Really?

Timbeck2

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Timbeck2
I hope nobody actually bought this thing for $500. It seems wrong in so many ways.

1. Its in the way getting in and out of the airplane.
2. Looks like it would be a pain to pull full flaps.
3. You still have to push the release button to get the flaps back up.
4. States that you don't have to take your eyes off the runway during critical stages of flight which doesn't make sense as you would already have the flaps down long before a critical stage of flight and if you have to go around, you still have to use the button to retract the flaps.
5. $500? Really?
6. NOT pushing the button while extending the flaps wears out the pin prematurely.
7. $500? Really?

ez-flap-becky-high-res-photo-1.png

Last edited:
You know, it’s really a nuisance to reach that extra 12 inches to pull the j-bar...

Get rich quick idea? :idea:

That's in a late 170-B or an early 172, little people had a hard time reaching that flap handle.

One of the dumber things I have seen. Looks like a great way to crash on go-around as you try to dodge the extender to get to the release button so you can retract the flaps. If it were engineered so that there were a way to push the button with the bar, it wouldn't be so bad... but it doesn't look like the inventor was that bright.

EDIT: I take it back. Since there was no link to the product in the OP, I didn't know there was a trigger to actuate the button on the flap handle. That makes a big difference. Personally I'd prefer a different arrangement, but that's just me, and I dind't design the thing. So... carry on, forget I spoke.

Last edited:
One of the dumber things I have seen. Looks like a great way to crash on go-around as you try to dodge the extender to get to the release button so you can retract the flaps. If it were engineered so that there were a way to push the button with the bar, it wouldn't be so bad... but it doesn't look like the inventor was that bright.
that device wasn't a very good idea.

I hope nobody actually bought this thing for $500. It seems wrong in so many ways.

1. Its in the way getting in and out of the airplane.
2. Looks like it would be a pain to pull full flaps.
From the FAQ, you use the flap handle until the "normal" flap lever is within reach
3. You still have to push the release button to get the flaps back up.
There is a lever on the flap handle that operates the button. Either the button or lever will release the flap from the notch
4. States that you don't have to take your eyes off the runway during critical stages of flight which doesn't make sense as you would already have the flaps down long before a critical stage of flight and if you have to go around, you still have to use the button to retract the flaps.
I don't have the EZ-flap handle, but I can find the button by feel w/o looking. I suspect it's the same with the EZ-flap handle
5. $500? Really?
$464 at Aircraftspruce
6. NOT pushing the button while extending the flaps wears out the pin prematurely.
The button is pushed either via the normal flap lever or the "trigger" on the EZ-Flap handle

I don't have the EZ-Flap, but I've read reviews on other forums and people that have them seem to like them. If you have shoulder harnesses it can be hard for some to reach the flap handle. It comes with an STC, so the price has the FAA approval factor. Is $500 too much? I don't know. I suspect if they didn't sell any Aircraftspruce wouldn't still offer them but I don't have any data to back that up.

That thin would be sweet if you were missing a right hand ie, RH amputee. I've never used one.

Had J-bar flaps in the Cherokee. Didn't think it much of an imposition to deploy flaps for landing. Of course, that thing is a joke if you think about the J-bar gear in the Mooney. I can see where it would be a thing in those Cessnas, since you do have to reach way down to press the button. Still, I tend to put in flaps before I hit the pattern, so I can still see the runway.

OH.. that makes all the difference. $500, no way, but hey... I could save $36!!! ;)

Didn't say it made any difference. I listed because it's a data point. I wouldn't have responded for that reason alone.

I don't really care one way or the other. I only responded because on other forums they get some good reviews (and on the aircraftspruce website).

Just trying to add data. Back to lurking mode for me.

Didn't say it made any difference. I listed because it's a data point. I wouldn't have responded for that reason alone.

I don't really care one way or the other. I only responded because on other forums they get some good reviews (and on the aircraftspruce website).

Just trying to add data. Back to lurking mode for me.

My post may have come across as making fun of you or your post... in hindsight, I can certainly see how it could have been taken that way, and I apologize. That wasn't my intention at all. I don't have any first hand knowledge of the device, but as a Cherokee PA28-140 owner I share the OPs wonderment at the cost and questionable utility of it. The difference in price didn't change those thoughts, and that's all I meant. Again... my apologies if you felt slighted by my post.

I've spent a lot of money on those. Now the handle she's pulling, no, I wouldn't be caught dead with that in my plane!

I can't easily reach the flap handle in the 182 with the shoulder straps on properly. I've somehow managed to get it done though.

There is no facepalm hard enough to justify this

Even if it’s a reach- I pull last bit of flaps long before I’m right close to runway! I can’t imagine retracting them would require looking away from runway... for half an AMU I could find other goodies I’d prefer.

Maybe spend more time on ground in cockpit with blindfold reaching for things to create muscle memory of location of things...

It appears you werent the only one that thought it's absurd (NSFW):
And no, I don't know who made that ^^

Original:

In all the time I've flown Pipers with that type of flap handle it never occurred to me that this was or could be a problem.

In all the time I've flown Pipers with that type of flap handle it never occurred to me that this was or could be a problem.
To be fair, I seem to recall Piper seats are MUCH closer to the floor (and flap handle) than Cessna seats.

To be fair, I seem to recall Piper seats are MUCH closer to the floor (and flap handle) than Cessna seats.

And also to be fair, I fly a Cherokee and all the Cessna's I've flown had electric flaps.

Having said that, if she can reach the trim wheel, she should be able to reach the flap handle.

I'll pile on here. The J bar on the flaps in the Arrow was never a problem. All the Cessnas I've flown are new enough to use electric flaps. I can think of other things to spend 0.5 AMU on.

While the price is a little steep (but what STC'd mod isn't?) I actually do see value in this product. No comparison between the reach required to reach the Johnson bar in PA28's and early Cessna's. When you're taking off in a canyon do you really want to be hunched over taking your eyes off of the mountain and/or traffic when you take out that last notch of flaps?

Believe it or not, I've seen an older version of this many years ago, mounted on a C-170 owned by a gentleman of lesser stature...

I installed one of these in a customer's 180. The guy loved it. Real pilots that have flown 180/185s know that it's a long reach down to get that lever, and after touchdown it's often nice to be able to retract the flaps to get more traction for braking. In a taildragger you don't dare take your eyes off the runway, and to bend down to work that lever you lose sight of things. And if you don't have inertia reel shoulder harnesses you either fly with the belt loose, or you get this thing.

$500. Yup, really. STC's cost money, and small sales volumes mean it will take a long time to recoup the funds, if you ever do, or you charge more.

Reactions: Ted
It’s because Pipers have inertia reels and Cessna was too lazy to do an inertia reel so with the shoulder belt adjusted properly, some people have difficulty reaching it.

Back