Do you hangar when traveling?

Do you put your plane in a hangar when traveling?

• Total voters

Challenged

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Challenged
Do you normally ask to put your airplane in a hangar when you're away from your home field? What do you generally expect to pay per night if so?

Generally no, but will if severe weather is forecast. The fee has been anywhere from free to $25/night, but this is at smaller uncontrolled fields. I have no doubt that at larger airports with marquee FBOs like Signature, that the fee would be considerably higher.

Generally no, but will if severe weather is forecast. The fee has been anywhere from free to $25/night, but this is at smaller uncontrolled fields. I have no doubt that at larger airports with marquee FBOs like Signature, that the fee would be considerably higher.

And they will only put you in a hangar if your airplane is "pretty" enough.

And they will only put you in a hangar if your airplane is "pretty" enough.

I've never owned a "pretty airplane", which makes it much easier to avoid the temptation to pay usurious rates to hangar them when travelling. ;) :D

Last edited:
For more than 2 or 3 days, I like to hangar it. Heck, if there's hangars available, I'll hangar it for one day if the price is right. But, as you probably figured out, I'm not going to spend $120 a night for it. ;)

I hangared when overnight if there was any potential for weather or if temps would require being plugged in.

I think when I was in St Augustine a few years back, they put me in a shade hangar for $20 a night. That was before they were Atlantic.

I always ask before picking an airport/FBO to use and try to hangar it every night. I have paid as little at $10 and as much as $65. I generally assume the cost will be $30-50. A few places I had no choice but to leave it outside (Cuba, Guatemala, Key West, Bahamas), but most everywhere else it has been inside. I generally travel for 4-6 weeks at a time, so while the price adds up, it is kept inside in generally harsher climates than my home base.

All the hangar fees I have ever paid are less than what hail damage would cost to fix.

This year I am planning to rent a hangar for a month at an airport near family back east so I can come and go as needed during my visit. In/Out at an FBO hangar is generally a hassle.

I've asked to have mine hangared twice. Once in STL area due to cold temps and once when I had to divert for severe storms.

I would hope that you consider it as "yours" during your rental period. Especially if inclement weather hits.
Of course, but hail is rare where I usually fly. The reason I'm reading this thread is so that I'll know what to expect if I ever fly to a place where that's not true.

Last edited:
No, but if I knew there were severe storms coming through and it was an option I probably would.

I've never owned a "pretty airplane", which makes it much easier to avoid the temptation to pay usurious rates to hangar them when travelling. ;) :D
you should do a crazy bright paint job on the taildragger. Or, paint the Aztec up like Spirit airlines does

I don't worry about shelter on the road, but my tail isn't made of Textron unobtanium, nor my nose wheel assembly made out of sugar wafer. :D

Facetiousness aside, much of my airplane choices are driven by dispatch rate and facilitation of repair or outright fleet replacement. Thence, storage issues on the road largely become a non concern in the fleet of airplanes I dabble in. And I've dealt with ground rash, so I'm not talking from the cheap seats. It has paid off for me. A slow airplane is better than a six figure lawn ornament.

At any rate, to your hypothetical, I'd probably spend no more than 125 for an instance of blinking at the poker table.

Last edited:
There is no 'my airplane' since I rent.
Well, you know there is not a requirement that you respond to posts that don’t apply to you, right? I’ve generally been quoted rates of around $50/ night the few times I’ve asked (only had plane since Dec). If it is for one night and no severe weather, I’m ok with it outside with my canopy cover.

Nope...unless weather is an issue..in which case I am probably not taking my plane anyway.

The two or three times I was away from home with threatening weather, I was at places with no hangars or no room available in the hangars. Once, I did get pulled into a hangar the next morning to thaw out before starting.

Best hangar price while traveling was $5/night near/under the path of the 2017 Eclipse.

The effects of dirt, bugs, sun, heat, wind, cold, water, risk of people messing with your plane, weighed against the small risk of the line guys (or for the Berkley folks line people) damaging the plane. I almost always hangar. But I would love to see a $25 hangar. I am usually looking at minimum of $60 and as high as $200 per night.

Depends on the airplane and depends on the weather.

If I am flying a biplane x-country (whether it’s my own or one I’m ferrying), I will typically hangar it.

When I had my Baron, I’d hangar it if there was going to be potentially ugly weather (bad t-storm/possible hail).

With the Beech 18, I generally don’t simply because most FBOs don’t have a towbar to move me, although I’ve been building a list of airports that I know have tow bars that can move it if I need to get it out if the weather.

As far as the price, that’s one of those things where IF you need the hangar, it’s probably going to be cheaper to pay their rate than deal with the cost of storm damage.

I'm okay with my Bruce's cover unless there is weather. If there's weather coming I don't care what the fee is. (but I think the most I've ever paid was $50-$100 for a few days after the fuel discount)

I think they threw my plane in a hangar overnight when bad weather approached at KAGC while I was in town for a few days. Canopy cover was dry when they pulled my plane up to the FBO for my departure. But I just put on a canopy cover on the plane when it's tied down for a few days or a week. Keep the insides cool, and the drips out of the cockpit. The canopy cover is the best investment I ever made for the airplane. Overheating is death to avionics.

We have a Beach House at Galveston and I sure wish I could hangar when there. That said, I doubt it would keep the salt air away from the plane anyway.

The effects of dirt, bugs, sun, heat, wind, cold, water, risk of people messing with your plane, weighed against the small risk of the line guys (or for the Berkley folks line people) damaging the plane. I almost always hangar. But I would love to see a $25 hangar. I am usually looking at minimum of $60 and as high as $200 per night.

If the plane in your avatar is the one you're flying, you're merely paying the "stinky fuel tax" or the "whiny airplane tax". ;) In my Mooney, fees are generally quite reasonable and I think $60/night is the upper end of what I've ever paid.

Are you saying that renters never need a hangar?
No, but you didn't add any information about hangars, just a statement that "my airplane" didn't apply to you. I just didn't see where that added any value to the dialog and wondered why you felt compelled to post to the thread. That's just my take, though. You certainly don't need my consent to post wherever.

No, but you didn't add any information about hangars, just a statement that "my airplane" didn't apply to you. I just didn't see where that added any value to the dialog and wondered why you felt compelled to post to the thread. That's just my take, though. You certainly don't need my consent to post wherever.
:p

I answered "no" because I've never felt forecast natural occurrences (hail, flooding, hurricanes, high winds, tornadoes, extreme cold, etc.) were a potential threat when I've been on a week or two cross-country and parked the plane tied down overnight for a day or two at a time.

If I felt there was a significantly higher than normal risk of damage to my plane, you bet I'd pay to have it hangered.

You must also not fly in winter when precipitation or frost freezing to the aircraft is an issue or in thunderstorm season when hail can make you plane an instant golf ball.

I always hangar, unless it is for just one night, we are departing early, and weather is not an issue. If I can’t afford to hangar then I can’t afford to own the plane.

You must also not fly in winter when precipitation or frost freezing to the aircraft is an issue or in thunderstorm season when hail can make you plane an instant golf ball.

LOL. You aren't in any position to know, are you.

Back