Garmin 335

murphey

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
murphey
New - in between the 175 & the 375....no transponder but COMM: $7K, probably $6.3K at the dealers.

So, can anyone explain the difference between the 335 ($7K) and the 635 ($11K) other than $4K?

635 display: 4.9 in diagonal
335 display: 4.8 in diagonal

https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/689774

I have been wondering about the same thing.. may be its a different certification process for the new ones that doesn't taker like 10 years... and eventually they will retire the 635/625 line?

New - in between the 175 & the 375....no transponder but COMM: $7K, probably $6.3K at the dealers.

So, can anyone explain the difference between the 335 ($7K) and the 635 ($11K) other than $4K?

635 display: 4.9 in diagonal
335 display: 4.8 in diagonal

https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/689774

GTN can do a lot more, run and display onboard weather radar equipment and more stuff geared to towards transport category aircraft, IOW a whole lot things that a Cherokee owner would never use.

GTN also do not contain a wireless interface for EFBs, that's a freebie in the 375, I'm guessing the 355 too.

Last edited:
355. Might want to edit the thread title for future searches.

Shut up and take my money! They do this to me every KOSH week!!!

Serious question for IFR fliers (since I'm a lowly VFR flier)....
How important in this day and age do you think it is to have more than one terrestrial nav/comm radio? Seems like using this would give you one GPS nav/comm, and potentially a single VOR nav/comm? I can see the value in having two VOR's tuned in on separate radios/CDI's to allow triangulation to determine position and to potentially track one while setting the second up for your next leg.

I'd assume 99% of your IFR flying now can/is performed via GPS, so maybe having two VOR nav/comm's just isn't that valuable? -

Serious question for IFR fliers (since I'm a lowly VFR flier)....
How important in this day and age do you think it is to have more than one terrestrial nav/comm radio? Seems like using this would give you one GPS nav/comm, and potentially a single VOR nav/comm? I can see the value in having two VOR's tuned in on separate radios/CDI's to allow triangulation to determine position and to potentially track one while setting the second up for your next leg.

I'd assume 99% of your IFR flying now can/is performed via GPS, so maybe having two VOR nav/comm's just isn't that valuable? -
IMO one NAV (VOR) radio is probably enough if you have a WAAS GPS and some form of geo reference moving map like FF or GP apps for situational awareness. I fly a fair amount of IFR in my Cherokee, running a 430W coupled to a dual G5 set up with a back up nav/com...and I cant remember the last time I actually navigated using the NAV radios other than for practice. Heck most of the time the VOR’s around me are “out of service” anyway.

I wouldn’t put all my eggs in the GPS basket yet, I’d always keep one NAV (VOR/ILS) operational for system redundancy and ILS capabilities...but I wouldn’t waste money keeping two in the panel.

Last edited:
I'd want two NAV and COM units (e.g. one GPS and one VOR) flying IFR in case one unit crumps. But VOR nav is becoming much less essential as VORs are decommissioned. Two VORs are not essential anymore if you have GPS. Quite frankly, if I had lost GPS signals on my last trip backup VOR nav would have been of little use, as two of the VORs on my route of flight were OTS. It's good to have ILS for now, though. I wish we had kept eLORAN as a backup nav system rather than VORs. I used LORAN nav for years before GPS was widely available, and it was awesome. But I digress.

Back