Possible To Get Medical At OSH?

Juliet Hotel

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Juliet Hotel
Wanting to go BasicMed. had an appointment this week to get the exam but the appointment didn't happen so have to reschedule. I was telling my wife about having to reschedule and she said well I wonder if you can just get it while we're at Oshkosh next week. I never even thought to wonder such a thing.

I know all departments of the FAA are represented and whatnot. Might it be possible to get a Basicmed exam during the show?

Yes. They do groups at a time.

Here’s a photo from last year.

upload_2019-7-18_20-59-30.png

I'd be interested in the serious answer to this -- it'd be a reason for me to go to Osh this year, as the local docs are all yellow.

Been to Oshkosh half dozen times, never saw or heard of ability to get medical exam. Very very doubtful.

I apologize for making a joke out of it but I didn’t think anyone would be interested in my serious answer. But since you asked...

Serious answer:

I do not see it happening.
Wouldn’t the doctors have to be licensed in Wisconsin?
Would you expect a discounted EAA rate?
Do you expect doctors to take time away from their normal practice for this?
Would enough docs be available to handle the demand?
It’s supposed to be a “Comprehensive Medical Exam”, correct? Do you think it would be all that comprehensive in a tent or hangar at OSH?
I doubt if the EAA, AOPA, or even the FAA would care for the optics of a process that appears to be mass produced flight physicals.

So... no.

I apologize for making a joke out of it but I didn’t think anyone would be interested in my serious answer. But since you asked...

Serious answer:

It’s supposed to be a “Comprehensive Medical Exam”, correct? Do you think it would be all that comprehensive in a tent or hangar at OSH?
I doubt if the EAA, AOPA, or even the FAA would care for the optics of a process that appears to be mass produced flight physicals.

So... no.

I wasn't really offended, it was a joke. You posted a picture of a bunch of naked dudes on a forum most used by a bunch of dudes, someone had to make a joke.

I guess it was a dumb question. Sorry.
Not so. I think it was a totally valid one, and something you'd think would/should be available.

Something I think would be a valuable addition to the event would be representatives from FAA medical answering questions in a moderated panel and Q&A format to spread the correct information on various aspects of the process.

The FAA docs are in attendance to consult on medical certification issues. In some cases, airmen show up with their medical documentation following a prior deferral and are issued a medical with a special issuance on the spot. The do not, however, conduct examinations of any type.

That said, there are a lot of pilots who are also state licensed physicians, so perhaps you could track one down willing to conduct an examination. I'n the three years that BasicMed has been around, I haven't seen a doc set up shop for BasicMed comprehensive medical examinations at Airventure, although I suspect that would probably be a very popular service.

Serious answer:

So... no.
The FAA wouldn't sponsor such an event, but certainly any of the GA advocacy groups could. There are some logistical issues to consider, as well as the expectation that airmen would show up with their entire medical history. That said, if it were announced ahead of time and folks could prepare their 8700-2s before arriving, it might be a useful service. Not sure if it would be profitable for the doctor, though.

A few years ago, the Light Spot Expo in Sebring did medicals onsite. Not a strange question at all.

I didn't think any AME was in it for the money, and my DOT physical took maybe 15 minutes, plus the added trucker stuff involving cupped hands and coughing. Seemed possible to me.

Oh well. A boy can dream. Back to the men walking in circles and closing the gaps. :D

I found this in the article to be interesting:

A senior aviation medical examiner will be on hand at the 13th annual Sport Aviation Expo to perform medical exams, after which pilots can fill out the online FAA forms and receive a printed medical certificate.”

So they were filling the forms out after the exam?
Maybe it was to sell light sport after the denials....

Interesting, considering you don't need a medical to fly Light Sport.
Unless you hold a PPL or above and want to fly your light sport aircraft above 10,000 MSL, at night, or into a foreign country.

Unless you hold a PPL or above and want to fly your light sport aircraft above 10,000 MSL, at night, or into a foreign country.
OK, you're right -- I wasn't specific enough. Flying a Light Sport aircraft with Sport PIlot privileges doesn't require a medical.

OK, you're right -- I wasn't specific enough. Flying a Light Sport aircraft with Sport PIlot privileges doesn't require a medical.
The question was why people at a sport aviation expo would be interested in getting medical certificates. The answer is apparently that not everyone who wants to fly light sport aircraft wants to be limited to sport pilot privileges.

Last edited:
The question was why people at a sport aviation expo would be interested in getting medical certificates. The answer is apparently that not everyone who wants to fly light sport aircraft wants to be limited to sport pilot privileges.
Agreed. It's just that, if there were going to be an aviation expo where medical certification were offered, it would seem counter-intuitive at first that it would be an LSA expo. I suppose one could argue, though, that's where you're likely to find the highest percentage of attendees without one.

I think it was also just an attempt to increase attendance. I'm surprised someone at Oshkosh doesn't offer that onsite.

Thinking ahead...if you get a surprise fail, but flew in....oops.

Maybe just do it at home.

I think it was also just an attempt to increase attendance. I'm surprised someone at Oshkosh doesn't offer that onsite.
Oddly enough, their home page now says that this was the last one of these expos at that airport. (It didn't say whether there's a chance that it could continue elsewhere.)

Oddly enough, their home page now says that this was the last one of these expos at that airport. (It didn't say whether there's a chance that it could continue elsewhere.)

Yeah, there was a thread on Sebring ending awhile back on here. Sad news.

It’s a pretty crowded place. How much privacy do you want, when the doc gets to the anus exam?
Meh my perspective is that would be more an issue for the crowd than it would for me. I don't have to look at it, they do.

We live in the woods so there aren't many curtains in our house. And we like to walk around the house naked. What I tell everyone is whether or not you call before you come up the driveway is up to you. But there are some things you can't unsee so choose carefully.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back