Radio Communication script

Camp2

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Osirus
hello, does anyone have a detailed ATC script that can guide me in ATC communications? For example, when to change to tower (depart and approach) and is it based on altitude or just whenever ATC gets to you, when to cancel flight following, initial communication with Approach and what other communications to expect and the typical lingo. I know there are others but I am missing them.

Thank you

Who you are, where you are direction and distance relative to a vor, what you want.

As in:

"Podunk approach, bugsmasher 12345W, 10 miles SW of ABC vor, request flight following..."

big topic, so many scenarios.
So, either the book, or narrow it down in scope.

Read the communication section in the AIM.

Also the pilot/controller glossary for what the words mean.

That will answer most of your questions and it's straight from the FAA.

My CFI wrote this VFR Comms for Dummies and IFR Lexicon:

https://www.westwingsinc.com/topics.htm

Both have been peer edited and approved by ATC workers.

His comm guide is really good

The OP sounds a bit early in his flying. Gardner’s book, AIM or CFI will help. That doesn’t help with who to call in different basic situations. In particular the OP asked about towered operations. Start with ground. You will talk to them until you get to the runway. When you are ready to go, change to tower frequency. That might be the only example I can think of where you change a frequency when talking to a controller without first being told what frequency to change to. After that frequency changes depend on if you departing the airport VFR, IFR or VFR flight following. With the latter two you will be told what frequency to change to. If you departed VFR and outside the delta airspace, tower will sometimes say “frequency change approved” otherwise you don’t need permission to change frequency.

Just remember on any first call. Who you are, where you are, what do you want. Example - Podunk ground, bugsmasher 234 west ramp, taxi west departure, with Zulu.

Somewhat older Radar Contact podcast by Jeff Kanarish is good. He also has a book and workbook that is quite good.

Remember this basic rule: There is no such thing as "proper phraseology;" AIM 4-2-1(b) says to use "whatever words are necessary to get your message across." What instructors push as "proper" is simply good operating practices that have stood the test of time...my book is full of them...but they are only suggestions, not required. Controllers have a book full of phrases that they are REQUIRED to use, and their transmissions are reviewed regularly to make sure that they are following the book; there is no similar guidance for pilots.

Bob Gardner

Do CFIs no longer incorporate communications with ATC into their lesson plans?
((will take your comment a reminder to me to make sure that I do as I work toward my CFI credentials))

My private cfi did flight following with me twice, i tried to listen while at the same time keep the plane on heading +/- 200...which was durn near impossible at the time.

hello, does anyone have a detailed ATC script that can guide me in ATC communications? For example, when to change to tower (depart and approach) and is it based on altitude or just whenever ATC gets to you, when to cancel flight following, initial communication with Approach and what other communications to expect and the typical lingo. I know there are others but I am missing them.

Thank you

My response doesn't cover all that you referred to, but maybe it will address one part.

It seems that we often become more concerned with the style of our communications rather than its essence. In my first iteration of aviation, there was only one acronym (GUMPS), and it didn't even involve communications. Now, in my second iteration, acronyms abound and can be overwhelming. Sometimes there are multiple acronyms for the same set of actions. It doesn't help when 2 or more of the acronyms become conflated with each other. Two years ago, the broker who introduced me to my airplane also gave me an acronym to help with communications ( I was getting "brain-freeze" over simple pattern/position announcements). It is simply a variation of "Who, What, Where, and Why". He gave me PACER. For me, it seems to beat out all of the others: it is an actual word, it is short, it is easy to remember and use.

P: Position
A: Altitude (or area on the airport)
C: Condition (VFR/IFR)
E: Enroute to
R: Request

It serves as a template for what I want to say on my initial call-up and helps to codify my train of thought. Of course, I add the "You/Me" prefix.
[you] [me] [P] [A] [C] [E] [R]
"Podunk Approach, N1234, 20 miles south of Eagle VOR, 4,500 , VFR, Enroute to ______, Request traffic advisories.

I want to add something to what @Ken Whitson shared just above.

While all of what he said is good stuff, there are many times where the controller isn't ready for you to say everything on that last line. He/she could have his attention diverted dealing with another frequency, coordinating something via landline, or any number of reasons where he isn't ready to hear what you wish to say. So he may only get part of it, or none of it.

Additionally, you could be on a very congested frequency and saying the last sentence there in it's entirety "out of the blue" might not yet be the right thing.

In these cases, just saying, "Podunk Approach, N1234, VFR Request", or "...IFR Request", is enough to get the controller's attention that you wish to coordinate with him. Then when he or she is ready, he/she will come back with "N1234, say request". Then you can talk, but do be brief and to the point.

PS. As Bob alluded to by quoting AIM 4-2-1(b), use what's needed to get the message across. If you do not yet know the ATC phraseology, then use plain (plane?) English.

AIM Recommends Who you a calling, who you are, where you are, and your request or type message to follow IF IT IS SHORT.

P: Position
A: Altitude (or area on the airport)
C: Condition (VFR/IFR)
E: Enroute to
R: Request

"Podunk Approach, N1234, 20 miles south of Eagle VOR, 4,500 , VFR, Enroute to ______, Request traffic advisories.

Here is my take on that call based on AIM...stating both "VFR" and "Request Traffic Advisories" is redundant and counter to the "if it is short" intent. If you are IFR you should already be taking to them and would not need flight following and if you need flight following you are inherently VFR...I would hope.

During a TRCAON tour that question came up and asked how they want the initial call...Facility calling, call sign, location, then something short and sweet like "FF request" or "VFR Request"...THEN STOP and wait for controller response. Just because you do not hear traffic does not mean the control is not busy and ready to copy.

If I'm getting FF, I just call with call sign and "request" added. Anyone who has flown VFR in Mugu Approach's airspace knows what it's like to get their head bitten off for cold calling with all the info right away. There's no reason to start rattling everything off on a cold call to a busy controller who won't be ready to take down anything.

I usually skip the "Request" when the frequency is real busy. Just facility I'm calling and tail #. Pretty much implies that A, I want to communicate and B, it's going to take a bit to get it across, so take care of important stuff first, I've got time. Then when they call me back, give them the full speech to get FF. Never have used the "VFR" wording.

I will say that is seems pilots get more worked up about this stuff than controllers.

Ultimately two people are communicating with each other and just need to be on the same page. Yes we talk a different language and some specific things must be read back, but it becomes easy over time.

For example, I did my instrument training with an Air Force guy. I read every word back verbatim on s clearance. For example 123AB is cleared to the ABC airport as filed, climb and maintain 3,000, expect 10 thousand 1-0 minutes after departure, departure frequency 124.0, Squawk 7054. In the beginning I repeated the entire thing. Now my read back is 123AB cleared to ABC, 3,000 1-0 in ten, 134.0, squawk 7054.

Same with an approach. The controller says turn left 350, maintain 3,000 till established, cleared for the ils 14. My readback is 150, 3,000, cleared ils 14.

Basically I read back almost all numbers. I am not telling you to try to shorten it up yet, but that radio communication is about making sure both parties are on the same page. Get flight following anytime you go cross country and even when going to the practice area. It will really improve your comfort level.

Prior to getting my private ticket, my plane was based near me at an uncontrolled field, my instructor lived closer to the Charlie airport. After I was solo I would fly into the Charlie and pick him up and then go practice with him, drop him off and fly home. Great practice and built s lot of confidence

I usually skip the "Request" when the frequency is real busy. Just facility I'm calling and tail #.

Was actually advise by controller on TRACON tour that "Request"...or something simple like that is actually preferred on initial callup vs just tail #...if they are busy, that tells them it is not someone they are already working and have to look for and "request" is a bit of a "stop" rather than waiting a beat to see if there is something else ultimately following. "Request"...or "Flight Following Request" IS the message. While it may seem unnecessary, it actually communicates a lot.

AIM even advises for initial callup "type of message to follow or your request, if it is short"

Was actually advise by controller on TRACON tour that "Request"...or something simple like that is actually preferred on initial callup vs just tail #...if they are busy, that tells them it is not someone they are already working and have to look for and "request" is a bit of a "stop" rather than waiting a beat to see if there is something else ultimately following. "Request"...or "Flight Following Request" IS the message. While it may seem unnecessary, it actually communicates a lot.
I've heard the opposite. Maybe it's a matter of individual controller preference. :dunno:

Only transmission that would be of any benefit over just tail number would be adding “flight following.” “Request” will just have the controller looking at their strip board for you. Most likely in IFR outbounds. Even “VFR request” would have them looking in their outbounds thinking it’s a VFR looking to pick up IFR.

Having said that, the amount of time it takes to scan a strip board takes only a second. If they’re not there, it’s obvious you need to start writing in anticipation of flight following. Just like an initial VFR call inbound to tower, someone is calling out of the blue with just tail number, you tell them to “go ahead” and start writing. It’s not that hard. Personally on approach, I preferred a wake up with just tail number. Odds are it’s gonna be for flight following.

They do, but many miss just teach radio calls and fail to teach the ATC system so the student understands how it works.

AIM even advises for initial callup "type of message to follow or your request, if it is short"

The word request following an N# communicates nothing other than you are not calling to say hello.

The word request following an N# communicates nothing other than you are not calling to say hello.

Agreed...my call up after that Tracon Tour is simply now "...flight following request". My point being that in some pilots ludicrous quest to use as few words as humanly possible they can be actually hindering the process vs making the communication as efficient as possible. There is zero reason to delete words to leave your intentions unknown vs making the other party assume.

While even individual controllers may have their preference, that it what the supervising controller leading the tour down in SoCal TRCACON which is some of the busiest airspace said they want, not just an opinion on the internet.

Last edited:
The controller says turn left 350, maintain 3,000 till established, cleared for the ils 14. My readback is 150, 3,000, cleared ils 14.

And the controller came back and said, "verify left to three five zero - rest of read back correct." ;)

And the controller came back and said, "verify left to three five zero - rest of read back correct." ;)

Turn left to 350 to intercept a final approach course of ~140? Good luck with that 150 degree intercept.

How it goes for me on initial callup:

Approach/center/departure. (whatever is appropriate) Cherokee 0U812 departing JZP VFR request. (and then I stfu)
They will eventually come back with: 0U812 sqawk xxxx, say altitude and destination. My reply is : (facility)0u812 climbing to (altitude) enroute to (destination). They will come back with: Radar contact, Altimeter setting xx.xx, I have you at (location and altitude). I reply:xx.xx, position and altitude correct, 812.

And that's the last I'll hear from them, except for traffic, or hand off, or stay with same controller on different freq.

edit: Some time during that exchange they will tell me to "say equipement" Or something to that effect. The reply (I don't know the ICAO code) is PA28140.

Back