way stricter than they were 40 years ago and with cars lasting longer I believe the sales volumes are notably lower. Then add in the fact that we’ve moved towards lots more luxury features (granted that’s consumer driven not government) and it explains the increase.

My Ram was about $10-15k more than an equivalent Ram was when I bought my last one in 2004. About half of that was easily emissions equipment.

Dunno about volume being lower. More people.
Both Ford and GM were knocking on the underside of a million pickups sold last year. I forgot to look up Dodge. But Chevy/GMC numbers are split, which is dumb. Same truck, different badge.

Interesting how much much lower numbers of specific model cars and other vehicles are though in much more crowded market segments.

They’re all scrambling for a 100,000 units in the vastly overpopulated small bubble fake SUV that won’t survive a dirt road, market.

Camry and Accord have been falling and their smaller cousins are beating them. Civic and Corolla.

Toyota seems hell bent on making a deer hit into a vehicle destroying event with their new front ends. I don’t get that one at all. Looks stupid. Especially if you were meaning to hang an ARB bumper in front of one on the trucks for some real protection and ... city rush hour crashed vehicle removal from road so you can get somewhere duties. LOL.

IT companies don’t sell anymore, they rent software to you. They’ll bring the same dumb mentality to large capital purchases, I’m sure. Along with “it doesn’t need to be done right, we’ll just release daily patches to our shoddy work”.

Hence, why even GM, Ford, Toyota, VW.... all are cutting costs and investing in vehicles which will provide taxi services. A GM analysis was leaked a little over year ago where they expect the lifetime revenue of a car currently is $30K while in the future providing rides on a transactional basis they expect around $100K in revenue.

Tim

Hence, why even GM, Ford, Toyota, VW.... all are cutting costs and investing in vehicles which will provide taxi services. A GM analysis was leaked a little over year ago where they expect the lifetime revenue of a car currently is $30K while in the future providing rides on a transactional basis they expect around $100K in revenue.

That model works pretty well as long as the companies who make their drivers eat the vehicle depreciation costs of the fleet, get to keep doing that.

People driving for Uber and Lyft rarely do the cost analysis of the extra depreciation on their vehicle on a per mile basis.

If they did, they’d want to drive a fleet provided Crown Vic. LOL.

Manuals are far more effective for lower power vehicles than automatics. What’s fun and springy with a manual is a dog with an automatic. But as engines get more powerful that distinction fades. And I genuinely doubt many could competently handle that level of power with a manual. I’ve driven little else, and unlike Ted I drive a mid-engine sports car, and have for many years.

I think the thesis of this thread is profoundly stupid. A Corvette will do everything a European sports car will do for a fourth the price. And made by an American company in America by Americans. I would proudly drive one had I the coin. If Ted doesn’t like that it’s his problem. I doubt GM will want for customers to purchase its super car.

Manuals are far more effective for lower power vehicles than automatics. What’s fun and springy with a manual is a dog with an automatic.

That really has more to do with type of automatic and programming these days. Any underpowered car could be programmed to feel “springy” if the manufacturer could afford to put the type of auto that’s going into the corvette into a sub-compact.

Mainly they don’t think soccer moms would like how it drove when hauling groceries and the kids, plus a slushbox is way cheaper and soccer mom won’t pay for the expensive sequential auto.

The tiny market fragment that wants to drive the econo-box will just order their Hyundai with a cheap manual.

And nobody wants to actually DRIVE a bubble shaped fake SUV which are the hottest growth segment.

The CVTs are even worse. Ugh. Programmed to make 1 more MPG so the fleet average goes up to keep gub’mint happy. Then they blow out or are programmed to save themselves in the Subarus when you take them off road, completely destroying the best AWD system out there.

LOL. Garbage transmissions and programming for people who actually want slushy garbage.

The Corvette’s auto will be plenty of fun. You just won’t be driving it. Like I originally said, is their market drivers or people who want max performance on a track? Sales numbers will tell.

But Chevy/GMC numbers are split, which is dumb. Same truck, different badge.
Not sure if this has changed, but I’ve often heard that the driveline is a better spec on the GMC.

Not sure if this has changed, but I’ve often heard that the driveline is a better spec on the GMC.

Well the engines and transmissions are the same, so all that’s left really is the driveshaft and differentials... and I don’t believe they’re different part numbers between my GMC Yukon and a Chevy Tahoe. And mine is quite old, being an ‘04, so if there were differences, they were a long long time ago.

But one could order the 2500 version of the Chevy stuff clear back into 90s Suburbans and such also, and I don’t think heavy duty was automatic in the GMC brand back then either.

The trim levels were always different. The “SLT” was the highest in the GMC stuff but you could up option that to almost match stuff like the Escalade. Someone up optioned mine to have everything available.

The only thing an Escalade has over mine in that ‘04 year is the venerable and often broken air ride system. Mine has the Blisteins and I’m still on the factory ones at 175,000 miles. No leaks and no problems.

For the most part, I think the “Professional Grade” marketing surrounding the GMC brand is just that, marketing. Could be wrong, my only experience is my own SUV. Someone either leased it or traded it in at 40,000 miles and I’ve put 135,000 more on it. It needs brakes and it MIGHT be losing a wheel bearing. I haven’t figured out my little squeaky noise yet. But it sounds like a bearing to me.

3-2 downshift is also sloppy and slow now, which is totally normal for that transmission at this mileage. Can be fixed right at first rebuild, and many put a Corvette servo on it — which just barely keeps this on topic. Hahaha.

Maybe I am growing old but I am really liking the 6,8, and 10 speed autos that are coming out. I have a 5-speed M3. I like it more than the same car in an auto for sure, but if I was to buy a new M3 today it would be an auto of some type.

GMC vs Chevy differences deal with branding and market appeal.
This is reflected in the packages.

Otherwise, the differences are in the body panels, a few interior panels and the options available. E.g. Chevy had a chrome bar running board on the suburban and GMC only had the black option. (Roughly 2010 when we were considering getting a new one)

Tim

Sent from my SM-J737T using Tapatalk

GMC vs Chevy differences deal with branding and market appeal.
This is reflected in the packages.

Otherwise, the differences are in the body panels, a few interior panels and the options available. E.g. Chevy had a chrome bar running board on the suburban and GMC only had the black option. (Roughly 2010 when we were considering getting a new one)

Tim

Sent from my SM-J737T using Tapatalk

Yup, for the most part. The distinctions are really more at the higher-level trim packages. SLT/Denali sometimes have items that aren't available in the highest Silverado trim packages. The new GMC Mulipro tailgate is one of them. Eventually that stuff filters across to the Chevy side, but usually takes a year or two. There may be a year or two where powerplant options were limited as well. I know the 6.2L V8 was possibly only available as a Denali-spec at one point, but then was an option for the Silverado High Sierra trim. Still, for the most part, GMC is virtually identical from a mechanical standpoint. The body panels/trim options are where the differences are.

Last edited:
Yup, for the most part. The distinctions are really more at the higher-level trim packages. SLT/Denali sometimes have items that aren't available in the highest Silverado trim packages. The new GMC Mulipro tailgate is one of them. Eventually that stuff filters across to the Chevy side, but usually takes a year or two. There may be a year or two where powerplant options were limited as well. I know the 6.2L V8 was possibly only available as a Denali-spec at one point, but then was an option for the Silverado High Sierra trim. Still, for the most part, GMC is virtually identical from a mechanical standpoint. The body panels/trim options are where the differences are.

Yup. The fancy new stuff can get tried out in low volumes on the GMC Denali trim, for example, to test the market, get the kinks worked out and costs down, prior to sending it out in huge numbers to the rest of the lines. The bulk of the truck is all the same but for some trim pieces, and rolls down the same conveyors in the same plants.

Tooling something up to build 1,000,000 plus a year takes big bucks if it doesn't play out.

Remember the Quadrasteer 4 wheel steering? As I remember, that started out as a ~$7,000 Denali option.

Speaking as a guy who spent a lot of time in those factories.

It always gets back to trucks with us. Ha.

So... money is no object. Do you buy a Corvette?

Or does having a normal upper middle class or slightly higher budget become the real reason GM makes them?

Not the masses, but the professional who long ago gave up fashion, wears New Balance to Costco in Jean shorts, and wants to buy one fast new car just once in their life.

Is that GM’s market for these things? Inquiring minds want to know. (And to keep the thread about fun cars going and not get sucked into our pickup truck black hole, that we all know and love. Hahaha. But I do like my truck(s)!)

Or does having a normal upper middle class or slightly higher budget become the real reason GM makes them?

Not the masses, but the professional who long ago gave up fashion, wears New Balance to Costco in Jean shorts, and wants to buy one fast new car just once in their life.

Is that GM’s market for these things? Inquiring minds want to know. (And to keep the thread about fun cars going and not get sucked into our pickup truck black hole, that we all know and love. Hahaha. But I do like my truck(s)!)

I think when you look at the buyers of these cars when they're new, they're mostly middle aged folks or older who have enough disposable income to be able to afford a toy like that. Whether it's someone who works in a job that pays well enough they can afford it or standard working class people who've saved enough money to be able to afford it. A larger percentage of those people I think are folks who don't care about manual transmissions.

One of my coworkers has a C7 she bought new. She has a managerial type job and is in her late 40's. She loves Corvettes and always has. Hers is a convertible automatic. I've not ridden with her, but those who have tell me she's not afraid to put her right foot down.

One of my coworkers has a C7 she bought new. She has a managerial type job and is in her late 40's. She loves Corvettes and always has. Hers is a convertible automatic. I've not ridden with her, but those who have tell me she's not afraid to put her right foot down.

But does she wear New Balance and Jean shorts?! LOL.

My wife gets away with speeding all the time. I have no such luck.

If money is no object, I'd might still by a C7 Corvette Z06/ZR1, because the performance is still amazing. Of course there are other fantastic toys in the $250K price range (Lambo Huracan Performante, Porsche 911 GT2, McLaren 720S). Then there's crazy-town prices like Ford GT and such $500K+. The thing is, it's very much the world of diminishing returns when you get past the Corvette ZR1. I mean, the thing does 0-60 in 2.8 seconds,10-second qtr miles, top speed 214mph and brakes to a stop from 214mph in 8 seconds . . . all for around $130K. Nothing can touch that under $200K, and it starts costing a TON more (like several hundred thousand) to get appreciably faster. The Corvette still earns its spot in automotive history, mid-engine or not. I'm not the kind of guy, even with unlimited funds, that could drop $500K on a car just for the "prestige" of owning one, so a Corvette with all of its common-man underpinnings suits me just fine. I would love a Ford GT as well, but not for $500K when it's getting outrun by the Corvette at the 'ring.

I'd imagine most of the new Corvette market is guys who are 45+ years old and have decent disposable income for one or two expensive toys. They generally don't make $100K-expensive toy kind of money, so new Lambos/Ferraris/Porsche 911 GT2's aren't really in the mix, but mid-tier Porsches, Mercedes, Nissan GT-R, Viper all fit that profile. A lot of them grew up a Corvette fans, but there's probably an equal amount that know the value of a Corvette's performance, dollar-for-dollar and make the decision based off of that metric. I'd imagine there's relatively few 25-40 yr olds buying Corvettes because most are either not making that kind of disposable income or are not in a place in their lives where the Corvette is a purchase consideration (many starting families).

Different class of car, but they are rumoring that the new Bronco in 2020 might come with a stick. I'd absolutely consider buying it new, and I've never in my life bought a new car. Since I can't buy a new Scout, this would be it, and it would absolutely be with a manual for me.

If money is no object, I'd might still by a C7 Corvette Z06/ZR1, because the performance is still amazing. Of course there are other fantastic toys in the $250K price range (Lambo Huracan Performante, Porsche 911 GT2, McLaren 720S). Then there's crazy-town prices like Ford GT and such $500K+. The thing is, it's very much the world of diminishing returns when you get past the Corvette ZR1. I mean, the thing does 0-60 in 2.8 seconds,10-second qtr miles, top speed 214mph and brakes to a stop from 214mph in 8 seconds . . . all for around $130K. Nothing can touch that under $200K, and it starts costing a TON more (like several hundred thousand) to get appreciably faster. The Corvette still earns its spot in automotive history, mid-engine or not. I'm not the kind of guy, even with unlimited funds, that could drop $500K on a car just for the "prestige" of owning one, so a Corvette with all of its common-man underpinnings suits me just fine. I would love a Ford GT as well, but not for $500K when it's getting outrun by the Corvette at the 'ring.

I'd imagine most of the new Corvette market is guys who are 45+ years old and have decent disposable income for one or two expensive toys. They generally don't make $100K-expensive toy kind of money, so new Lambos/Ferraris/Porsche 911 GT2's aren't really in the mix, but mid-tier Porsches, Mercedes, Nissan GT-R, Viper all fit that profile. A lot of them grew up a Corvette fans, but there's probably an equal amount that know the value of a Corvette's performance, dollar-for-dollar and make the decision based off of that metric. I'd imagine there's relatively few 25-40 yr olds buying Corvettes because most are either not making that kind of disposable income or are not in a place in their lives where the Corvette is a purchase consideration (many starting families).
I'd actually expect the average corvette buyer to be way older than 45. I think that's part of the issue. (I am 45, and not one of my contemporaries in meatspace is into vette's, but our parents are).

EDIT as of 2013, average buyer was 59. That buyer would be 64 today. that feels about like reality https://autoweek.com/article/detroi...ll-stay-old-mans-car-chevys-attempt-get-gen-x

Different class of car, but they are rumoring that the new Bronco in 2020 might come with a stick. I'd absolutely consider buying it new, and I've never in my life bought a new car. Since I can't buy a new Scout, this would be it, and it would absolutely be with a manual for me.

I’ll love to see what they do with that. Laurie wanted a Jeep Wrangler Unlimited until she drove one. I’d imagine Ford would do a better job at a similar thing.

Fortunately I’m mistaken on that one. A few years ago I thought I remembered looking at the BMW website and was unable to find a manual anywhere.

its very limited now. I think just 2 series(including M2) and M3/4. You will probably have to special order it too

I'd actually expect the average corvette buyer to be way older than 45. I think that's part of the issue. (I am 45, and not one of my contemporaries in meatspace is into vette's, but our parents are).

EDIT as of 2013, average buyer was 59. That buyer would be 64 today. that feels about like reality https://autoweek.com/article/detroi...ll-stay-old-mans-car-chevys-attempt-get-gen-x

That’s why I stipulated 45+, lol. I didn’t go digging for actual data, but it wouldn't surprise me if the average age was closer to 60. Again, disposable income and such. On the bright side, guys like me will buy them 2nd-hand here in another decade or so at a bargain and still get some use out of them, since I’m unlikely to ever make the kind of income that allows me to purchase a $130K+ new sports car.

Last edited:
Gotta keep those cows healthy so they turn magically into packages of hamburger at the store! :)
Actually Nate, they're vitamins and supplements for dairy cattle to increase their milk production. Easiest job I've ever had. Run to Denver once or twice a day, then come back and hit the local dairies and unload the goods. The science behind feeding dairy cattle is something to behold. Most of the dairies I deliver to have nutritionists with PhD's on staff that come up with the perfect formulas which in turn optimize a cow's overall milk production. Pretty cool stuff...nevertheless, I get my shifting fix each day driving this truck. ;)

feedtruck.JPG

I think all that you’ve said was true of previous corvettes but this one is perking up the ears of some of the Lamborghini, Ferrari, Porsche guys... I am on the car boards for Porsche, ferrari and Aston martin (Since those are the ones I own - Lambos do nothing for me) and this C8 is generating some interest from people who traditionally do spend $100k+ on their sports cars. Like I said earlier, I am not the traditional corvette demographic (40 yr old with Euro sports car preference) but I’d strongly consider a C8 with a manual. It would be a terrific track car that I wouldn’t worry about if I spin it into a guardrail unlike the 3x more expensive performance equivalent from a Euro company.

Of course, it does need a manual for me to consider it.

Reactions: Ted
I think all that you’ve said was true of previous corvettes but this one is perking up the ears of some of the Lamborghini, Ferrari, Porsche guys... I am on the car boards for Porsche, ferrari and Aston martin (Since those are the ones I own - Lambos do nothing for me) and this C8 is generating some interest from people who traditionally do spend $100k+ on their sports cars. Like I said earlier, I am not the traditional corvette demographic (40 yr old with Euro sports car preference) but I’d strongly consider a C8 with a manual. It would be a terrific track car that I wouldn’t worry about if I spin it into a guardrail unlike the 3x more expensive performance equivalent from a Euro company.

Sounds like people like us need to go for test drives and say “Yeah, this auto sucks as much as I thought it would. Sorry, not buying one until Detroit comes out with a manual.” :)

I can definitely understand that being a possibility (exotic guys giving Corvette a look). I just don’t know that the bread n butter Corvette demographic will feel the same. Time will tell, but I think they could have earned the interest of guys like you by making the C8 a new model without using the Corvette namesake.

Back