Amazon prime for pilots

benyflyguy

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
benyflyguy
any good amazon prime deals for pilots out there that we should consider??

A bit of a reach for aviation, but bought a 3 pack of Blink XT2 cameras. Gonna add a second one to the hangar and two more outside.

I'm sure I probay paid too much :)

I ordered a iPad case from em, not prime day just a gripe. It’s supposed to be a knee board too, but the knew strap only works if case is open flat, not back n itself... uggh. Gunna have to modify it...

A bit of a reach for aviation, but bought a 3 pack of Blink XT2 cameras. Gonna add a second one to the hangar and two more outside.

I'm sure I probay paid too much :)

Did the five cam one. If I hate it I’ll sell it. Ha.

I actually found some Origami paper (paper airplanes, aviation related) but it was crap paper, so I didn't buy any.

Some stuff only comes available for discount for a period of time.

Didn’t search for airplane related, but We bought a couple of Echo’s, a roomba, and a pair of camping pads (to lay on), all discounted pretty well.

I actually found some Origami paper (paper airplanes, aviation related) but it was crap paper, so I didn't buy any.

What is the best paper for Origami? 24lb? 30lb? Card Stock? Onion skin? (OK, I know that's probably not the best)

Did the five cam one. If I hate it I’ll sell it. Ha.
The Blink products are interesting and weren't exactly my favorite at first. The number one thing you will notice is how slow they are compared to an up and running IP camera (I like IP cameras and don't mind port forwarding setups, etc).

But now I am into 1 year and the one at the hangar has been so handy. I added a $10/month Verizon hotspot. Placed the hotspot, smaller usb chargers and the blink hub in small enclosure. Bought a $20 antennaue for the hotspot and bring that out of the housing but still in the hangar. We also have a 120VAC Ethernet switch for the tannis heater. What I like about that wifi switch is gives out real time current draw so I can see that the Tannis is actually drawing power and not need another lightbulb. The wifi power switch has always worked though.

So I am going to add a second Blink to the hangar over on the other side so I get better coverage of the access door and other side of the plane. The first blink made it through the winter and we had our share of cold nights (-30F, some almost -40F) and gosh darn but that little thing still wakes up and takes a picture. I think the weekest link in a Blink remote setup is the hotspot and signal. I also like that the Blink use a IR sensor to trigger it vs always running video. I would have liked IP camera at the hangar but the signal (4G upload) isn't good enough and I didn't want to buy one rated for -40F where the Blink seems to work.

At home the Blink's still have a delay but not nearly as much as the live video is better. I do like the motion triggered captures via the IR sensor. Have had a cat trip it off and heavy snow did it once. But being on the home network its good enough. So I the next 2 will cover the side of the house we can't see and the spot the dog is most likely to lounging at.

I am not a fan of the Echo (we just really hated it) so I'm just using the Blink app and not coordinated with Echo. We use SmartThings for automation but I don't see Blink (Amazon) ever supporting smartthings (Samsung?).

Nate and Brad - Blink influencers! My wife's been bugging me to set up home security (and yeah, it's about time, since I spent way too much time on installing a big system at church). So, 5 pack of Blink XT from Amazon on its way. Thanks, guys!

What is the best paper for Origami? 24lb? 30lb? Card Stock? Onion skin? (OK, I know that's probably not the best)
Depends on what you want to make. I use some card stock for boxes, though I shoot for something a bit lighter. I fold lots of things from Kami, the Japanese origami paper which really is the gold standard for commercially available stuff. I use a number of art papers for projects, and quite a few materials made in the studios of the Steinholme.

Nate and Brad - Blink influencers! My wife's been bugging me to set up home security (and yeah, it's about time, since I spent way too much time on installing a big system at church). So, 5 pack of Blink XT from Amazon on its way. Thanks, guys!

So how did yours work out? I’m liking mine.

The one annoyance is that a wasp has decided he loves my deck camera and he sets off the motion detect all day. LOL.

So far so good ... we have bats that set off the rear door camera a couple of times every night ... stupid neighborhood cat sets the front door off at 2:00 am every morning, and the various raccoons and skunks what use our front walk as a highway ... but yeah - two thumbs up.
One negative is I want one camera in a location that shows very poor reception, so maybe need to move the module more central in the house ... and upgrade the network to replace the airport

Once you go past about 3 cameras in spread out locations strategic placement of the little hub can be a challenge.

For the cat one, maybe you box off and exclude right by the ground?

I mask off the top row in the hangar so birds don't set it off. Same for our partial street facing where I leave out 2 columns.

The camera points nearly straight down on the sidewalk and the cat/skunk/raccoon traffic. I probably need to move it for better angles on the sidewalk.
I did successfully mask off the section that sees the street, so that works.

I ran across something that’s not ideal about them. Single user.

They’re a “security” product and they are pushing single username and a shared password amongst however many people need access to the camera system.

Whichever engineer decided not to do multi-user support correctly, definitely needs to be taken out back and whipped. No excuse for that in 2019.

Don’t know what other camera systems are doing these days but the concept of a master user and the ability to add other users just seems like a rather basic eff-up to me these days.

For us, two people, not horrid. But it should be done right.

The request to do it has been in their feature request database for years, I found today. Ignoring the userbase on that one just comes across as completely clueless that they’re even in the security biz.

317CF80F-1A6A-412F-B872-1EB322D43E1D.jpeg Here’s an idea for those looking for ‘home security’. I have to keep her dialed back much of the time, I’m just backup.

View attachment 78213 Here’s an idea for those looking for ‘home security’. I have to keep her dialed back much of the time, I’m just backup.

Ours is half shepherd, half black lab. He looks more like a taller, skinnier lab, guards and acts like a shep, and doesn't like anyone strange getting near his pack.

I ran across something that’s not ideal about them. Single user.

They’re a “security” product and they are pushing single username and a shared password amongst however many people need access to the camera system.

Whichever engineer decided not to do multi-user support correctly, definitely needs to be taken out back and whipped. No excuse for that in 2019.

Don’t know what other camera systems are doing these days but the concept of a master user and the ability to add other users just seems like a rather basic eff-up to me these days.

For us, two people, not horrid. But it should be done right.

The request to do it has been in their feature request database for years, I found today. Ignoring the userbase on that one just comes across as completely clueless that they’re even in the security biz.

Yeah - that made me say "really?" ... but I configured her phone and app with the shared username/password and didn't look back. I can live with that, for a home owners grade product.

Back