Oshkosh 2019 Pic Thread

Can anyone ID this?
We heard it go by, but no one could figure out mainly, the engine but also the a/c model:

View attachment 76288

Looks like a Murphy Moose.

Your picture cut off the front end, so no idea about the engine. A bunch were built with the Russian Vedenyev M14P 360 hp 9-cyl radial. I believe that was the engine the airframe was designed around. There's also a few turbine installations out there.

Last edited:
That's pretty good. Tuesday for me was 18370/6.1. Wed was spent taking more advantage of the trams and was 17514/5.8 over approx 12 hrs.

I was only there for a day trip, so a lot of running around. Until now I didn’t think “I’ve got blisters on my blisters” was a real thing. :)

Working the USCG Auxiliary radio at Pioneer Marina.

Is there anything interesting (unusual) there this year other than the XP-82? I haven't seen many reports yet

The F-35 attended and put on a display daily. The only (I think) Fairy Firefly that is currently in flying condition was there, as was one of two (I believe) US based DeHavilland Mosquitoes. The Mosquito, Firefly, and a Spitfire did a formation fly-by on Thursday. I never thought I'd see a fly-by where a Spitfire wasn't the star of the show, but it was third banana in that one.

Oh, and a C-5 set itself on fire upon landing on Thursday evening. Brake fire, I assume.

The F-35 attended and put on a display daily. The only (I think) Fairy Firefly that is currently in flying condition was there, as was one of two (I believe) US based DeHavilland Mosquitoes. The Mosquito, Firefly, and a Spitfire did a formation fly-by on Thursday. I never thought I'd see a fly-by where a Spitfire wasn't the star of the show, but it was third banana in that one...

:needpics:

I believe there are currently only two airworthy de Havilland Mosquitos. One is based at the Military Aviation Museum in Virginia Beach (restored in New Zealand and likely the one you saw flying at OSH) and the other was restored in Victoria, British Columbia and is now in the private collection of Bob Jens in Vancouver, Canada. It is no longer flown. I was fortunate enough to see its last public demonstration flight in 2015, piloted by Steve Hinton (father of the current generation air racer).

The EAA has a non-flying Mosquito on loan from the Kermit Weeks collection.

Crummy picture, but this happened right in front of me this morning as we were trying to leave. We had just crossed P2 (show center) in the conga line of planes trying to leave at about 0900 taking off 18R. I just happened to look up in time to see a v-tail Bo in a hard left descending turn pointed almost straight at me. I reached over and hit my son to look just as it slammed into the deck left wing down, it then bounced up into the air about 50 feet or so, still in a left turn, but now headed down 18R, at which point I could also see its left main swinging loosely. It landed another 500’ or so down the runway and slid to a stop another 1500’ or so down. I’m guessing he was aiming for the blue dot, but realizing he had overshot it (length wise, as well as the rwy) tried to force it down and broke the left main in the process, before bellying it in further down the runway. Pretty crazy to watch and had to have been scary to be on board. Haven’t heard if there were any injuries. Surely someone got some video of it and it’ll turn up.

Attachments

• 29B857CB-F133-4544-A0F8-C91656512803.jpeg
    29B857CB-F133-4544-A0F8-C91656512803.jpeg
    92 KB · Views: 126
  • 437101F4-489E-40DE-BE69-552338170AA3.jpeg
    437101F4-489E-40DE-BE69-552338170AA3.jpeg
    83.3 KB · Views: 119
Last edited:
Crummy picture, but this happened right in front of me this morning as we were trying to leave. We had just crossed P2 (show center) in the conga line of planes trying to leave at about 0900 taking off 18R. I just happened to look up in time to see a v-tail Bo in a hard left descending turn pointed almost straight at me. I reached over and hit my son to look just as it slammed into the deck left wing down, it then bounced up into the air about 50 feet or so, still in a left turn, but now headed down 18R, at which point I could also see its left main swinging loosely. It landed another 500’ or so down the runway and slid to a stop another 1500’ or so down. I’m guessing he was aiming for the blue dot, but realizing he had overshot it (length wise, as well as the rwy) tried to force it down and broke the left main in the process, before bellying it in further down the runway. Pretty crazy to watch and had to have been scary to be on board. Haven’t heard if there were any injuries. Surely someone got some video of it and it’ll turn up.

Wow. Was there a lot of inbound at the time? Pressure of following traffic on the pilot? So what happened to your takeoff plans? They have to move you to 18L?

Ouch. I hope everyone is OK.

Wow. Was there a lot of inbound at the time? Pressure of following traffic on the pilot? So what happened to your takeoff plans? They have to move you to 18L?

It wasn’t super busy with arrivals at that time, at least on 18R. It was very busy with departures though with an occasional arrival thrown in. Not sure why they were landing planes on 18R with us departing on it (they were also landing 27), but he was not even close to being stabilized and just tried to force the plane down off a really, really bad approach turn. I can understand the pressure he must have felt, right in front of show center, no one wants to be the guy that has to go around in front of EVERYONE, but it just wasn’t going to work out for him any other way, as best as I could tell. And that broken main...it was just flopping in and out of the wheel-well as he passed over our wing, you just knew what was coming next. Feels sick in my stomach thinking about it, lol.

At first they said to shutdown as the runway would be closed until they got it cleared. Only a couple shutdown as far as I could tell. Then, after about 5 minutes or so, they had us back taxi to A2 (I think it’s inline with P2) to take off 18L. They were very efficient about adjusting quickly to the other runway.

are the ruddervators gone from the wreck already?
bush-shoe-throw-03.gif

....too soon?:D

Oshkosh has a well deserved reputation for meticulous restorations and reasonably authentic historical re-creations...

...Did you see anybody, kicking and screaming, getting dragged off the United plane?
Just askin'

That made me laugh

Here you go. Looks like wake turbulence to me.

Yep, that’s the one. He just dropped all the way in in the turn with zero flare that I could see. He hit right next to me and you don’t see the gear completely fold at the end, but you can see that left main flopping once he bounces off the runway.

Yep, that’s the one. He just dropped all the way in in the turn with zero flare that I could see. He hit right next to me and you don’t see the gear completely fold at the end, but you can see that left main flopping once he bounces off the runway.
Yep, I was in the 195 group in vintage. They picked it up with a big forklift

Yeah that plane just dropped right out of the air. Certainly could be wake turbulence- tonight with level wings. Complicated by that excessive bank angle. Almost looks like wing stalled a hair

Man, hope he wore his brown pants... Or brought some spares.

Jokes aside, I think he did a fine job keeping it straight after that fall. Good job.

Was that because of spacing, was he too close or where ATC put him?

Did anyone see that silly looking "flying car" thing?

Certainly could be wake turbulence- tonight with level wings. Complicated by that excessive bank angle. Almost looks like wing stalled a hair

Probably a pilot out of his element. Airplane fairly heavy, turning a tight base trying to spot land. He may just have flown it into the ground trying to land short. Based on how the airplane bounced and then continued to fly, I doubt he was excessively slow in the turn. As far as wake turbulence, the wake turbulence from a Trimotor should be pretty mild with its low wing loading.

A cool lakeside bar we stumbled into (and out of) south end of town; such friendly fun-loving folks!
It says, “Southside Ice Yacht Club” apparently they sail on the ice but those boats were all put up - 10 or so water-going vessels docked that day.

87ABE693-5353-47F3-8AC6-DF76F0E17E91.jpeg

Back