Taking RV to Oshkosh

It was NEVER the case that you had to be a member of the EAA to get in the show or even (back when they had a separate admission) the flight line. Yes, they did throw in a 3 month membership one year, but that was kind of a short-lived experiment. The problem with the old flight line qualification was it's a pain having TWO admission gates: one for the regular "riff-raff" and then one at the flight line. Second, being flight line qualified wasn't weeding out the "riff-raff" that was doing things unnice around planes.
When I started going to Oshkosh only EAA and AOPA members could get to the flight line...so you joined EAA.

I don't really have major gripes. We'll see how this RV trip goes.

What kept me away was being able to walk the 5x5 miles. I have my own scooter this time.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

When I started going to Oshkosh only EAA and AOPA members could get to the flight line...so you joined EAA.
Untrue. EAA and AOPA were one of the ways to get in, but so could a pilot certificate and a bunch of other things.
Again, it didn't manage to eliminate the dolts on the flight line.

I'd say ignore the naysayers. You will really enjoy RV camping at Scholler, even in the field (non-hookup sites). We did it last year and it was really a great way to see the show. There is plenty of space for tent camping that is out of the way and quiet. There seems to be infinite space for RV camping. The only real complaint is how far you must walk from the show to get to the far ends of the campground. Be ready for that!

Clara is still in the shop. Gots lotsa time right?

There's some law about RV repair where the mechanics leave it parked outside unmoved for weeks on months to allow time for it to heal naturally.

They promise they'll fix the engine A/C.

I told them I MUST have the generator working. So....1) they'll fix the generator and I'll bag a hook up site so I won't need it, or 2) they won't fix it and I won't get a hook up and I'll die from no A/C.

I will got a round tuit to make a packing list and start staging stuff.

Clara is out of the shop.
The engine A/C and steering damper are fixed!

The Muse gave me a solution to the generator problem: use my portable generator! I have two. We were able to get only the 3500 watt generator to run. I hope that will be enough to run the RV A/C.

Being that I have this solution, I should be guranteed to get a hook-up spot.

It's a lot more pleasant to drive now.

I have to load up and putter on the motorhome and trailer for the few days before it hits the road for Oshkosh.

EAA said:

I gots my hookup site!
The EAA site doesn't make it easy to figure out where it is. You reserve the site by space number which not-so-helpfully is NOT on the map.
I went with the last site available in the block, figuring that other folks know which locations are desirable.

I have my hopped-up sporty scooter so I don't have ta walk. Woot!

Clara is parked and connected in Camp Scholler.

It went well except that a certain driver spent way to much of the day running around the chaos at home packing way too much and taking care of last minute stuff in the house.

So I arrived at OSH about an hour after sunset. It was dark. Being that there is no map showing which spot is where I drove for almost an hour doing a binary search to find the spot, while trying to avoid disturbing any sleeping campers.

It was dark. I couldn't see the most of numbers on the signposts.

It was dark. I couldn't see where the mud holes where until the wheels spun.

In spite of that it was dark, I drove by the spot but had to push my luck and find it from the opposite direction.

I was really close when ...

I rocked the RV but it wouldn't make progress.

Finally, I figured I had RV road service so I called.

"We have a truck that will come out after 8 tomorrow....

Then the engine wouldn't start. Dead. dead.

So I got to enjoy just what I was afraid of: a night camped inside with no electric, no A/C.

I survived with a lot of worry and discomfort. Worry that my phone battery would die so I couldn't get the call in the morning. I had the foresight to pack a spare charger pack.

The coach battery held up amazingly well, even with powering the fridge.

So the service and tow guy called and I guided him to the disaster.

He winched out the Clarion with trailer attached.
Using his jumper box didn't work.

I was going to be abandoned in the aisle when I asked if he could drag me to my spot which HAD to be close and we could see now in the light and everything.

The spot was literally just 2 bay, maybe 100 feet away and IT HAD MY NAME ON IT.

With a couple of moves Clara got into her spot and I got power and water.

I finally had an early lunch after missing dinner and breakfast.

NOW how should I go about getting an engine repair if the battery doesn't come back? It may need a solenoid or starter.

I would like a mobile repair but that's a bit too much to hope for.

Has anybody used a local mechanic in Oshkosh? I see a couple that are well reviewed.

I may end up staying after Airventure I'd it gets towed out. It's possible that I can send the trailer back with Joan in my MKX.

It's always sumtin.
3c7184186262286f39d6812eea8da5fe.jpg
eafb0a882d9d6b1e697f027b10cbed78.jpg

After 30 trips to OSH, the big question for me each year is deciding on the 24 hour generator area. I always stay there just in case I need to run it at night, but rarely have I had to. Good luck.

IMO, if you have a fridge that will run on propane you're probably OK without a generator or hookups.

There is a dump/fill station down on one end of Scholler but if you need it done during the week there is a truck that comes around. I think you either call them or sign up for the service at the camp store.

The "honey wagon" gets hired by going to a booth that's across from the Red One Market camp store near the Fly Market entrance. It's on the south side of the north branch of Schaick Ave, west of Forest Home. Roughly at ///Choices.Prude.Utter (and What 3 Words is an excellent app to have if you're trying to meet up with someone anywhere at OSH).

The cost was reasonable for not having to break down and re-setup camp.

But it'll still make you think. To both empty the gray and black water tanks and fill the fresh water tank was $106.50 last year.

I did spring for it mid-week (obviously) but made use of the free dump station near the south exit at the end of the week.

Looking to rent an RV myself this year. Has anybody ever used www.rvshare.com?

I've browsed for sure. I borrowed a travel trailer from a friend last year, but it's out of commission this year. Outdoorsy.com is another similar site.

I thought about taking the camper up but the camp ground seems like a free for all with no organization. Maybe I'm wrong but it sounds chaotic driving in and staking a claim to a spot.

It's not like everyone shows up simultaneously, and the campground is huge. The farther out you aim, the quicker you'll find a spot. There are people who drive for hours looking for one.

The worst event will be if I have to sweat all night without A/C.

By the time you need to shut off the generators, you won't need A/C any more. In fact, I had to run the furnace at night in the one I borrowed last year.

Is it hot at night in Wisconsin? I have never visited the state, and was under the impression that I could sleep comfortably in my RV with windows open and maybe a fan at night.

I would say no. I've had occasions where I got so cold at night in a tent that I had to get in my car and drive it up and down the interstate to get the heat blasting, and then sleep in the car the rest of the night. And, as previously mentioned, I needed the heat at night in the RV last year, not the A/C. I'm sure there are times where A/C would be nice, but I've always done fine with just a battery powered fan... And I've rarely used that at night. These days, normally what I do with it is if I'm in a tent I plug it into a solar panel so it comes on when the sun rises in the morning.

The rest of the rules are either about safety (no unlicensed drivers of vehicles AHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAAHAHAH!!!!! Oh man... if only..)

Well, it really depends how you define "vehicle". Considering that everything from ornithopters to motorized La-Z-Boys are commonly found on the roads in Scholler...

My RV has a colostomy bag.

Yes, I am a klever MacGuy.

(Among other places, the vent fan over the bed drips rain. I did previously have the inspiration to get the cubical clips.)

aab1c8bdb11d1c4668ae91e17e0acd14.jpg

Back