Oshkosh or bust...trip planning

Thanks. Not really sure if we are traveling light or not. It's a 182B with a 990 pound useful load and we are taking the back seat out. Since we have been the last several years but not flown in, we hope to do a lot of just getting to know people in the north 40, watch the arrivals and just take it all in vs being rushed as in years past.

I drove the first few years I attended OSH, and camped in Scholler. But since buying my first plane a couple of decades ago the only way to experience OSH is to fly in and camp with the plane! You'll enjoy it. The pace in the North 40 campground is pretty relaxed, most everyone is super friendly, lots of airplane talk. Make sure to take a tarp, ropes and stakes for over the wing. It's nice to have a place to get out of the sun (and rain). And pool noodles to cover the trailing edge of the flaps. ;)

My routine is to get there early, fill the beer coolers with ice, set up the tents, break out the lawn chairs, tune the portable radio to one of the tower frequencies and then sit back and watch the craziness as the incoming traffic builds. Some of the controllers will be doing live improv; they can be real comedians at times.

I drove the first few years I attended OSH, and camped in Scholler. But since buying my first plane a couple of decades ago the only way to experience OSH is to fly in and camp with the plane! You'll enjoy it. The pace in the North 40 campground is pretty relaxed, most everyone is super friendly, lots of airplane talk. Make sure to take a tarp, ropes and stakes for over the wing. It's nice to have a place to get out of the sun (and rain). And pool noodles to cover the trailing edge of the flaps. ;)

My routine is to get there early, fill the beer coolers with ice, set up the tents, break out the lawn chairs, tune the portable radio to one of the tower frequencies and then sit back and watch the craziness as the incoming traffic builds. Some of the controllers will be doing live improv; they can be real comedians at times.
The pool noodles is a great idea! Thanks!

The pool noodles is a great idea! Thanks!

I fly mostly Pipers. But the guy in the row directly ahead of me last time I was at OSH put them on his 182 and I thought it was a brilliant idea.

I like the pool noodles idea. Had a tent pole hit the Piper trailing edge a few years back when the wind blew the tent down. I lucked out and it didn't dent the trailing edge. Think I'll pack a few.

One other thing I take to OSH is a few small solar or battery LED garden lights. Stick them in the ground to create a perimeter so people don't cut across and snag your tent/flysheet guy lines in the dark.

Based in Chester CT (KSNC). About 900 miles to OSH. Recently acquired an iPad and ForeFlight, and planning away... what a great technology. Worlds different than the kitchen table planning I did as a kid.

Let me be the first to say... Welcome to Oshkosh (and Wisconsin)!! I know you'll have an excellent adventure. Just be prepared for the absolute fact that it will not be exactly the adventure that you had planned on, and you'll be just fine. :)

Bought a Flight Design which is a comfortable and economical airplane to fly cross country. Dynon A/P is easy to manage and the “Traffic” info is an A+ safety item. Downloaded the OSH Notam and watched a zillion approach videos and viewed lots of OSH posts.. thanks to the people who took the time to post.

Sounds like you are well prepared, as you should be. :thumbsup:

Weather permitting, my plan is to fly the majority of the journey in a single leg, and make it into OSH in a short flight super early in the AM.

There aren't any awards for "longest leg on the way to the show". Take a break. It'll greatly improve your piloting skills toward the end of the day. In fact, if it's going to be more than 8 hours, take two breaks.

A flying pal strongly recommends I arrive on Wednesday to avoid the throng. I wanted to get there early to watch the incoming planes, given my experience level I should probably arrive in light traffic.

Then arrive as early as possible. Wednesday during the show is actually one of the busiest days. In fact, in terms of total operations (landings and takeoffs) it is THE busiest day, according to numbers I've seen.

If you can get here Friday before the show, that should still be relatively light traffic. Even Saturday. Sunday will be pretty busy, more so if the weather was bad on Saturday (like last year). If the weather is bad in Oshkosh from when you get to Wisconsin all the way until Sunday - Maybe just leave the plane somewhere else for a few days. That said, this is the 50th year in Oshkosh and it has never been as bad as it was last year on Sunday (thanks to several days of IMC beforehand) so just think, "it could be worse!" ;)

I’d do the Chicago lakefront for a shortcut.

That's what I do when I have to go East or come home from the East and it's VFR. You'll probably be talking with South Bend Approach if you're on flight following, and they'll probably drop you somewhere between Valparaiso and Gary. At that point, you should be able to get Chicago Approach (Midway) on 128.2... But if Midway's ATIS is advertising the RNAV(GPS) Z to runway 22L as the approach in use, think about going around Chicago the long way, as there'll be airliners crossing the lakeshore descending from 3000 to 2400 and their wake turbulence can really cause you to have a bad day. Otherwise, have at it, and have 120.55 in the standby, they'll hand you off somewhere between downtown and the Bahai Temple (marked on the chart up to the north).

Another clarification, I plan on flying 8-9 hours on leg 1, target arrival is "KETB", near OSH, resting up, fueling up, and then flying the short leg in the early AM). I don't know why the foreflight is showing first a Majenta line, then a blue one... never seen that before, I'm sure I toggled something I didn't mean to...

Again, make that at least two legs, if not three. There are no awards for long legs, and flying that long does take a toll on the brain as well as the butt.

As far as the colors - The magenta line is the currently active leg of the flight plan. After you cross the fix at the end of the magenta line, the next leg will turn magenta and the previous will turn orange. So, blue = future, magenta = present, orange = past.

Good point about the beer... didn’t think that one through... food too... it’s vacation so I plan to eat a lot and often.. how easy is it to buy a pack of beer and ice while staying at the campground ?

This is Wisconsin. There are times you might accidentally drink a beer just because you inhaled. Beer and liquor are readily available. Store sales of beer end at midnight, wine and liquor ends at 9 PM in stores. Bars are open until 2 AM. You can't leave a restaurant with an open container, or have an open container in your car. But, we have no dry counties or any of that crap, and we make and consume insane amounts of beer. And you should buy some Spotted Cow while you're here. It's one of our most popular beers, so much so that we consume the entire production within our state lines. They tried to start exporting it to Illinois a few years ago but simply couldn't produce enough. And don't forget to "donate" the beer you bring from home to the beer coffin in exchange for beers from other places as well. @SixPapaCharlie has been there and can probably tell you where it is. ;)

And Goodwill, so you can buy a bike for transportation during the week, then donate it back to Goodwill.

This is one of those Oshkosh traditions that's been going on forever. :) Love it!

One note on planning: my first OSH was planned like yours. Super specific and well thought out. When it came to the flight, weather caused me to toss the entire plan out the storm window :p Don't fall in love with your plan. :)

Absolutely. This is definitely a time to roll with the punches, right up until the prop stops turning. Enroute weather, avoiding the few crazy antiauthority pilots, last-second ATC instructions, being marshalled to godknowswhere... It's all part of the experience. Whatever happens, it'll be fun, as long as you let it. :)

You tend to meet the best people when you have to change plans. I left on a Wednesday afternoon hoping to make it all the way home but building thunder storms changed my mind. Ended up sharing an uber with two guys from AL that were about my age. We had a great night of dinning and beverages and have stayed in touch sense.

Everyone is your friend in Oshkosh, or on the way there or home: Old friends, new friends, and friends you haven't met yet. The people are really what makes the experience.

This will be my first time flying to OSH, and my first time flying beyond 340 miles, so big trip. The Weather thing is my big concern.

Don't worry about it too much - Just go around the bad weather. Even in a 100-knot plane, it's not that big of a difference. On any long leg, if you go 10% of the leg distance off route in the middle of the leg, you only add about 1% of the linear distance. IE, deviating 100 miles off course in the middle of a 1000-mile leg adds only 10 miles of distance flown to the trip. On long legs, this can help you get around big weather in the middle without significantly affecting trip time.

And, if the weather sucks at a planned stop - Well, then go with plan B or plan C instead. All that really matters is that you don't get into weather you can't handle and that you always have plenty of fuel. Keep her pointed in the right general direction when things look good and you'll be fine.

2-What is the thought from ones who have been numerous times on departing Thursday morning vs afternoon. Seems like Thursday morning there is a huge push to get out?

I would say there's a push every morning. Yes, even Monday. If you wait until maybe 11 or noon it'll die down somewhat, and the field doesn't close until 2 for the airshow. The later you get in the week, the more departures there'll be after the airshow.

That said, the departure isn't a super huge deal. I generally depart Sunday after the airshow, when they pretty much clean out the entire field in about 2.5 hours, using both sides of both runways (left and right of the centerline), with an aircraft departing every 1500 feet. But, each runway has its direction(s) where everyone fans out away from the field and then people turn on course clearing the D and it pretty much is a non-event. Follow the NOTAM.

Bring 3 square plates to roll the wheels up on for parking in the soft grass.
I use plywood 12”x12”
Just throw them away as you leave.
A lot easier to pull the plane out when leaving.
Welcome to Oshkosh. :)

Great advice all... thank you. Just got the plane out of annual in record time thanks to the Flight Design crew in Woodstock CT. I am conservative by nature so no weather heroics for me. Weather looks tough here in CT Weds and Thurs and iffy Friday AM. I may leave tomorrow and just take my time and make the hotels rich and make a 3 days trip out of it. I would like to arrive OSH on Friday and watch the arrivals over the weekend. I never ever tire of watching airplanes land and/or take off.
Will study the weather tonight and make a shove off decision.

It looks like Barry is going to make me depart a day early. Weather thought Ohio will suck Wednesday.

Great advice all... thank you. Just got the plane out of annual in record time thanks to the Flight Design crew in Woodstock CT. I am conservative by nature so no weather heroics for me. Weather looks tough here in CT Weds and Thurs and iffy Friday AM. I may leave tomorrow and just take my time and make the hotels rich and make a 3 days trip out of it. I would like to arrive OSH on Friday and watch the arrivals over the weekend. I never ever tire of watching airplanes land and/or take off.
Will study the weather tonight and make a shove off decision.

Check out this link on the AvWXworkshop YouTube channel. Might help you out:

I've gone from excited to anxious and back to excited again! Our plan is to launch Saturday morning around 4AM and end up in Watertown, WI that night. We do that every year, getting a hotel room for one last night of hanging out with friends and then we have a short hop into KOSH the next morning. If anyone else is planning on being in Watertown on Saturday night, let me know. We'll be in the Mexican restaurant across the street!

Looking forward to seeing some of you in OSH.

48317812732_f1d0e31eff_z.jpg

My plan A was to leave tomorrow (Friday), not looking good weather wise. Then Plan B was last Tuesday. Now, it looks like Wednesday for Thursday arrival (Plan C).
I hope there is room in the Airplane Campground on Thursday... There is always Fon du Lac.

My plan A was to leave tomorrow (Friday), not looking good weather wise. Then Plan B was last Tuesday. Now, it looks like Wednesday for Thursday arrival (Plan C).
I hope there is room in the Airplane Campground on Thursday... There is always Fon du Lac.

The weather Monday and Tuesday next week isn't looking that bad, you could go then.

I figured if I arrived OSH on Monday or Tuesday... there wouldn't be any plane camp spaces left.

I’ve never used stmp before, so noob question: I set up an IFR reservation for Sunday morning, 1300Z (8am). I assume that’s the time I plan to actually arrive, correct? It gave me FLD, but at least I’ve got it as a backup plan.
When I actually file right before, I put the confirmed # in the remarks?

I’m coming up from central IL, so not far. NOTAM said to plan PNT V9 OSH. Really? All the zigzagging?

Just want to make sure I time the departure to hit the arrival time if needed.

Thanks!

I’m coming up from central IL, so not far. NOTAM said to plan PNT V9 OSH. Really? All the zigzagging?

KELSI, on V9, is commonly assigned as the fix to keep you out of Chicago Approach's airspace when going to/from Wisconsin. Depending on where exactly you're coming from, you might be able to negotiate for direct Madison, or at least direct KELSI and then direct Madison. You'll likely need to be at or below 8,000 feet as well.

Back