Well known MEIs

NealRomeoGolf

En-Route
PoA Supporter
Display Name

Display name:
NRG
Some CFIs are known more than others. I did my tailwheel training with Tim Preston. He is well known and does nothing but tailwheel. Are there any Multi instructors like that? When I do my twin training in the future I want something more in depth than checking boxes like some CFIs seem to do.

I’d throw Doug Rozendaal’s name out there for consideration...here’s a bit of him doing multiengine training.

The most well known are probably John and Martha.

@Ted DuPuis doesn’t brag here, but he has a solid reputation as a good MEI. Ask around. There’s a few folks here who’ve trained with him.

Dan Gryder also is a well known name lately. He’s been on the warpath to teach that loss of engine power in singles means the nose has to come down, and we’re losing too many pilots to takeoff accidents with LOTOT as he calls it, or Loss of Thust on Takeoff.

He also teaches multi In his DC-3 as well as some other multi stuff in aircraft he has access to.

Sometimes he’s a controversial pain in the ass, but like a lot of folks who make people think, he’s going to put it out there and demand folks refute it when he sees a pattern developing in our accident stats and a way to fix it.

Even if someone didn’t do a full multi eating with him, I bet a day or two would be mighty eye opening for many. He’s going to beat loss of thrust on takeoff immediate responses into your head. And with some twins, that’s not a bad thing.

Like he said after the recent Addison King Air accident... the pilots had six seconds to fix the problem and were dead six seconds after that when it was too late. They weren’t mentally prepared for the loss of an engine after rotation and barely airborne.

You’ve GOT to get the nose down to keep the airspeed and you’ve got to pull the power BACK on the good engine if you’re flirting with Vmc roll over. And it’s the last thing your hands and brain want to do. And it has to be practiced and almost instinctual.

Loss of directional control, nose down, pull back power. That fast. Six seconds. Expected to happen on every takeoff.

I’d love to see his teaching technique on this and work for a day or two with him.

Some CFIs are known more than others. I did my tailwheel training with Tim Preston. He is well known and does nothing but tailwheel. Are there any Multi instructors like that? When I do my twin training in the future I want something more in depth than checking boxes like some CFIs seem to do.

If you going to do multi training in a 200hp per side counter rotating propeller aircraft model, who cares.

Do your multi in a plane with 250- 300 HP a side and a good instructor.

Unless you're going to buy a twin or fly one frequently, your "in depth" training is going to be wasted since you aren't going to be putting it to use regularly. It also sort of sounds like you are saying all MEI's are crap unless they are well known - which generally requires a bit of self promotion. Might be some amazing MEI's that aren't very well known, maybe even better than the well known instructors. I know a couple on the board that aren't self promoters, but would put you through the ringer.

But if you just want well known, this guy is pretty good at promoting himself: http://www.alexanderwolfcorp.com/flight-training
(gotta bring your own twin though)

@Ted DuPuis doesn’t brag here, but he has a solid reputation as a good MEI. Ask around. There’s a few folks here who’ve trained with him.

I appreciate the recommendation, Nate. :)

He's busy building sports cars and runways. ;) But I am game if he is and the Cobra will be done by the time I would be ready anyway.

The biggest problem at the moment is the fact that I don't have access to an aircraft to train in. The MU-2 isn't just a bad idea for a first twin, it's actually not legal to use as one per the SFAR/14 CFR Part 91 Subpart N. If I had the Aztec or 310 around still it'd be a different story.

However I've also told my wife that I'm not going to take on side flying gigs for the foreseeable future, that whole work-life balance thing. And I'm trying to finish the Cobra, get my bulldozer restored(ish), build a runway, at some point we have to build a hangar too (although I'm mostly farming that one out), house projects, thinking about a boat... as you said I'm kinda busy. :)

What I always tell folks is go ahead and ask and I always appreciate it, but for now I'm pretty much sticking to coaching and helping people buy airplanes remotely.

Unless you're going to buy a twin or fly one frequently, your "in depth" training is going to be wasted since you aren't going to be putting it to use regularly. It also sort of sounds like you are saying all MEI's are crap unless they are well known - which generally requires a bit of self promotion. Might be some amazing MEI's that aren't very well known, maybe even better than the well known instructors. I know a couple on the board that aren't self promoters, but would put you through the ringer.

Most pilot school MEIs ARE crap. They don't have enough hours in twins to impart any useful knowledge. That works for getting the rating but not for quality instruction.

That said, I agree with the general principle that if you want the rating but won't be flying much, just get the rating. Then get good training in the actual plane you're going to fly, whatever that may be. Problem is depending on what Neal does afterwards (if he goes pro specifically) he may not get that good fundamental training.

Most pilot school instructors ARE crap. They don't have enough hours in the real world to impart any useful knowledge. That works for getting the rating but not for quality instruction.

Fixed that for you. I've found the independent guys who aren't just "waiting to get to 1500 hours" are ones to go with, whether well known or not. My first question of ANY instructor would be "are you trying to get a job with the airlines?" IF they say yes, you say no.

Fixed that for you. I've found the independent guys who aren't just "waiting to get to 1500 hours" are ones to go with, whether well known or not. My first question of ANY instructor would be "are you trying to get a job with the airlines?" IF they say yes, you say no.

Provided you can find one with a plane. There are not a large number of schools with MEs, let alone independents.

But if you just want well known, this guy is pretty good at promoting himself: http://www.alexanderwolfcorp.com/flight-training
(gotta bring your own twin though)

You got a chuckle out of me @EdFred

Didn't mean to imply that you have to be well known to be good. @MauleSkinner 's example was perfectly what I was looking for. A guy that has been around and is going to grill you until you have it right. Sure, it is a perishable skill and I am still working out what it will mean for me in the future. I took tailwheel training from Tim Preston because the guy has years and years of experience to teach you (and he had a Stearman for me to fly). I may never fly tailwheel again in my life, but the training was well worth it to me. I don't believe that in-depth training is ever wasted when it comes to flying. The only way it would be wasted is if I couldn't take it and apply it to other aspects of my flying. That would be my own fault since I think many of this stuff crosses airframe types, engine count and wheel positions.

I'm not saying it's absolutely worthless, but it's been 9 years since I got my multi, and if I was going to be flying a twin, I would probably really want to go through the training for the rating again. I mean, I yeah I remember to feather, kill, bank, and rudder, but I'd really want to go through it all again since I haven't used it much since.

Same here. About 50 hours in that aircraft and even flying THAT aircraft I’d want a solid checkout and butt chewings as necessary to get back up to speed.

Back