Brain hurts....dewpoint temp calculation

flhrci

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
David
I just tried to Google-Fu how the dewpoint temperature is calculated and I my brain hurts from the complicated formulas. It is worse than the triangle conversation here that I witnessed yesterday.

If any one has a simple answer to the question or wants to discuss triangles more, please feel free.

David

And what’s sad, is that what you likely found is the common formula for approximating the dew point around common temperatures. If you need to figure out dew points in uncommon situations, the common approximation doesn’t work, and it gets even worse. At one point I even had HVAC engineers asking if the software I supported went beyond the common approximation, because he had a real life situation outside the range of the common approximation.

Is there a reason to know how the temp/dew point spread is calculated? I don’t have one.

You need to save room in your mind for the important stuff.

Is there a reason to know how the temp/dew point spread is calculated? I don’t have one.

You need to save room in your mind for the important stuff.
Nope. I was just curious because the local weather guesser has been over using the term this week. Got me thinking.

Just believe it when you see it..... no need to understand the derivation.

I just tried to Google-Fu how the dewpoint temperature is calculated and I my brain hurts from the complicated formulas. It is worse than the triangle conversation here that I witnessed yesterday.

If any one has a simple answer to the question or wants to discuss triangles more, please feel free.

David

The formulas won't give you any insight unless you dig into the physics behind it. For a pilot, there is no reason to do it anyway. Use one of the many online apps to do it. https://www.omnicalculator.com/physics/dew-point

David

It's calculated by sending twenty bucks to these guys

It's calculated by sending twenty bucks to these guys

Would those little cotton pads work better if they were equilateral triangles, instead of circular?
Just askin'

Here's one for @flhrci

Weight: 2,150 lbs
Speed: 112 kts steady
Course: 020 degrees
Latitude: 26 degrees

Calculate the Coriolis drift on crossing 27 degrees

Here's one for @flhrci

Weight: 2,150 lbs
Speed: 112 kts steady
Course: 020 degrees
Latitude: 26 degrees

Calculate the Coriolis drift on crossing 27 degrees
You’d be passing 27 degrees for approximately .00000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000001 seconds, so the drift would be negligible. :D

Back