Tell your congressman to make registration data private

If someone wants your info badly enough, they can get it. That's just the price of the convenience and near infinite wealth of information we have with the internet now. I don't believe any bill that congress can pass will change that.
If you're personally targeted, picked out as a target, and then they go looking for your data, then sure. But having your info percolate up from a bunch of big data sets, being mined for targets? Then there is plenty you can do to obfuscate and minimize your exposure. Like the old joke - "I don't have to outrun the bear, I just have to outrun the other campers".

Congress could have civil penalties for being hacked - other than inside jobs, most hacks result from gross incompetence, just simple negligence, like Walmart and OPM. Make it hurt, big $$$$$, and suddenly their security will improve. . .

Okay, so folks can look up who you are and where you’re going. So again, what do you have to hide if you’re so worried about it.
There are people with malicious intent in the world. Anyone with an ounce of sense should want real-time information about their location kept out of the hands of such people.

Examples:
Companies could use the information for industrial espionage.
Burglars could use the info to find out when your home is unoccupied.
People who are so inclined could use the info for harassment purposes.
Anyone with intent to murder would like to know the whereabouts of their intended victim.
Would-be kidnappers could find the information useful.
Local child-molesters or rapists might want to know when a pilot is not home to protect his wife and children.
And, as already has been mentioned in this thread, anti-aviation types could use the information to help them harass pilots.

Would you be in favor of putting the names, addresses, and license-plate numbers of motor vehicle owners on a publicly-accessible Web site? If so, why would it would be safe to do so? If not, why would aircraft owners deserve less protection than motor vehicle owners?

Like anyone in Congress reall cares if people are writing them to stop something. Those days are gone when they listen to their constituents. Only time they care about us is election time.

Why aren't you posting all your information on those sites? What are YOU hiding. You don't even use your name on here. Why not? What are you hiding?
Ironically, he's also hiding the registration numbers of his airplanes on here! :rofl:

If someone wants your info badly enough, they can get it. That's just the price of the convenience and near infinite wealth of information we have with the internet now. I don't believe any bill that congress can pass will change that.

If that's the case, should we just have a public federal database with everyone's name, address, and car license plate number? Why or why not?

Like anyone in Congress reall cares if people are writing them to stop something. Those days are gone when they listen to their constituents. Only time they care about us is election time.
It depends on how many of their constituents care about a given issue.

"If you have nothing to hide, you have nothing to worry about...."
I might have plenty to hide, from business trips, scouting locations, visiting a potential recruit from a competitor, or an illegitimate child I don't want exposed, or a banking relationship, or a political contact, or. . .

Point is, the FAA has no legitimate reason to expose this data - it's incompetent design, bureacratic arrogance, and implementation by buffoons. They screwed the pooch for no other reason than not giving a rat's ass, and/or myopic vision.

Register the plane to a PO Box that uses a street address.

This, but if you have a unique name they’ll still know it’s you. And LLCs can be used, but this just requires the extra step of looking up LLC information which is also public.
Personally I like my friends and family being able to look up my location on line.
If losers with no lives want to spend their time tracking strangers flights, I really don’t care.

Tom

I suppose there are competition things. Like why did company X's private jet visit X airfield? Maybe some competitor with more cash is trying to hurt them or buy some property / make a move first?

Or maybe they just stopped so the CEO cold visit his mother.

I blocked my ADS-B access using the FAAs website and I use a SPOT tracker. The people who have a legitimate reason to track me can easily do so and those who have no business knowing when I’m out of town don’t have easy access to it.

For those who “have nothing to hide” please feel free to post your name and address on here every time you go on vacation. I don’t have anything to “hide” but then I also don’t think where and when I’m traveling is anyone else’s business.
Sure you have things to hide. If you didn’t, you’d put all your money in cash on the front porch where you could find it easily.

There are far more legitimate reasons to hide things than there are criminal reasons.

Even if it’s blocked at the source?
adsbexchange is a network of adsb receivers run by individuals who just want to spy on other people. They get the signal directly from your transponder and they bypass the FAA.

Even if it’s blocked at the source?
The only way to block it at the source it to turn off your ADS-B Out. The only ones now allowed to do that are the "public service" and formation flight aircraft.

They have receivers around the world that collect ADS-B data directly from aircraft and provides it unfiltered back to the community. Drop by and take a gander of their website. I'll leave to you to connect the dots to NPRM FAA–2019–0562.

This, but if you have a unique name they’ll still know it’s you. And LLCs can be used, but this just requires the extra step of looking up LLC information which is also public.
Personally I like my friends and family being able to look up my location on line.
If losers with no lives want to spend their time tracking strangers flights, I really don’t care.

Tom

Fully agree LLC's provide more anonymity. In California privately owned planes more than 35 years old are property tax exempt. This is the primary driver for me using a non-residential address without an LLC.

-David

There are many more critical issues I want my congresscritters to deal with than hiding my N number. Anything more I write will get me banned.

Register the plane to “Stop Being Nosy LLC, DBA Go Away” and have notices sent to a local PO Box. Problem solved.
In Michigan, an LLC is required to have a physical address. Not sure about other states.

...Personally I like my friends and family being able to look up my location on line.
If losers with no lives want to spend their time tracking strangers flights, I really don’t care....
I don't have any particular reason to expect that this will be a problem for me (especially since I rent), but I don't base my opinions about government policies solely on how they will affect me personally.

Last edited:
No taking a flight without your wife knowing. That’s reason enough right there to oppose this. Lol

For those of the "if you don't have anything to hide" school.... 70% of the population has committed imprisionable crimes in their recent past... And some estimates say many professional folks commit 3 felonies a day.

And that is why we have the 4h amendment and others...

FAA Level • Block at this level if you do not need to track your aircraft.
For a higher level of security, operators may choose to block their aircraft flight data at the FAA Level which will remove all aircraft flight data before it is transmitted to the ASDI vendors. This means the information never reaches any ASDI vendor and is not incorporated into their system. Blocking at this level will prevent you from tracking your blocked tail number.

All blocking requests must include the following:

• Aircraft owner/operator name and address.
  • Email address the FAA can use to communicate with the aircraft owner/operator regarding the blocking request.
  • Call Sign or Tail Number to be blocked.
  • Blocking level desired: ASDI Vendor Level.
Submit the required information to FAA by email to: ASDIBlock@faa.gov

or send by regular mail to:

FAA ASDI Blocking Request
ATO System Operations Services
AJR-0
Wilbur Wright Building, Room 3E1500
600 Independence Avenue SW
Washington, DC 20597

adsbexchange isn't one of the vendors. They are independent and still display the information. When they don't work with the feds they don't adhere to the requests. They aren't part of the information Network that the FAA uses to broadcast adsb.

Not sure why that's hard to follow.

adsbexchange is a network of adsb receivers run by individuals who just want to spy on other people. They get the signal directly from your transponder and they bypass the FAA.

So one needs to enable anonymous mode?

I’m always curious what it is that people have to hide.

So do you hide your license plate? I’m just curious how you hide your identity when you’re driving. I have nothing to hide, but that’s just me.

You posted a picture of your 140 a while back on a thread.

I took me minutes to find your name and address. Another minute to find your Mooney. If your planes are equipped, I could now track them with what info I have.

Do you feel creeped out yet? Want me to start a thread that updates every time you've flown? Do you think it is appropriate for a guy in Virginia with which you have never conversed to have all that info?

This is what normal people don't want to happen.

I'll go look for you on Facebook now. :D

*I would never, that would be inappropriate.

I don’t think it is hard to follow. Your ADS-B out transmits a signal. Anyone with a receiver can listen to and decode your signal. There is a formal network that receives data from the FAA (who also receives and tracks your plane) and you can opt out of having this publicly available. This does not prevent your ADS-B out function from transmitting nor does it prevent someone other than the FAA from receiving. This has all been said before. Who is having a hard time following it?

Because that private network still publishes the information. Blocking it with the FAA doesnt prevent them from running their own website with real time tracking data.

People keep saying you can block it, but it's not going to do anything to keep it from being displayed on all the privately run sites. Unless there is a cease and desist or injunction issued.

There are many more critical issues I want my congresscritters to deal with than hiding my N number. Anything more I write will get me banned.
Yep, concur, there are more important things - this one irks because it was just incompetence and arrogance - there isn't a legit tech reason it had to be implemented in such a slovenly fashion.

And not looking to hide my N number; it's my movements, being tracked by wackadoos, bad actors, and snoops, with the info supplied a Fed imposed system that adds next to nothing in value to GA, and makes the data open without regard to consequences.

So one needs to enable anonymous mode?

978 UAT anonymous mode is not available if a discrete 4096 code is required (IFR flight plan or VFR flight following for example.) Also, as stated earlier, it is not available in a 1090 ES transponder.

Okay, so folks can look up who you are and where you’re going. So again, what do you have to hide if you’re so worried about it.

Dude, really? Suppose someone cuts you off in traffic and you flip them off then take the next exit. With ADSB and public registration he can meet you at your house.

I fly acro. Legally. But I still get complaints from a lot of nutjobs. Some of whom have published private info about owners and attempted to “dox” them. Just google Mile Hi Skydiving, Kim Gibbs, Tom Zweck, and freerangelongmont.

Right to privacy is an American thing. Apathy is not.

I don’t think there’s anyway to get owner address from a license plate number. Show me how.

Dude, really? Suppose someone cuts you off in traffic and you flip them off then take the next exit. With ADSB and public registration he can meet you at your house.

Right to privacy is an American thing. Apathy is not.
A right to privacy doesn’t exist. Besides I like visitors. Perhaps you were metaphoring but most people don’t have access to LP data.

The internet has emboldened people that would have otherwise benefitted from a smack in the mouth.

Reminds me of a time where a guy called me on the Boulder Airport frequency and told me I broke the laws of Boulder by flying too low. Something about Boulder County that causes a-holes to cluster. A lot of whiney people who move next to airports in Colorado, probably everywhere.

That being said, I don’t understand why the publish our personal information on the Airmen Database but I take precautions to ensure that if somebody wants to visit they are recorded. Our plane is registered under an LLC but you only have to go to the Sec of State website to see our names and addresses listed.

I don’t think there’s anyway to get owner address from a license plate number. Show me how.

I could show you how but then you have to join my cult. Free drinks.

The only way to block it at the source it to turn off your ADS-B Out. The only ones now allowed to do that are the "public service" and formation flight aircraft.

They have receivers around the world that collect ADS-B data directly from aircraft and provides it unfiltered back to the community. Drop by and take a gander of their website. I'll leave to you to connect the dots to NPRM FAA–2019–0562.

So, looking at that NPRM, does it also allow these aircraft to turn off their Mode S/Mode C transponders as well, or just ADS-B? It wasn’t clear to me.

My credit card company was aware of every car I owned and used that to verify my identity once. I don’t finance, paid in cash. How else would they know?

Seriously there are websites where for a small fee you can get more than you’d imagine is available on anyone.

My credit card company was aware of every car I owned and used that to verify my identity once. I don’t finance, paid in cash. How else would they know?

Seriously there are websites where for a small fee you can get more than you’d imagine is available on anyone.
Real Time? Can those websites tell you where I am at any given time? There's a difference between finding out someone lived somewhere 2 years ago vs they are at Applebees getting half off appetizers at this very minute.

Apples vs elephants.

Old info?
https://www.fly.faa.gov/ASDI/asdi.html

It gives a different email address than plasticcigar's post

Question: Who may request to block an aircraft from the ASDI data feeds?
Answer—
Any aircraft owner or operator may request blocking of their aircraft's identification number from any display of the FAA's ASDI data that is made available to the public with the exception of data made available to a Government agency, for the noncommercial flights of that owner or operator.

Back