Paper or wire mesh?

AggieMike88

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
The original "I don't know it all" of aviation.
Opinions on coffee maker filter.... Paper or the gold wire mesh?

<obligatory> Asking for a friend </obligatory>

I'm a gold wire mesh kinda guy, but in the last few years the coffee maker has been sitting in a kitchen cabinet in favor of the French Press.

I use both, seriously; I put a paper filter inside of the mesh filter.

Paper. IMO, the wire lets too much sludge through.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

I'm a gold wire mesh kinda guy, but in the last few years the coffee maker has been sitting in a kitchen cabinet in favor of the French Press.
I'm curious... I know French press done right is good coffee... so how does the coffee from the galley of the airliner you fly compare?

Throw out the coffee maker, put the paper filters in the bathroom in case there is no TP and drink more water....:lol::lol:

I'm curious... I know French press done right is good coffee... so how does the coffee from the galley of the airliner you fly compare?

The stuff we serve on the airplanes is terrible. I'll drink it, but after years and years of drinking some pretty questionable FBO coffee - I'll drink damned near anything. ;)

I like our French press, but the quality is directly tied to what we put in it. I buy beans from a local joint and grind them right before using the press. That seems to provide the best cup, but like I said I'm no connoisseur. For me the main advantage of the press is that it limits how much I drink - I'll drink the whole damned pot if I use the coffee maker!

Throw out the coffee maker, put the paper filters in the bathroom in case there is no TP and drink more water....:lol::lol:

Throw out the low wings, put the Rotaxs back in the snow machines in case there’s no Summer, and burn more mogas in your O-200. Leave me coffee the hell alone. ;)

I have a Saeco super automatic at home, but I have used the french press backpacking and it does a decent job. Drip with a paper filter is easier to clean up (except you have to pack it out, backpacking) and the taste is pretty comparable, as long as you use good beans and good water.

The gold filter allows oils topass through. Paper, not so much. French Press for the win on a standard cup. I have a Breville 800XP for the heavy pours.

Paper filters do a much better job... but the gold mesh sure is nice to have around when you run out of paper filters...

For backpacking or even airport camping, only paper. If you have limited clean water, it's much easier to carry out / bury / burn a paper filter than it is to rinse all the grit out of a mesh filter.

Gold wire mesh? Never even heard of such a thing. Is that in case the coffee maker gets struck by lightning?

Paper filters do a much better job... but the gold mesh sure is nice to have around when you run out of paper filters...
Kinda agreeing with you.... New machine has the mesh, but it's inconvenient to clean after each brewing... Where used paper is just toss in compost bin.

We have to use the mesh in California. Something about paper filters killing baby seals...

Unbleached paper filters > french press > bleached paper filters > gold mesh > stainless steel mesh in my experience. You can make great coffee with any of those methods, assuming good freshly ground beans and water at the right temperature, but truly exceptional coffee has been either unbleached paper or French press in my experience. The Aerobie Press gets honorable mention, and frequently goes in our travel kit along w/ a Java Presse hand grinder.

For backpacking or even airport camping, only paper. If you have limited clean water, it's much easier to carry out / bury / burn a paper filter than it is to rinse all the grit out of a mesh filter.

You take a coffee maker backpacking??

We have to use the mesh in California. Something about paper filters killing baby seals...

You joke, but this is pretty much why I use the mesh, just one less single-use thing I have to send to the landfill. I know it's ridiculous for such a small impact, it's only paper, but it's how I try to live.

I even buy the foil wrapped coffee rather than the grounds in the plastic jug even though it's more expensive per pound.

Anyone that uses K-cup needs to be shot into space to search for a new planet to ruin.

Back