80 year old student pilot wins AOPA Super Cub

My dad thinks he's too old to start learning at 61. I've got to show him this article.
If he can get with it and progress at a steady pace, he could find "retirement employment" as a pro aviator. Maybe not airlines, but there are lots of flying jobs out there that aren't airlines the will welcome folks who were around when the Mercury and Gemini launches were happening.

Story.

I’m bummed I didn’t win but it’s kind of cool to see this guy win. I do wonder though at 80 and a student, what he’ll do with it. Will he keep the floats on it and get his ASES? Pull the floats and finish his PP using the tailwheel? Options abound.

He is local to me. Unfortunatly I am not aware of a CFI to do tailwheel work here :(

I kinda doubt he keeps it. The tax bill is gonna be huge.

Good for him! Maybe he can find a couple partners to cover the tax bill and fly the heck out of it.

Good for him! Maybe he can find a couple partners to cover the tax bill and fly the heck out of it.

If he was in the Charlotte area rather than Greenville, I’d probably jump on that. Greenville at an hour and forty minutes drive is just a bit far to go to fly.

Still, something to ponder.

Of all of their giveaways, this was the one that I really wanted the most.

I bet that Cub will trade hands sooner than later. God only knows what the insurance premium will be for an octogenarian.

Not sure what his ability is to foot the tax bill that will be due on his winning that without liquidating it, either.

Yeah, the tax bill will be spectacular. Unless he has significant means he'll have to sell it. That said, he'll make enough off the sale to purchase the aircraft of his choice.

Anybody know how much the plane is worth?

Anybody know how much the plane is worth?

Approximate Retail Value of $180,000 though I believe sweepstakes winnings are taxed at fair market value, which is not necessarily ARV.

Good for him, hope he keeps it and gets some fun out of it

Yeah, the tax bill will be spectacular. Unless he has significant means he'll have to sell it. That said, he'll make enough off the sale to purchase the aircraft of his choice.

I saw an article a few years ago about many of the prize planes and most of them weren't owned by the person that won it any more.

Back