Ever Look at This Instrument?

Looks interesting, especially for older planes (it could nearly pay for itself as two of them are cheaper than a new vac pump plus a new attitude indicator).
There are limitations, but they are very up front about that.

I recall someone bringing this one up a few months ago (I think it was James?)

It’s pretty cool, I ain’t drinking their AOA cool aid based on GPS / airspeed though

I think the g5 is easier to read.

I was thinking of upgrading to fresh whiskey in my compass! Lol

This looks pretty cool attitude indicator is probably the weakest instrument in our plane. That seems cheap for what it includes as well!

I recall someone bringing this one up a few months ago (I think it was James?)

‘Twas me

It’s pretty cool, I ain’t drinking their AOA cool aid based on GPS / airspeed though

That bothered me too, ofcourse the proof of the pudding is it’s taste, I’d love to see some testing on it.

It would pair with my 3308 eHSI quite well

That bothered me too, ofcourse the proof of the pudding is it’s taste, I’d love to see some testing on it.
Ever taste kerosene? lamp oil? any other light Petro-distalate

Anyone know if this company has the capital to be around in 18 months?

I have the AV20 in my grubby paws right now.

It’s a neat little device (AV30). For keeping it looking OE or lower budget, it’s an awesome route to go. It’s more feature rich than a G5. I heard the owner of the company is a former Aspen engineer, which makes a lot of sense to me after looking at it in person.

I have the AV20 in my grubby paws right now.

It’s a neat little device (AV30). For keeping it looking OE or lower budget, it’s an awesome route to go. It’s more feature rich than a G5. I heard the owner of the company is a former Aspen engineer, which makes a lot of sense to me after looking at it in person.

I’m interested in it as it will drive my autopilot (Attitude based). Once it’s released that is...

No clue. It does have pitot static connections.

Thanks. I don’t think they should be calling it an AOA indicator. I get the explanations of how it works and the explanations of when it is not truly giving AOA. How when it is not accurate, that it errs on the ‘safe’ side and you would normally be adding power to arrest descent anyway. I sure wouldn’t fly it like I would a true AOA though. Using it to hold optimum AOA on final to touchdown. But as a stall warning device I guess it has it’s merits

Looks perfect for what I need..... no autopilot so no interconnections to think about and cheaper than the G5's.... and both my AI and DG have issues so will be replaceing them next year,,,,, not being IFR I really do not use them at all but they need to be in the plane to fly. will be following.

GPS, attitude, airspeed, load factor (all things that the instrument can measure) - and a lot of math.
Don't think GPS is involved...
665d6b4b-f0df-40a0-9c6e-e5aa8383ec1c.jpg

It's marked "provisional". If you look at the installation manual, it's for traffic alerts and has not been implemented yet.

Oh. Anyway, all of their documentation on it, the users guide, how it works etc say GPS is used. It's integral to how it calculates to simulate AOA.

Oh. Anyway, all of their documentation on it, the users guide, how it works etc say GPS is used. It's integral to how it calculates to simulate AOA.
Yes, that is indeed very strange that the documentation seems to disagree with itself.

It's marked "provisional". If you look at the installation manual, it's for traffic alerts and has not been implemented yet.

You posted the AV-20 wiring diagram.

Yes, that is indeed very strange that the documentation seems to disagree with itself.

You are looking at two different products. The thread is about the AV-30.

The AV-20 is not approved for a primary attitude indicator replacement, the AV-30 will be. Presumably the AV-30 GPS is used to increase precision of the AHRS, without it, it would not be approved, although this is not certain since approval has not been received yet at all.

Last edited:
You posted the AV-20 wiring diagram.

You are looking at two different products. The thread is about the AV-30.

The AV-20 is not approved for a primary attitude indicator replacement, the AV-30 is. Presumably the AV-30 GPS is used to increase precision of the AHRS, without it, it would not be approved, although this is not certain since approval has not been received yet at all.
Ah, you are correct. Apparently they are using two slightly different methods for AoA for two different products. I also thought that the GPS was only for AHRS, like on the G5.

Back