FltPlan Go Help/Confusion/Forum?

MuseChaser

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
MuseChaser
I've been using FltPlan Go for a year or two and, at the very least, it has proven itself as one of the best EFBs in its price range.. ;) Seriously, I do like it. However, one the few occasions I haven't been able to figure something out by either trial and error or reading the pdf manual, there doesn't seem to be much additional help available. Google searches usually just come up with the same press/PR releases from Fltplan or Garmin, or reviews of the app itself. ARE there any active forums for users?

A couple questions, just in case anyone here is willing and able to help out. I use it on a Samsung Galaxy Tab S2, Android 7.0.

1. When updating the app, frequently it'll tell me that all of my sectionals, enroute charts, procedures, etc., are all expired and i'll have to download them all again. This happened today... again. When I click the "update all expired" button, I get messages saying "XXXXXXX is alread in queue," then the updates fail and I have to click on each chart manually to place them in the queue.. then wait for them to all download. I dread the days I planned to go flying, then wake up to find out there's an update to the app that day and I have to waste an hour redownloading unexpired charts. Thoughts?

2. Today... something new. When I opened the app after receiving the app update (not chart updates, the app update), the first map that showed was an actual detailed ROAD map, and I'd never seen that before. I went to the "Layers" tab/offline and saw that "sectional" was deselected. Selected it, and the sectional was displayed. Just for yuks, it'd be cool to be able to get the road map back, but there's no way to NOT select one of the aviation charts. Anyone else seen that?

3. AND... it'd be GREAT to have them finally support AHRS on Android. I've emailed their support several times over the years and always got the "we're working on it and hope to implement it soon" response. Anyone have any insight?

I know that probably the majority of folks use ForeFlight/iStuff, and it's probably great, but solutions like "switch apps," "Android sucks," or the like won't be helpful to me. My budget is what it is, and I don't own any apple stuff, nor a smart phone of any kind. Thanks for any thoughts/tips or links to existing FltPlan Go forums or topics.

Sigh.. OK.. STILL trying to update the Victor Low and Sectional charts. After downloading, they still show as red "expired" icons. I've deleted them completely using the "delete all expired" button, then downloaded them again, but they STILL show as expired after downloading. What the heck?!!??

I love FltPlan Go and would never switch to any of the paid services like FF or Garmin.
I can't really answer your questions but I did have some trouble with the app recently. The SW sectional would not update. I got a msg that in order to update, I needed to delete the current SW sectional. I deleted it and after re-downloading it, it worked fine.
The other day the app kept centering to the wrong location on the iPad. I was at home, connected to the wifi and it disregarded my actual location and kept jumping into a different area on the map. I tried restarting the app, restarting the iPad, but it kept centering onto the wrong location. I played with the little gear icon clicking on Track Up, North Up and Track Forward and after a minute or two, it fixed itself.

"delete all expired" button
Try to delete each file one by one. Instead of clicking the "delete all expired files", select each file by pressing and holding down, and confirm "delete selected file?" in the small jump-up window. Once all is deleted, quit the app, restart your device and start downloading again.

I dread the days I planned to go flying, then wake up to find out there's an update to the app that day and I have to waste an hour redownloading unexpired charts
takes an hour for you to download? Are you using wifi? Sometimes I randomly select charts for a region other than my own, and it takes max 5 minutes to download them all. If you're on your cellular data plan I can imagine it takes that long :(

“I dread the days I planned to go flying, then wake up to find out there's an update to the app that day and I have to waste an hour redownloading unexpired charts. Thoughts?”

I am a Garmin Pilot user, but keep FltPlan Go on my iPad as a backup. I never update either app the day of, or even a day or two prior to, a flight. Garmin Pilot staff themselves have told me that’s a good strategy.

I love FltPlan Go and would never switch to any of the paid services like FF or Garmin.
I can't really answer your questions but I did have some trouble with the app recently. The SW sectional would not update. I got a msg that in order to update, I needed to delete the current SW sectional. I deleted it and after re-downloading it, it worked fine.

Yeah, I got that message, I think dated June 9th, on my tab and on my wife's Asus tab which we use as a backup. That didn't cause a problem.. did what they (and you above) suggested and all was well.

The other day the app kept centering to the wrong location on the iPad. I was at home, connected to the wifi and it disregarded my actual location and kept jumping into a different area on the map. I tried restarting the app, restarting the iPad, but it kept centering onto the wrong location. I played with the little gear icon clicking on Track Up, North Up and Track Forward and after a minute or two, it fixed itself.

Maybe I can help YOU with that, although you're probably already aware of this. You can turn the auto-centering on or off by touching that bullseye-lookin' thing on the bottom right of the map screen. When it's green, auto-centering is active, when it's grey it's not and you can drag the map anywhere. It can be hard to see when it's grey, depending upon what part of a section it overlays.

Try to delete each file one by one. Instead of clicking the "delete all expired files", select each file by pressing and holding down, and confirm "delete selected file?" in the small jump-up window. Once all is deleted, quit the app, restart your device and start downloading again.

I've done all that... still doing it. Just tried following your directions to a "T" for the third time, including the individual delete of each file, quitting the app, even confirmed that there were no files in that storage directory using a file manager app, restarting the tablet, opening FPGo, downloading the NE sectional first singly... and once downloaded, it immediately shows as expired. Grrrrrrr...

takes an hour for you to download? Are you using wifi? Sometimes I randomly select charts for a region other than my own, and it takes max 5 minutes to download them all. If you're on your cellular data plan I can imagine it takes that long :(

It's on my home wifi, a 5ghz ac system, routinely getting over 100Mbps on clean test runs. The download speed indication w/in FPGo when downloading charts typically reads around 6.0MB/s, which I believe translates to roughly 48Mbps, so that's not too bad. Maybe it just SEEMS like an hour because of issues like the one I'm experience now? ;)

Heard back from support folks... had to download the new airport database first, then the other charts. That worked.

Today's conundrum... for some reason, there's a route from CYMX to CYYZ linked to my account that wasn't there before... Montreal to Toronto. Obviously, that ain't me. Why did it download when I synced my account?!? It only appears in the app... it's not on the fltplan.com website when I log in.

Heard back from support folks... had to download the new airport database first, then the other charts. That worked.

Today's conundrum... for some reason, there's a route from CYMX to CYYZ linked to my account that wasn't there before... Montreal to Toronto. Obviously, that ain't me. Why did it download when I synced my account?!? It only appears in the app... it's not on the fltplan.com website when I log in.

I get this all the time. When I fire up the app, a random route shows up. I was able to minimize this by entering my own custom route and saving it to the app.
Then, that route shows up when you start FltPlan Go.

I asked support about this (their support is really responsive and awesome), and they said if you don't have any current or future routes in your personal account, they'll add sample routes from their generic account. If you put in a route in your account, the generic ones wont show up. Just put a route in for 6 months in the future, and the random one won't show for at least 6 months.

Back