FL270 in the Sling Tsi

That's some awesome performance but I'm not a fan of the plane's general appearance or styling.

I'm not sure I'd necessarily say it got up there "easily". That was a slow climb rate and took a long time to do. However the fact that it got up there at all is impressive. Good deal, that'll generate some interest for them at Osh I'm sure.

I'm not sure I'd necessarily say it got up there "easily". That was a slow climb rate and took a long time to do. However the fact that it got up there at all is impressive. Good deal, that'll generate some interest for them at Osh I'm sure.
Anything over 18 is kinda just to prove a point I would think.

Did they actually hit 270? I saw 210 but that was it.

I thought the Sling was badass until I saw one in person at Livermore. They need to do something with the hideous wheel pants setup.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

So what is wrong with their wheel pants ?

I thought the plane looked awesome up close and more importantly flew great , I got very close to buying the 2 seater version in 2017 but back then there only about 30 or so in the country so I decided to go with something a bit more common.

Can someone please tell Van's, Diamond and Sling to stop with the stupid between the legs stick?

Anything over 18 is kinda just to prove a point I would think.

I agree. From a practical perspective there is little reason to fly that thing up there. But it’s cool to say you did it.

Uncomfortable? I rest my forearm on my thigh and use my wrist to fly. It also provides an unobstructed view of the panel.

Panels are built around the control set up anyway. Ingress and egress are much easier without center sticks and resting on a thigh isn't necessarily a benefit.

Speaking of absurdly high climbs in GA piston planes, wasn't there a Cessna 310 conversion that got some absurd service ceiling? I want to say 36,000 feet with one of the Riley conversions

Admittedly, that's pretty bad ass.. and you may be able to pick up some absurd tailwinds

But also... why?!

Stunt aside, I'd really start to give a hairy eyeball to the robustness of the life support equipment above FL180 in an unpressurized cabin, let alone hanging up there for hours butting up against RVSM altitudes. That's just playing with fire for no significant performance benefit than doing the trip at 15k and staying on the kiddie pool side of the time of useful consciousness. To each their own.

Good performance though. We need more 4-seater offerings in EAB. We're getting crushed out here in certified land so the more options the better.

robustness of the life support equipment
I thought about this too... it's weird being up high... even at a more benign altitude like 17,000 ft it's on your mind that your life is now depending on yet one more piece of fallible equipment

**I assume for this trip and the publicity it would have received had it not gone well they were checking O2 often and had back up tanks, masks, etc.

Panels are built around the control set up anyway. Ingress and egress are much easier without center sticks and resting on a thigh isn't necessarily a benefit.

The flying part is more important to me than ingress/egress. And resting your arm on your thigh is comfortable over a long flight.

So what is wrong with their wheel pants ?

I thought the plane looked awesome up close and more importantly flew great , I got very close to buying the 2 seater version in 2017 but back then there only about 30 or so in the country so I decided to go with something a bit more common.

I just think it’s looks terrible. That’s all.

8911c3635f5f6e852fd79d258e480b57.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Ingress and egress are much easier without center sticks...

Depends on how you enter/exit. If you climb aboard like in a Cessna or roll across like in a Mooney, a center stick would be inconvenient. However, if you climb over a side sill and plop down like in a Tiger or DA40, a center stick is better. I've got a pretty good number of hours piloting Cessnas, Mooneys, Tigers and DA40's along with a pretty good number of ingresses and egresses so that's my perspective.

Doesn't look bad in context with the rest of the plane.

dz5iqL7.png

We will agree to disagree then. I think they ruin the look of the plane. Luckily when you fly it I guess you cannot see them!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I just think it’s looks terrible. That’s all.
I've often wondered why they don't use some kind of boot or otherwise do something to fill that gap at the top of the nose gear fairing so the bare strut isn't exposed like that. Always looks like something is missing there.

Uncomfortable? I rest my forearm on my thigh and use my wrist to fly. It also provides an unobstructed view of the panel.
The could of times I few a DA-40, thought the stick was freakin' awesome. I also rested my forearm on my thigh. Diamond uses all control rods for the ailerons and in cruise a pilot just "needs to think" where they want to go and the plane flies there. Literally squeezing the stick one way or the other move the plane, without being twitchy.

Center sticks are sometimes a pain for front seat passengers though.

The could of times I few a DA-40, thought the stick was freakin' awesome. I also rested my forearm on my thigh. Diamond uses all control rods for the ailerons and in cruise a pilot just "needs to think" where they want to go and the plane flies there. Literally squeezing the stick one way or the other move the plane, without being twitchy.

Center sticks are sometimes a pain for front seat passengers though.

Yeah a stick can sometimes interfere with a passenger’s legs. All depends on the type of center stick though. Some are right up in your crouch, some (most helos) have a bow in the center and some go into the bottom of the panel. All the ones I’ve used are very comfortable and present very little of an egress restriction.

I thought the Sling was badass until I saw one in person at Livermore. They need to do something with the hideous wheel pants setup.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
I actually agree. I’ve been wanting a tail wheel version for 4yrs now. I thought it was in the works and I even have a picture on my phone. I’ve argued that there is no currently available 4-seat, all aluminum, turbo, low wing, tail dragger. I can’t be the only person that wants that!

Attachments

• D6768A5E-EF72-47CB-BD0B-566591CB60C2.jpeg
    D6768A5E-EF72-47CB-BD0B-566591CB60C2.jpeg
    45.8 KB · Views: 33
I guess I was thinking they went for the altitude test basically right away, which was impressive. 87gals, two people, gear and I saw them at FL270 north of Flagstaff. Would’ve thought they could’ve burned off half the fuel first.

I actually agree. I’ve been wanting a tail wheel version for 4yrs now. I thought it was in the works and I even have a picture on my phone. I’ve argued that there is no currently available 4-seat, all aluminum, turbo, low wing, tail dragger. I can’t be the only person that wants that!
That is why there is no accounting for taste.... that thing on your phone is just hideous :)

Centre stick is not an issue. I'm left handed. Learned to fly in the Cirrus. You try writing a navlog while holding the stick right handed across your body. (yes, I know.. autopilot)

In the Sling I can fly with either hand. 2 fingers on the stick. It does preclude the use of a knee board and it certainly got t'missus attention the first time I did a control check with her in the aircraft. She doesn't wear skirts in the aircraft anymore.....

I'm not the biggest fan of the wheel pant design. But hey, I can't see them from the cockpit.

There is a taildragger version of the Sling 2. I'm not sure a four seater low wing taildragger will work aesthetically?

Centre stick is not an issue. I'm left handed. Learned to fly in the Cirrus. You try writing a navlog while holding the stick right handed across your body. (yes, I know.. autopilot)

In the Sling I can fly with either hand. 2 fingers on the stick.

Being a righty, interesting point. Thanks for sharing that.

-David

the first time I did a control check with her in the aircraft. She doesn't wear skirts in the aircraft anymore.[/QUOTE said:
Pics or it didn't happen. Great post, man, thanks!

Back