Electronic Ignition options

Hunt-man

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Hunt-man
I'm looking for a certified electronic ignition option. My slick mags are over the 500 hour mark but still running great. I have a IO-540 lycoming engine in a Comanche. Suggestions?

SureFly

I have about 100 hours on mine. Easy installation, works great.

I just gave them a call and had a nice chat with Jason. They have the SIM6L for my lycoming 6 cylinder. Certified in fixed timing mode.
He says they may have certification in a few weeks for the advanced timing mode. That's what I want. That mode advances the timing in cruise power settings.
Their mag requires a manifold pressure source and a direct connection to the battery or solenoid.

What motor do you have? Are you using the advanced timing mode?

I think ElectroAir and Surefly are the only ones in the certified world right now.

I think ElectroAir and Surefly are the only ones in the certified world right now.

I looked at Electroair and they want $5500.00
Surefly is $1550.00
Anyone know if the Electroair is that much better?

IO550. Advanced timing.

But I'm experimental.

Do you have both mags Surefly?
If you had standard mags before, what differences did you notice in how the engine operated after the Surefly mag was installed?

Do you have both mags Surefly?
If you had standard mags before, what differences did you notice in how the engine operated after the Surefly mag was installed?
No. Only one SureFly. The other is the legacy, Bendix mag.

I might have picked up a knot. But I do have about a .5 GPH drop in fuel flow in cruise. Starting seems easier and hot starts are definitely easier.

Where you see REV IR* 10/19/2018--it says note 4 for the Comanche, note 4 on the bottom shows fixed timing only. The PA28s had it till just a few days ago and now note 4 has been removed.

I have a new Surefly Electronic Mag on way. I've been reviewing the installation and it looks pretty straightforward. Given the standard setup on most aircraft it appears the best mag to replace would be the left one for better starting. There are 2 youtube videos (both on Grummans), that replaced the right mag. Any opinions on this?

I replaced my left mag. Because of my switch setup, the left mag is the one I start with, so that's why.

BTW, if you replace the right mag and need an ignition harness, let me know. (if you've got a 6 cyl)

A friend just installed the Electroair in his 260 B. That sucker is smooth, you can lean it right up to where it won't run anymore, and it stays like buttah. Starts first blade cold or hot. That said, the install is pretty complex. In addition to the timing unit, you need to install the computer, run a vac. hose and cables through the firewall, mount a coil pack somewhere away from intense heat like a muffler, change ign. harness, spark plugs and remove the ignition switch and replace it with a switch panel. Hard finding room for the stuff on the firewall. I know I couldn't install it in my 250. No room.

I like the SureFly, if it gets certified with advance timing.

I am running two Electroaire units - one on a 0-360 and one on a IO-540.

I am a big believer in them. 1980's automotive technology, but that is better than 1910 technology (Magnetos). I cannot understand why anyone would not want to be able to advance the ignition timing on an airplane engine.

I’m not confident the Surefly design of mounting electronics to a hot and vibrating engine is going to be reliable.

Tom

Couldn't be any less reliable than mounting a bunch of switches, magnets, coils and other moving parts to a hot and vibrating engine. ;)

Magnetos are pretty reliable, they tend to deteriorate and the points need to be replaced, but don’t often fail catastrophically. My AP who works on alot of experimentals told me EI units fail often. I assume the certified versions are similar to the experimental versions.
Like I said, I’ll wait, but look forward to hearing PIREPs.

Tom

it appears the best mag to replace would be the left one for better starting.

It's the other way around... your left mag already is a "starting" mag, most likely with an impulse coupling. If you install SureFly on the RIGHT mag, and remove the shorting jumper from the back of your magneto switch, then BOTH mags will fire on startup... making easy starts even more likely.

Paul

Because of my switch setup, the left mag is the one I start with, so that's why.

Assuming you have the conventional magneto key switch, you only need to remove a jumper on the back of it to start on BOTH mags... your impulse coupling on the left mag, and your new SureFly on the right mag... so all the plugs are firing for a sure start.

Paul

Assuming you have the conventional magneto key switch, you only need to remove a jumper on the back of it to start on BOTH mags... your impulse coupling on the left mag, and your new SureFly on the right mag... so all the plugs are firing for a sure start.

Paul
I do not.

I'm looking for a certified electronic ignition option. My slick mags are over the 500 hour mark but still running great. I have a IO-540 lycoming engine in a Comanche. Suggestions?
Why sweat the 500 hour mark? Do the points and condenser, and IRAN. Should be good for another 500 hours or more.

Why sweat the 500 hour mark? Do the points and condenser, and IRAN. Should be good for another 500 hours or more.

I'd like the advanced timing. But so far not certified in my plane, Comanche 250, except in fixed timing.
Rebuilding my slicks, I've been told, would be at least $500 a mag.... or more. Is that wrong?
My slicks are doing great now but are over the 500 mark.

I'd like the advanced timing. But so far not certified in my plane, Comanche 250, except in fixed timing.
Rebuilding my slicks, I've been told, would be at least $500 a mag.... or more. Is that wrong?
My slicks are doing great now but are over the 500 mark.
Doing a 500 hour inspection is pretty dang cheep, unless something major is found. I just got my left mag back from OH, and installed it yesterday.
OH cost was $350,including shipping. new coil, new bearings, new gears, new points, and condenser, new spring in the impulse coupling.

Doing a 500 hour inspection is pretty dang cheep, unless something major is found. I just got my left mag back from OH, and installed it yesterday.
OH cost was $350,including shipping. new coil, new bearings, new gears, new points, and condenser, new spring in the impulse coupling.

Last time I had the mags OH it was more like $850 per mag! Where did you get yours OH at?

My local AP does it for $250 per.

That sounds better, some APs don’t have the bench tester so they just send them off, probably overnight them both ways, so you pay $100 in shipping.
If I’m not in a hurry I remind my AP to use UPS ground.

Tom

My AP who works on alot of experimentals told mine EI units fail often.

I've owned mine for 5 years and have had one ignition module fail. It had ~400 hrs on it at the time of failure. Mileage may vary.

Back