KLIC to KTEX in Beechcraft Musketeer

DustyRah

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Dusty Rah
I am considering doing KLIC (Limon Municipal 5374 ft) to KTEX (Telluride, CO 9070 ft) in Beechcraft Musketeer and am concerned about the altitude and surrounding peaks. Is it normal for a low power single prop to make such a trip?

Throwing this into foreflight does not give any altitude warnings or anything. Does foreflight have the ability to route around high peaks?

Thanks for your feedback.

How heavily will you be loaded? Lighter is better.

Look at your POH for performance charts to see if it's even possible. Assume you need some margin of extra performance to make up for: 1) less than factory perfect aircraft, 2) less than factory test pilot level skills, 3) things happen.

Don't go flying in the mountains without some level of mountain flying training. (How to avoid blind canyons, rising terrain that you can't climb fast enough to get over, etc.) Plan for cooler air (season and/or time of day).

My suspicion is it's possible under the right circumstances. Whether you can create those circumstances with your plane, skill & mission is a big part of being PIC.

There are many on here with experience to help.
John

What is your climb rate at 12,000? When I took off from there in mid summer morning, the DA was 11,600. If you are OK following the canyon west of the airport both in and out, you can climb relatively slowly. If you have borderline performance, I would not do it.

Back