Questions regarding Medicals

Alex Shaw

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Alex
Hi everyone I recently joined and have a few questions regarding color deficiency testing.

I have red green color deficiency and although I am not yet in training, I know I will fail the famous Ishihara test, but I have taken Farnsworth D-15 test (color arrangement) and got a score of 2, with 0 being a perfect score.

My questions are:
1. Can I do the Farnsworth D-15 test on the first attempt to get a class 1 medical certificate? (I really don’t want to have a restriction to day flying)

2. Is there any AME which I can go to (inside of the USA) in order to take the specific D-15 test?

3.Is the Ishihara test a necessity on the first try to get a class 1 medical?

@bbchien can advise if that particular test is acceptable.

Meanwhile, please surf the medical topics thread. Many discussions there about the three classes of medical and which is "best" for initial training.

Sounds like you have taken and failed the Ishihara dot test. Try it again outside in bright sunlight. The test was designed for the color temperature of sunlight. Fluorescent light in a typical MD office is a poor substitute creating false failures for some. You might fail inside but pass outside.

Just a thought...

-Skip

+1 to Skip’s advice on taking the Ishihara in direct sunlight.

And again, why the push for a first class as your medical right out of the gate? Do you have plans on attending a Part 141 school that requires it? Or are you afraid that you would be spending large sums of money on training and hour building to not achieve a desired employment objective?

To answer “which AME” to administer the proper color sensing test for your situation, Dr. Bruce Chien would be my recommendation. He has mentioned here that he has just about every apparatus for this possible and also is exceedingly knowledgeable in how to navigate the FAA airspace for a medical certificate application such as yours. To make contact with him, visit http://www.aeromedicaldoc.com/how-to-start.html

The Farnsworth D15 is not an admissible test for meeting FAA color vision standards.

Not necessarily, Mike. It depends on severity. It's not an "all or nothing" kind of thing.

+1 to Skip’s advice on taking the Ishihara in direct sunlight.

And again, why the push for a first class as your medical right out of the gate? Do you have plans on attending a Part 141 school that requires it? Or are you afraid that you would be spending large sums of money on training and hour building to not achieve a desired employment objective?

To answer “which AME” to administer the proper color sensing test for your situation, Dr. Bruce Chien would be my recommendation. He has mentioned here that he has just about every apparatus for this possible and also is exceedingly knowledgeable in how to navigate the FAA airspace for a medical certificate application such as yours. To make contact with him, visit http://www.aeromedicaldoc.com/how-to-start.html
I am afraid of spending large sums of money, all for nothing. Thank you all for the help

Damn mutants think they have the same rights as us humans! Where's Sentinel Services when you need them?

What's your plan "B"?

I don’t really have one. I heard any type of engineering is even stricter on color vision and on ship captaincy, I’m still at a greater fault than become a commercial pilot..

I can’t see myself working in the business field or any other field because all I’ve really wanted to become is a pilot all my life

Hey guys, is there any place that I can do a practice run on the FALANT or Optec 900? Preferably in the Florida region but I suppose if there are none I’ll happily try and make my way to Dr. Bruce

Sorry for resurrecting an old thread but Dr. William Busch AvDoc51 at Kissimmee, Florida is a former Navy Pilot and Opthamologist who does physicals at Stallion 51 at the airport. He has an Optec 900 and being a former Navy Doc/Pilot knows all about color deficiency issues. I spent 26 years as a Flight Engineer in the Navy and now do the same thing for another Govt. entity. The Falant got me through the Navy and the Optec 900 is essentially a newer version. At some point he will retire so I bought my own Optec 900 on a Gov/surplus auction site for about $500. They are over $9000.00 new which is why it is so difficult to find an AME that has one. I am going to hold on to my machine and give it to my next AME when Doc Busch retires. They don't become available often, but search Ebay, auction sites and medical surplus places. Used ones sometimes sell as military clinics close or modernize. Any AME that has one becomes very popular once they make the investment in one of these. There are so many out there that can't pass the Pip.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back