What "gender" is your airplane?

Shawn

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Shawn
With the "evolution" of the social construct of Gender and cities like Berkley striking all gender pronouns from the language of their city codes...what "gender" is your airplane in this day and age?

https://www.sfchronicle.com/bayarea...Berkeley-drops-he-she-14102930.php?psid=d7KuQ

I will sill refer to mine as a "she" because "she" is typically temperamental, demanding, and relatively expensive to operate.

<- Her name is Candy. (The plane, not the lucky pilot)

I applaud such social moves, And don’t see the connection, but 59V is a girl, her name is Shirley. I had a grandma Shirley I was very very close to, ive had all boys so wasn’t able to pass her name on to my offspring, so next best bet was my bird...

Also makes for a funny reference, as I tell people, “ you can call her Shirley”

Depends on the choice I make for my gender identification for the morning. :goofy::goofy:

I've never given any of my airplanes a name or referred to them in any way other than "the plane".

I've never given a name to any of the cars/boats/etc. that I own or operate, but I always refer to them with a feminine pronoun. Ex: "She's a good bird", "come on 'ol girl", "let's take her out for a spin".

If I'm getting inside it, it's a female. I am an unreconstructed heterosexual.

I did have a somewhat emotional moment after my last flight USAF (Reserve) flight - walked around to the right side of our C-130E, just aft of the radome (no witnesses on that side), placed my hand on the airplane and thanked "her" for not killing me. One of those moments when you put some aspect of your life behind you . . .

Anyway, she was a she. . .

I've never given a name to any of the cars/boats/etc. that I own or operate, but I always refer to them with a feminine pronoun. Ex: "She's a good bird", "come on 'ol girl", "let's take her out for a spin".

Exactly the same here.

Mine vacillated between "Lovergirl" and "GDSOB", depending on the day and what went wrong.

If I'm getting inside it, it's a female. I am an unreconstructed heterosexual.

I did have a somewhat emotional moment after my last flight USAF (Reserve) flight - walked around to the right side of our C-130E, just aft of the radome (no witnesses on that side), placed my hand on the airplane and thanked "her" for not killing me. One of those moments when you put some aspect of your life behind you . . .

Anyway, she was a she. . .

Did you ask first if you could feel her up

All Ships are Female.

Why? Don't know. I have 2 guess's:

1. Most Sailors and Pilots are men, most of us are straight and have no interest getting into a dude. :)
2. Since both groups are trusting their lives to machines, you hope whatever soul the machine as acquired over the years has the compassion of a woman.

Flav

All Ships are Female.

Why? Don't know. I have 2 guess's:

1. Most Sailors and Pilots are men, most of us are straight and have no interest getting into a dude. :)
2. Since both groups are trusting their lives to machines, you hope whatever soul the machine as acquired over the years has the compassion of a woman.

Flav

Really? There sure seems to be quite a few navy ships named after famous men.

Last edited:
Yes. Actually I believe Gay used to be a somewhat common middle name for girls. My little sister's middle name is Gay. She was born in 1967.
We had a neighbor named Gay....but she was straight. True story.....;)

Really? There sure seems to be quite a few navy ships named after famous men.
Lots of ships are named after dudes, but even those ships are referred to as ‘she’ when talking about the physical steel that is the ship.

Lots of ships are named after dudes, but even those ships are referred to as ‘she’ when talking about the physical steel that is the ship.
She’s mother, how could she be a dude?

Back