Dynon STC AML expanded to 592 single models

Jesse Saint

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Jesse Saint
Dynon Avionics just announced this morning that their SkyView HDX AML has been expanded to include 592 different single engine airplanes, from a Luscombe to a Cessna 210, including Beechcraft, Mooney, Piper, Cessna, Maule, etc. single engine models. The STC price is a flat $2,000 per airplane. The equipment cost is unchanged from their experimental prices. The auto pilot will be added to more models as they do the engineering for them, but everything except the auto pilot is available now for all of these models. For those going to Oshkosh, stop by the Dynon booth to see, and touch these great systems, or go to www.dynoncertified.com for more details. The basic system starts at $9,630 with the STC plus installation. With installation at our shop (a Dynon authorized installation center), a 7” single system starts at $15,500 with installation or $16,800 for a 10” basic system. These are basically out-the-door prices. You can add engine monitor, ads-b out, ads-b in, Com radio and a second or third screen. An auto pilot can be added as it is developed for your model. Drop me an email at jesse@saintaviation.com for a price sheet.

The STC fee is a one-time charge per airplane for whatever options you decide to install, both now and add-ons down the road. The STC has been issued, and the PMA should come in the next few days.

Another affordable glass panel option is now available for your single engine plane.

Last edited:
Hmmm, I'm not seeing it on their site. Which is really odd as this is BIG news.

They sent out an email at 9:00. I am sure it will be listed on their website shortly.

This is a HUGE step forward. I don't know all the specifics of course but I assume the autopilot installations will need approved separate from this. (Obviously they don't have all the autopilot installation engineering complete for 600 makes & models already)

upload_2019-7-16_8-39-48.png

The Auto Pilot is not part of this AML expansion. Everything except the auto pilot is included. As the auto pilot is developed for additional models, that will be added to the STC/AML for those models.

Is it easier (fewer hours) to install than a G3x?

Is it easier (fewer hours) to install than a G3x?
I think it is. The G3X is a fantastic system, but the CAN bus (with the crazy expensive wire that requires) and all of the serial ports going everywhere, I personally get my harnesses build by a harness shop for the G3X. The Skyview system is extremely simple to understand and to wire. The shelf trays that are available hold most of the remote components that go behind the panel (10" tray holds backup battery, ADS-B, ADAHRS, Engine Monitor Module, ARINC Adapter; 8" tray holds backup battery and transponder or COM radio). This makes for a very simple installation and allows easy access to all of those modules. The Magnetometer and auto pilot servos are the main remote components. I have installed many G3X, GRT, AFS and Dynon systems, and I would put Dynon at the top of the list for ease of installation.

Good luck fighting your way through the crowd to play with a Dynon screen next week at OSH.

I think it is. The G3X is a fantastic system, but the CAN bus (with the crazy expensive wire that requires) and all of the serial ports going everywhere, I personally get my harnesses build by a harness shop for the G3X. The Skyview system is extremely simple to understand and to wire. The shelf trays that are available hold most of the remote components that go behind the panel (10" tray holds backup battery, ADS-B, ADAHRS, Engine Monitor Module, ARINC Adapter; 8" tray holds backup battery and transponder or COM radio). This makes for a very simple installation and allows easy access to all of those modules. The Magnetometer and auto pilot servos are the main remote components. I have installed many G3X, GRT, AFS and Dynon systems, and I would put Dynon at the top of the list for ease of installation.
Thanks for the insight. As of today, the GFC500 is a pretty good tipping point in favor of the G3x. Looks like I'll be doing some reading up on Dynon's 3rd party autopilot compatibility today.

Thanks for the insight. As of today, the GFC500 is a pretty good tipping point in favor of the G3x. Looks like I'll be doing some reading up on Dynon's 3rd party autopilot compatibility today.

Answering my own question, I guess this taps the brakes on the Dynon, at least for now...

Screenshot_2019-07-16-15-26-50-977.jpeg

I like that they will sell direct to me. I am an IA who owns a Grumman Tiger. I got all excited when Garmin put a certified G3X in the tiger but what good is it to me if I cant buy it and install it myself. This is good news.

I like that they will sell direct to me. I am an IA who owns a Grumman Tiger. I got all excited when Garmin put a certified G3X in the tiger but what good is it to me if I cant buy it and install it myself. This is good news.

There are a lot of mechanics/IA in that boat.

Jesse and others...this is welcomed news. Competition is a wonderful thing! I own a C177RG and believe it will be some time yet before the Dynon autopilot is approved for my airplane. Question...how will the Skyview system work with the Trutrak Vizion?

According to the FAQ above, the Skyview will not currently interface with any other autopilot. Also, the STC appears to only be $2000 instead of the $4000 I paid a month ago. You think if I call and ask them they'll send me a check for $2,000? *Edit* I actually sent them an email to see if they would honor the new STC pricing...no harm in asking I guess.

Last edited:
According to the FAQ above, the Skyview will not currently interface with any other autopilot.

I *think* (and I hope Jesse will correct me if I'm wrong) that the SkyView won't provide a CDI signal to the autopilot but if your AP can take an ARINC429 input then it can follow a GPS navigator (430/530, GTN, IFD, etc) directly thereby bypassing the HDX.

Edit: Also means 3rd party AP's can't follow the Skyview's heading bug. I think some AP's have their own, though.

Last edited:
The TruTrak has decoded certain information from a serial stream sent out by the Dynon. It works with the heading bug, altitude bug, vertical speed bug and HSI lateral deviation (I'm not sure if GPS only or VOR/LOC as well) as far as I remember. This is not officially promoted by Dynon, but as of the last system I installed, it did work.

Back