Coffee

Coffee used to be a real honest drink. And, then Starbucks came along!

There was a company that roasted their own beans, sold their own proprietary coffee brewing system, and sold it to restaurants throughout the US. Restaurants that did it right could deliver cup after cup of coffee that tasted just like it smelled. It was smooth, not bitter. And, was a great cup of coffee, no need to add sugar or cream. I don't even remember the name of this company. But, apparently they no longer exist. Because restaurant coffee flat out sucks!

I cannot stand flavored coffee, iced coffee, or coffee blended drinks. They are awful. And, people who order "double-tall-half-caf-mocha-frapachinos" for the whole office and then stand there and chat up the baristas are really irritating people.

I'm off to fire up the Keurig. I need another cup of coffee!

Crazy concept some people fail to grasp: Different people have different tastes....
True, and case in point....I grew up on a farm. Farm boys are supposed to like milk, right? Good energy for farm work and all that. I have hated milk since I was a little child. My parents made me drink a glass every evening at dinner, or supper if you live in the country, well into my teens. I had to hold my nose to drink it. I still dislike it to this day. My doctor wants me to drink two to three glasses a day. He has to settle for 2 cups of almond milk.

My daughter, on the other hand, is in her mid-20s, and has always and still does love milk. Go figure.

True, and case in point....I grew up on a farm. Farm boys are supposed to like milk, right? Good energy for farm work and all that. I have hated milk since I was a little child. My parents made me drink a glass every evening at dinner, or supper if you live in the country, well into my teens. I had to hold my nose to drink it. I still dislike it to this day. My doctor wants me to drink two to three glasses a day. He has to settle for 2 cups of almond milk.

My daughter, on the other hand, is in her mid-20s, and has always and still does love milk. Go figure.

And as far as milk goes I am a vitamin D red or white cap guy. 2%? Nope. Too watery. 1%? The gag reflex starts. 1/2%? What is wrong with you people?!?! Skim. Good Lord. It looks like drainage from an infection, with its gray watery appearance. In fact, I think they just find sores on dairy cattle and drain those for skim milk.

I can't even use any of the 2% or less in cereal.

And, I have friends with a dairy farm. Right out of the cow and into the fridge. Waaaaaay too thick for me, almost like drinking cottage cheese - which I also find disgusting.

There was a company that roasted their own beans, sold their own proprietary coffee brewing system, and sold it to restaurants throughout the US. Restaurants that did it right could deliver cup after cup of coffee that tasted just like it smelled. It was smooth, not bitter. And, was a great cup of coffee, no need to add sugar or cream. I don't even remember the name of this company. But, apparently they no longer exist. Because restaurant coffee flat out sucks!

I cannot stand flavored coffee, iced coffee, or coffee blended drinks. They are awful. And, people who order "double-tall-half-caf-mocha-frapachinos" for the whole office and then stand there and chat up the baristas are really irritating people.

That was most likely Farmer Brothers, Inc. They supplied the now famous coffee to Dunkin Donuts and were eventually moved to a restaurant supply company. I drive past their headquarters building going Northbound on I-35W across from the Texas Motor Speedway...

the Keurig
Speaking of vile...

I know some people love 'em, but I have never had a cup of coffee from a Keurig that was drinkable.

We got a little spoiled... went from "whatever is cheap and has a timer" drip coffee maker, to a Bunn (big improvement). That was fine, until we visited friends in Germany who had a DeLonghi super-automatic. OMG. Eventually bought one. Wore it out. Scored a second as Sam's Club figured out they couldn't sell them and sold the last half dozen dirt cheap -- I wish I'd bought them all. Wore that one out. Now we're on a Jura, which is even better than the DeLonghi. Quieter, better coffee, makes a fantastic little macchiato, and it's got a decent frother for when we have company who wants a cappuccino. I've threatened to take it along on vacations.

And yes, I know there are people who think we're nuts for spending more than $25 on a coffee maker, and people who think we're savages for not spending $8K on a proper espresso machine. ::shrug::

That was most likely Farmer Brothers, Inc. They supplied the now famous coffee to Dunkin Donuts and were eventually moved to a restaurant supply company. I drive past their headquarters building going Northbound on I-35W across from the Texas Motor Speedway...

Oh damn! It turns out they are based in Portland and have re-formed their coffee business as "Coffee Bean International" and use words like "sustainable" in their marketing.

They have sold out to the filthy hippies...

....And, I have friends with a dairy farm. Right out of the cow and into the fridge. Waaaaaay too thick for me, almost like drinking cottage cheese - which I also find disgusting.
I almost forgot. Parents had two milk cows when I was real little. Dad sold them when I was maybe 6 or 8. I vaguely remember them. My Mom has always said that she had a hard time getting us to transition to grocery store whole milk after he sold them. Maybe I liked the straight from the cow milk better, but I don't remember drinking it.

@DaleB, I use a Keurig every day. I like it, and it's convenient. About six years ago, I worked for a company that had a Jura in the break room. I do have to admit that was a much better cup of coffee than a Keurig. I'm just not going to spend that kind of money on one.

@DaleB, I use a Keurig every day. I like it, and it's convenient. About six years ago, I worked for a company that had a Jura in the break room. I do have to admit that was a much better cup of coffee than a Keurig. I'm just not going to spend that kind of money on one.
That's another reason we don't use a Keurig. Even if it DID make decent coffee, the cost per cup is way too high... my wife and each drink several cups a day. We'd spend more on coffee pods in a year than we did on the Jura, plus the cleaning and descaling tablets to maintain it.

you know with a Keurig you can get a screen and put your own grounds in there right?

That's another reason we don't use a Keurig. Even if it DID make decent coffee, the cost per cup is way too high... my wife and each drink several cups a day. We'd spend more on coffee pods in a year than we did on the Jura, plus the cleaning and descaling tablets to maintain it.
Yeah, a Keurig would not work for me, either, if I drank as much as you do. I drink one to two cups each morning, usually just one, and my wife rarely ever drinks any. I get a Costa Rican coffee off Amazon for about $0.40 a cup. And I use white vinegar to clean mine. It's at least 10 years old, and I've never used any descaling product other than vinegar.

I do miss the Jura coffee!

I almost forgot. Parents had two milk cows when I was real little. Dad sold them when I was maybe 6 or 8. I vaguely remember them. My Mom has always said that she had a hard time getting us to transition to grocery store whole milk after he sold them. Maybe I liked the straight from the cow milk better, but I don't remember drinking it.

In college, I worked as a milkman, delivering raw milk in glass bottles from the back of a '69 Chevy truck. That stuff was unforgettable, as was the fresh cream! The flavor was unique, since you could taste the grass the cows ate and it was different throughout the year... The insane laws in California required DAILY testing of the milk for diseases, and the dairy's land was eventually parceled off to pay all the costs. There is nothing left now, but Gozillion Dollar houses and broken dreams...

My daily driver nowadays is a Hamilton beach Brewstation. No carafe and the coffee goes straight into my (extremely large) cup.

I've been grinding whole beans from an almost local roaster, who sells their beans out of a truck. Great stuff!

And as far as milk goes I am a vitamin D red or white cap guy. 2%? Nope. Too watery. 1%? The gag reflex starts. 1/2%? What is wrong with you people?!?! Skim. Good Lord. It looks like drainage from an infection, with its gray watery appearance. In fact, I think they just find sores on dairy cattle and drain those for skim milk.

I can't even use any of the 2% or less in cereal.

And, I have friends with a dairy farm. Right out of the cow and into the fridge. Waaaaaay too thick for me, almost like drinking cottage cheese - which I also find disgusting.

I grew up on Vitamin D as a kid. I probably had a least a glass per day. I love milk. I switched to 2% in college and that's what we drink currently, but I don't turn down a glass of whole milk. I tried 1% one time and thought it was awful, and couldn't get past the sight of skim milk to even try it. We probably drink 2 gallons of milk per week between my wife, 3yr old daughter, and I.

First, I suppose some apology is in order. Coffee tastes so utterly horrid to me that I never thought anyone could pick up the habit sans the pharmaceutical effect. Perhaps I am mistaken. What throws me is the bitter taste of coffee. Bitter usually translates across individuals in a species, since its a biologically hard wired warning against toxins.

And I could never stand to drink milk and still cannot. Between the taste, which I despise, and moderate lactose intolerance on my part, I detest the stuff. Oh, I cook with it to be certain, but I still don't drink it, not even with cookies.

First, I suppose some apology is in order. Coffee tastes so utterly horrid to me that I never thought anyone could pick up the habit sans the pharmaceutical effect. Perhaps I am mistaken. What throws me is the bitter taste of coffee. Bitter usually translates across individuals in a species, since its a biologically hard wired warning against toxins.

And I could never stand to drink milk and still cannot. Between the taste, which I despise, and moderate lactose intolerance on my part, I detest the stuff. Oh, I cook with it to be certain, but I still don't drink it, not even with cookies.

Capsaicin.

Here's part of my weird list:

Coffee - LOVE IT (until the body says stop, after 3rd cup mostly)
Tea - okay, too. Only unsweetened.
Wine - red or white - fabulous! Consider myself an aficionado.
Bourbons and Whiskeys - love it in VERY small doses. (no, smaller doses than that)
Spicy? BRING IT ON! I'll sweat with the best and love every bite.

Milk - can tolerate as a drink additive (i.e. Cappuccinos). Won't drink straight, don't do breakfast cereal because of this
Beer - can't stand it.

When I was a Junior in College, I began drinking coffee.

My dad said to me: "Drink it black, learn to like it that way, and you'll simplify your life."

Done, and thanks, Dad!

Dad said, “Never go cheap on women, whisky or toilet paper. And take your coffee like your women: simple, unfettered, and as hot as you can get.” Words I live by daily. Happiness abounds at both ends, and everywhere in between. :)

Some people prob like it. I don’t. But every morning a few shots of espresso down the hatch. Clean energy, and apparently it’s good for you. Win/win.

It’s more like a shot of vodka (for me). Done for medicinal purposes & desired side effects.

You have got to be kidding! Everybody has a different taste and they are welcome to it. I drink mostly dark black coffee myself, but every so often a iced coffee or flavored coffee is great. To some coffee is the substance and for others it is simply the base for the drink.

Starbucks created today's coffee culture in the US. Without them, Dunkin and McDonalds would still only offer their gas station percolator swill. There also wouldn't be an assortment of independent shops trying to do 'whatever Starbucks does just better'.

Starbucks is the Microsoft of coffee.

Starbucks created today's coffee culture in the US. Without them, Dunkin and McDonalds would still only offer their gas station percolator swill. There also wouldn't be an assortment of independent shops trying to do 'whatever Starbucks does just better'.

Don't insult MS like that. Starbucks would definitely be an Apple product. :)

Don't insult MS like that. Starbucks would definitely be an Apple product. :)

Hmmm.

Starbucks: A product that used to cost nearly nothing that they've now tried to monetize and has a small but highly vocal minority of people who swear by it, but everyone who drinks the other brands of coffee thinks they're crazy.

Starbucks is Linux.

Keurig: A company that became large fairly quickly, became the de facto standard in their industry, and then tried to use their size to force other vendors out of their standard and create recurring revenue streams for themselves.

Keurig is Microsoft.

I only drink it black. I like good coffee but not really to the same degree as some coffee snobs. Occasionally I get a cup from starbucks, I like it better than any gas station coffee. I think people love to hate the starbucks stereotype.

Working nights, I bought a Nespresso a put it in my tool box. I like the taste, but the jitters were awful. A Keurig worked out much better for a quick and fresh cup on the go at 3AM.

Balderflop! Starbucks is the "used oil" of coffee... Sorta like going to the bar and ordering a drink called "bar mat."

Starbucks: A product that used to cost nearly nothing that they've now tried to monetize and has a small but highly vocal minority of people who swear by it, but everyone who drinks the other brands of coffee thinks they're crazy.

30 years ago, the 'free' price of coffee was a fair representation of it's value. Outside of ethnic communities like Italian and brasilian enclaves, all you could get was some transparent liquid that was visually indistinguishable from tea and could only be described as 'somewhat coffee flavored'.

Depending on who you believe and how you slice the market, starbucks market share is 40% to 60% and they are the largest coffee shop chain in the country. Dunkin and McDonalds also sell coffee, but it's an add-on product with the bulk of their revenue from food sales. Given that SB dominates that marker, I don't know where you get the 'small minority' part from.

Microsoft isn't the best operating system, never has been. It's still on most computers sold new in the market.

Balderflop! Starbucks is the "used oil" of coffee... Sorta like going to the bar and ordering a drink called "bar mat."

I'm not sure you got what he was getting at. He didn't say SB was the best, just that they kickstarted everyone else to make better coffee.

I'm not sure you got what he was getting at. He didn't say SB was the best, just that they kickstarted everyone else to make better coffee.
And they have been wildly successful at conditioning our culture to pay $2+ for a "tall" cup of coffee, which is really their small, whereas coffee used to be much less than a dollar per cup. They have been marketing geniuses.

I'm still not a fan of their coffee, and hardly ever go there. But I have to give credit where it is due.

And they have been wildly successful at conditioning our culture to pay $2+ for a "tall" cup of coffee, which is really their small, whereas coffee used to be much less than a dollar per cup. They have been marketing geniuses.

I'm still not a fan of their coffee, and hardly ever go there. But I have to give credit where it is due.

I think I've only had Starbucks once. If you put down a cup of SB, DD, or McD in front of me, I wouldn't know which was which except for the container they come in. Same goes for Folger's or Hills Bros, or....Sanka....lol

Depending on who you believe and how you slice the market, starbucks market share is 40% to 60% and they are the largest coffee shop chain in the country. Dunkin and McDonalds also sell coffee, but it's an add-on product with the bulk of their revenue from food sales. Given that SB dominates that marker, I don't know where you get the 'small minority' part from.

I think if you define the market as those who go into a store to buy a cup of coffee just for the coffee (I.e. not accompanying a meal, or a meeting), you are correct.

If you define the market as everyone who drinks coffee, then the SB share is probably a minority.

If you define the market to be the whole US population of coffee drinking age, the SB minority is even smaller.

No numbers to back that up, but that’s my supposition/assertion.

And they have been wildly successful at conditioning our culture to pay $2+ for a "tall" cup of coffee, which is really their small, whereas coffee used to be much less than a dollar per cup.
Yeah, and we also used to pay less than a buck a gallon for gas. And the car I'm restoring sold for about $2500 new. I'm not a big fan either, but apparently what Starbucks charges for coffee is not out of line with what people are willing to pay, and pay frequently.

Back